Model Cars Magazine Forum

Did anyone make?

Hi all just wanted to ask if anyone made the 1972 Dodge Charger ? Im looking to get one for a 1/1 Copy.  I do know that the Model Haus does make the front and rear bumpers and grill.

If there is anyone out there with one please get in touch

Thanks

Edited by Doobie

What about getting one of the 71's and converting it?  Modelhaus carries the bumpers to change it over.  Worst part might be changing the rear quarter windows. I'm tempted to do the same thing to make a '73.  We had one in the family we bought new and had it for years until it got hit.

1971-1972 Charger shared the same quarter window and "upkick" design ; 1973-1974 shared that quarter window / c-pillar with the 1971-1974 Satellite , Road Runner , et al.

To convert the AMT '71 Charger to a 1972 would be a decent undertaking : door skins , hood (the louvered one in the kit is a '71-only offering , although the bulge is the same) , interior (different upholstery pattern) , would be the most difficult . No outward changes to the 440 ; just paint it in its proper colours ( "1972 Blue" with an orange air cleaner ) .

Keep checking eBay , et al. , for the MPC annual . I got a built-up for a song !

Decent builders will bring anywhere from $30 to $80, all depends on condition , either way they are not terribly hard to find,,,just be patient.. When i sold the one I had maybe a year or so ago, It only brought maybe $50 . It had been  built/painted but taken back apart and stripped . But was complete to build replica stock

71-72 are very similar.......... but 73-74 the body lines are no where close to earlier versions

It sounds like you're building a specific 1:1 car. May I ask what model (base, 500, SE, Rallye) you're building? And does that car have hidden headlights or not? 

The AMT '71 might be the best solution. Missing Link Resins does a great set of '72 Charger bumpers & grilles that will fit the '71 Body. If you're doing a copy of a non-Rallye, the AMT '71 with Missing Link resin bumpers might be your best bet. 

If you're doing a Rallye model, then the original MPC might be the way to go, since that model has '72 only door scoops that aren't easily copied. 

I'm not 100% sure, but I might have an original MPC that could be restored if you need it, but these get pricey. If you're building a '72 that is NOT a Rallye, then I would recommend starting with an AMT '71.

if you're by chance building an SE, then use the '71 and modify the rear windows to suit- that mod should not be that hard. 

Please respond to this note and I'll see what I can do to help. 

One thing to keep in mind is the Modelhaus front bumper and grille is a copy of the original MPC kit parts. The newer AMT kit is wider than the original MPC kits.

The Missing Link parts are made the proper size for the AMT kit though.

Edited by Can-Con

Steve do you know if the Missing link hood is flat with only a peak running from front to back ?

As far as I know, the Missing Link hood is the "air grabber" bulged hood. I remember seeing a flat hood listed somewhere but I don't remember who cast it or if it's for the old or newer kit. 

Here's what the original MPC '72 looks like. It has a louvred, bulged hood horizontal vents in the doors and hidden headlights.

150 5026

The original MPC '74 and,IIRC, '73 had flat hoods. Here's a pic of my '74 project.

154 5419

In these pics you can see the differences in the rear side windows too.

Sorry, maybe not much help. 

I did a conversion from the '71 RT to a base model for my brother.  I filled in the side vents, cut the bulge out of the hood and filled it with plastic and made the center peak out of green stuff.  The REALLY hard part of the conversion was the dash.  It got a set of 60's on the back and a full set of Cragar SS wheels.  He was ecstatic over the model when I gave it to him and it sits in a place of honor on his shelf.  

So I have a 71 Charger kit coming in the post and a I have got a hood coming as well as a few other bits to do the Base model 72 Charger . Bumpers still to be ordered. But the next challenge will be to find the correct paint for this build. The colour is Light metallic green does anyone do original exact colours? . I think looking at paint charts from 72 it should be Willow green or light mist?. But in the VIN code it just says Light metallic green so I am not to sure what it is . Add to that the fact that the car has been repainted and its not an exact match to the original colour . I will try to add a pic of the inner wheel arch in the trunk as it is still the original paint