Model Cars Magazine Forum

Whats your work area like?

This is mine..

The idea was to do all painting in the booth on the right, and build on the benchtop on the left. As it turned out, the booth was better lit than the bench workspace, so the building tend to happen in the booth as well. About the booth; It has two fans. One powerful high capacity squirrel cage that I turn on while spraying, for catching all overspray and fog. Then there is a tiny little box fan (about 2 CFM) mounted in the top of the booth , that I use when paint is drying. The idea is to collect the fumes and bring them outside, without loosing too much heated (read climate controlled) air. What I found while building in there was that that minute airflow is enough to keep the scent from the glue out of my nose. So in effect the booth turned out to be my workspace, and the rest of the room is storage...

Mine is a 10x12 room the wife and I built in my garage. It's insulate and heated using a electric heater that works great. I built two work stations using counter tops bought at Menard's as well as some unfinished cabinets that we painted and installed for hobby supply storage. The floor used to look pretty good, but wear and tear has taken it's toll. We plan to  redo the floor in the spring. I still need to build a spray booth yet as well, For now I use a large cardboard box I keep outside the entry door in the main garage.

This is my secondary workbench The tall cabinet is were I store a few of my unbuilt models. The heater you see heats the entire room. Even when it got below zero last winter it kept the room right around 70 degrees.

DSCF6125

This is my primary work station where I do most of my work and where eventually I plan to add a spray booth.

DSCF6119

DSCF6126

DSCF6121

This section I call my wifes corner where she hangs out when she comes out to see what I'm working on. It is the area of the room directly opposite my main work station. And yes those are batteries in the corner. They belong to our motorhome. It's where I store them for the winter months. The brown dresser houses my scratch building plastics and a few hobby tools as well as a drawer I use for my extra pieces and parts. The file cabinet is where I keep all my spare rags as well as thinners. The upper cabinet houses parts kits as well as extra odds and ends supplies.

DSCF6123

The room is a work in progress and is always being added onto as I need more storage for the hobby.

Edited by microwheel

There's a lot of great workspaces folks.

My current digs gave me room to expand. The first pic is from the apartment I just moved out of. This is a stolen corner of my bedroom.

The next three are the Extended Edition Director's Cut Extravaganza Widescreen IMAX version in my new home.

I earned it the hard way.

DSC01927.thumb.JPG.9781f224db3226189714620150915_134444.thumb.jpg.5fcaa862edb9f820150915_134514.thumb.jpg.d4e5c4f6dfbbeb20150930_185532_001.thumb.jpg.985b33c22c

My model work place is a mess.  Heck, my work place period, is a mess.  When the cleaning woman wants to do the place, I panic.  I usually want a three day warning, just to bring everything to a safe haven.  I've learned though a cool method.  I tell her she'll die if she touches anything, just do the floors....and stay away from those compressed air pistols I have everywhere to otherwise blow the dust around.

It's chaos.  But I know where everything is (except half the micro nuts and bolts I let slip away).  There gone later, she's thorough with the floors.  I won't show any pics.

For those of you who don't have a work area, don't give up.  I built one of my best models at my kitchen table.

I had construction going on at the house that took away my model building space, but I had a project to do for my club's upcoming contest.  I had a board that was previously a shelf to work on to protect my table.  I clamped a light on the table edge.  I did my spray painting out on my deck (this was December in New Jersey!)

Every evening after dinner I'd set up. I'd work a few hours, then I'd have to break down again.  I put supplies in a shoe box, and the model on the board. I had small kids then so I would put the whole thing up on top of the refrigerator each night.  And the next day, I'd do it all over again!

I did get the model done in time for the contest.  I found that having to set up and break down each day kept me more organized.  And the model became one of my favorites!

So where there is a will, there is a way!

pyrite front

and this is the model... you may have seen it before!

There's a lot of great workspaces folks.

My current digs gave me room to expand. The first pic is from the apartment I just moved out of. This is a stolen corner of my bedroom.

The next three are the Extended Edition Director's Cut Extravaganza Widescreen IMAX version in my new home.

I earned it the hard way.

DSC01927.thumb.JPG.9781f224db3226189714620150915_134444.thumb.jpg.5fcaa862edb9f820150915_134514.thumb.jpg.d4e5c4f6dfbbeb20150930_185532_001.thumb.jpg.985b33c22c

GREAT LOOKING DISPLAY CABINATE!!

IMG 3010

I have several show cases.  This was my original old china cabinet.  I got it for free when my sister was moving and didn't want it. It sits up in the model room and contains part of my Old Kustom Kollection.

IMG 3009

This huge monster sits in my office.This is where I keep all my precious built models.  It's easy to show guests since it's near the family room. I bought it at a consignment store for $150 plus $50 for delivery.  The fake wood on the bottom circular doors has discolored and I will paint them black or something one of these days.  It's on the first floor in the office because it's so friggin heavy that several of us couldn't get it upstairs. It is two pieces.

Both the china cabinets will be getting extra shelves. There is space for an additional glass shelf between each existing shelf.

IMG 3011

This small curio cabinet was a curbside find.  Someone put it out for the trash. There was nothing wrong with it.

IMG 3010

I have several show cases.  This was my original old china cabinet.  I got it for free when my sister was moving and didn't want it. It sits up in the model room and contains part of my Old Kustom Kollection.

IMG 3009

This huge monster sits in my office.This is where I keep all my precious built models.  It's easy to show guests since it's near the family room. I bought it at a consignment store for $150 plus $50 for delivery.  The fake wood on the bottom circular doors has discolored and I will paint them black or something one of these days.  It's on the first floor in the office because it's so friggin heavy that several of us couldn't get it upstairs. It is two pieces.

Both the china cabinets will be getting extra shelves. There is space for an additional glass shelf between each existing shelf.

IMG 3011

This small curio cabinet was a curbside find.  Someone put it out for the trash. There was nothing wrong with it.

Very cool, Tom!!  Itl be a while before I need more cabinets myself. I only have 14 built models, and my cabinet can hold 40 with each car in its own case still. dust can still get in cabinets and ruin the models.

IMG 3009

It's on the first floor in the office because it's so friggin heavy that several of us couldn't get it upstairs. It is two pieces.

Tom, I remember the good olden days when either of us could have hauled that bad boy upstairs alone while eating a sandwich.:o;)

It was the same with mine, but it was one piece. When it started to shift on the dolly, it made it from the truck to the garage to the hobby room. Period. Done. Uncle.

Roger......how cool is your place!!!  I hope you can get it all set back up.  Way to nice to be stuck in storage..:(

Thanks John, it took 10 years to get to that point, I've got a great wife that was always looking for things I could use. I have the stuff , just need a place for it to go.

It is always fun to see a tread like this one, all of the work areas are great . For many years I used an old discarded vanity with one drawer missing. Made a great place for my compressor !

I built this bench with benchwork from my old model rr. It disassembles easily and this is the second house it has been in.

It is always fun to see a tread like this one, all of the work areas are great . For many years I used an old discarded vanity with one drawer missing. Made a great place for my compressor !

I built this bench with benchwork from my old model rr. It disassembles easily and this is the second house it has been in.

PC034353.jpg

ADAPT AND OVERCOME, SEAN!!!  :lol: