Model Cars Magazine Forum

There's a kit of Henry Ford, Barney Oldfield, and Harvey Firestone? I never knew that.

I don't remember ever seeing a kit of 999 in 1/24-25 scale. There is a 1/43 scale diecast, and a really high-end Exoto 1/18 diecast, but neither one of those will work with your figures (I assume the figures are 1/25 scale?)

Just from what I can tell, the only one that can be 100% identified is Henry Ford. The figure with the mustache does have some resemblance to Firestone, particularly how he appeared around 1910, but it's a little stocky compared to his actual build. Corbis-IH000828.jpg?size=67&uid=466deab4

The third figure, I'm not sure. The facial features just don't look right. Barney-Oldfield.jpg

Other than the Henry Ford figure, which is quite accurately done, the other two figures are pretty generic--although the man in the wool coat and bowler hat does resemble Horace Dodge, who was one of the original investors in Ford Motor Company.

Edited by Art Anderson
changed a word

ABSOLUTELY it still exists--permanent exhibit at the Henry Ford Museum.

Art

It has been quite a few years since I was at the Henry but I thought that the plaque in front of the car in the museum indicated that it was a recreation. I could be mistaken though.

Originally there were two 999s... one was yellow, the other was red. Mechanically pretty much identical. I don't think either one still exists.

The second one was called "Red Arrow" by Ford.  "999" itself was so-named to associate it with the then land-speed recordholder, New York Centray & Hudson River's 4-4-0 steam locomotive, #999, which was the first man-made vehicle of any sort to clock a speed faster than 100mph, in the mid-1890's (#999 the locomotive exists in Chicago, Harry--in the Hall of Transportation of the Museum of Science & Industry, albeit with smaller driving wheels than were on it when it set that speed record).

Art

Edited by Art Anderson
additional information