Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1939/1940 Ford Sedan

topher5150

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 4:36 PM, Dave Darby said:

Well aware on both counts, but would still like them back. Especially since I have a 40 sedan that's missing one of the headers. As far as the Moon discs go, the ones in the sedan were almost identical to ones in the 25 T. They definitely don't stick out too far.

IMG_9028rt-vi.jpg

Great looking Sedan. Another thought on the Moon Discs. In the  March issue of Hot Rod Deluxe on Page 80 They have a picture in their Scarp Book section showing an early Plymouth and a Model A on the starting line. The Plymouth is wearing a set of Moon Discs. As for the Headers or "Lake Plugs" as sometimes called are also present in the '49 Ford kit.   

4 hours ago, espo said:

Great looking Sedan. Another thought on the Moon Discs. In the  March issue of Hot Rod Deluxe on Page 80 They have a picture in their Scarp Book section showing an early Plymouth and a Model A on the starting line. The Plymouth is wearing a set of Moon Discs. As for the Headers or "Lake Plugs" as sometimes called are also present in the '49 Ford kit.   

Thank you for the compliment. It would look even better if I could a replacement for the missing header. I have a copy of the March 2018 HRD, but I already know what Moon discs look like. I have Hot Rod Magazines going back to the 40s. And I have photographed plenty of real ones as well. The only Moon discs I can think of that are oversized and completely hide the rim are those on the old Lindberg kits. As you can see by this original issue 40 sedan, the ones that came in the kit are pretty accurate.

And yes the 49 Ford comes with some side exiting exhausts, but they are out of scale and don't hook up to anything. The ones that came in the 39/40 kit have a positive mount to the engine and look cool on top of that.

20180220_104715.jpg

20180220_131043.jpg

IMG_9377rt-vi.jpg.b9bf4d61c8e877ecc23d086a25b003d7.jpg

On 2/13/2018 at 10:29 AM, Toner283 said:

Here is hoping that they restore the fender well headers from the first couple of issues. Not likely but I hope so. I have bought a couple of parts kits just to get those headers with the capped off dumps that come out at the front fenders.

Agreed. That would be great along with the moon caps too.

Seems like the hoods on the last couple of re-issues we’re in bad shape with the side trim about gone.  Maybe on the body too?  Anybody know if they did any tooling repair on this?  I assume not since I haven’t seen anything mentioned, hope I’m wrong.  Haven’t found my recent issues yet to check.  Regardless, some of that can be worked around and I’m really glad to see this coming back.

2 hours ago, Ranchwagon said:

Seems like the hoods on the last couple of re-issues we’re in bad shape with the side trim about gone.  Maybe on the body too?  Anybody know if they did any tooling repair on this?  I assume not since I haven’t seen anything mentioned, hope I’m wrong.  Haven’t found my recent issues yet to check.  Regardless, some of that can be worked around and I’m really glad to see this coming back.

The hood trim has always been weak from the beginning on both the coupe and the sedan. It's due to the draft angle necessary for hood to eject from the mold.

On 2/13/2018 at 8:44 PM, ChrisBcritter said:

Needs a bit more than AMT gave you to make a real '39 Deluxe, but it's a start. Wheels for just one example - you need the wide-5 rims from the '36 Ford, hubcaps from the original Monogram '40 Ford pickup (happy hunting) or Revell '40 Standard, and center adapters to mate the caps to the rims. Any resin outfits out there want to take a whack at a '39 detail set?

As far as I know, you also need seats with the correct pattern, the '39 dash, more trim strips on the hood, wipers that mount above the windshield, a banjo steering wheel, and a floor shift - what else?

Oh, and a "flush fitted" windshield, as 1939 was the last year for a swing-out windshield on any Ford (USA) vehicle, car or truck), hence the windshield wipers being mounted above the windshield.  As for '39 Ford parts for the AMT kits, I did two '39 Ford conversions in resin:  The Convertible Sedan, and a rumble-seat Convertible Coupe, both of which had correct '39 Ford dashboards, steering wheels, and a correct '39 Ford hood (AMT's Sedan had a stock '39 Grille, but paired that with a '40 Standard hood).

Art

I can't wait for it to come out I want it as much for the box as I do the kit. Round2 would be wise to do the Forty Coupe in a box art like that. That is the most exciting box art I have seen in a long time and I have been building model cars off and on since 1961.

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, alexis said:

I wonder what had to be re-tooled on the body?  I'll need a couple of these, for sure.

Yeah, I wonder too. Anyone have the last reissue of this with the green car on the box from a few years ago. Any issues with the body in that one?

Doesn't sound like they're restoring the cool exhaust headers from the original issue, bummer.

19 minutes ago, alexis said:

I wonder what had to be re-tooled on the body?

Didn't this kit have a separate fender or running board on one side, maybe related to or since the "Diamond in the Rough" modified reissue?

2 hours ago, Casey said:

Didn't this kit have a separate fender or running board on one side, maybe related to or since the "Diamond in the Rough" modified reissue?

The seperate running board in in most of the kits that I have but it is an extra. The fender/running board unit is complete with both running boards molded in.

On 3/14/2018 at 4:46 PM, Toner283 said:

The seperate running board in in most of the kits that I have but it is an extra. The fender/running board unit is complete with both running boards molded in.

OK, I was merely guessing. Perhaps something on the body section of the mold was messed up when it was last run for Stevens International and needed attention. I'm sure there'll be a Collector Model post when the kit's release date is closer.

Edited by Casey