Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 TAG TEAM Chevelle

Dann Tier

Dann, Tina, you two should build together more often, this is great! Where did you get the foam ring around the air cleaner from, I could use a ton of that!

Mike, I wish I could remember where I got the foam from, maybe possibly from slicing a piece off the block that comes with the Micro Mark Micro Mesh polishing kit.

Impressive work on your Chevelle!  You guys nailed the miles-deep black paint, and the engine bay is packed with nice details.  Glad you were able to find some Radial T/As.  They just seem to be the best tire for muscle cars.

Couple questions:

1) What is the goldish item on the passenger side of the firewall?

2) Any particular reason you chose Pontiac wheels over the standard Chevy wheels?   

Impressive work on your Chevelle!  You guys nailed the miles-deep black paint, and the engine bay is packed with nice details.  Glad you were able to find some Radial T/As.  They just seem to be the best tire for muscle cars.

Couple questions:

1) What is the goldish item on the passenger side of the firewall?

2) Any particular reason you chose Pontiac wheels over the standard Chevy wheels?   

THNX, MONTY!  The goldish item is part of the factory AC unit. I ran out of time to finish detailing it. Those were the wheels he had on his car. You are deffinately right about the BFG's! unfortunately everybody on ebay wants $60 for them!!!!!!  in this models case, I had to use my last 2 sets of them because they only come "big n little, so now I have 4 big fat rear BFG's that I cant use!!

now I have 4 big fat rear BFG's that I cant use!!

I have that same problem! :D

I probably have 3 or 4 sets of the big rear tires laying around.

I've never been a fan of the fat rear tire thing.

I believe I used my last set of BFG's on my '62 Chevy.

I like the Good Year Rally GT's that I used on my '61 Ford almost as much.

Steve

photo DSCN3016_zpskbyzaivg.jpg'61 Ford # 5 photo DSCN4378_zpsomp1z2td.jpg

THNX, MONTY!  The goldish item is part of the factory AC unit. I ran out of time to finish detailing it. Those were the wheels he had on his car. You are deffinately right about the BFG's! unfortunately everybody on ebay wants $60 for them!!!!!!  in this models case, I had to use my last 2 sets of them because they only come "big n little, so now I have 4 big fat rear BFG's that I cant use!!

I think I can help you and Steve get all the BFGs you want for a lot less money. We've got a member of this board who put a lot of time and effort into creating possibly the most accurate scale Radial T/As you can buy.  He offers a number of sizes in flexible black resin, and a couple in hard white resin.  In addition, he's got a couple other performance tires (a brand new '60s-style redline and some very nice '80s-style Goodyears for Buick GNXs, just to name two), a couple sets of wheels (you gotta see the Dukes of Hazzard type wheels with separate lugs) and if you want to replicate some RWL tires from back in the day, he's got 2 1/2 pages of various tire mfrs' sidewall lettering.  He's a great guy and easy to deal with, too.

http://www.fireballmodels.info/index.html

I think I can help you and Steve get all the BFGs you want for a lot less money. We've got a member of this board who put a lot of time and effort into creating possibly the most accurate scale Radial T/As you can buy.  He offers a number of sizes in flexible black resin, and a couple in hard white resin.  In addition, he's got a couple other performance tires (a brand new '60s-style redline and some very nice '80s-style Goodyears for Buick GNXs, just to name two), a couple sets of wheels (you gotta see the Dukes of Hazzard type wheels with separate lugs) and if you want to replicate some RWL tires from back in the day, he's got 2 1/2 pages of various tire mfrs' sidewall lettering.  He's a great guy and easy to deal with, too.

Very cool Monty!!

Thanks for the link!

I bookmarked his page immediately!

I don't use a lot of white lettered tires, but when I need some, I will definitely use him!

I really like the concept of molding the tires in white resin, painting them & polishing the paint off of the letters.

Should work fantastic!

He also has some fantastic looking GM door handles!

I can use about a million of those! :)

Thank you!

Steve

THANKS, MONTY!!

I have that same problem! :D

I probably have 3 or 4 sets of the big rear tires laying around.

I've never been a fan of the fat rear tire thing.

I believe I used my last set of BFG's on my '62 Chevy.

I like the Good Year Rally GT's that I used on my '61 Ford almost as much.

Steve

photo DSCN3016_zpskbyzaivg.jpg'61 Ford # 5 photo DSCN4378_zpsomp1z2td.jpg

these cars have the perfect look!!