Model Cars Magazine Forum

Shadow box diorama

Jantrix

I did a dio base a few years ago that I'm pretty happy with but I don't keep it out much as it tends to collect dust. I've yet to find a cover for it.

I've been bitten by the dio-bug again and I though of trying one in a shadow box, similar to this.

I'm thinking about this mostly because I don't have a lot of display room. This can be hung on the wall easily. Also I don't see it done very often. I can fit it with a piece of lexan to keep the dust out. I have found a website that will make what they call a centerpiece box in whatever size I need for a pretty reasonable price.

Has anyone done one of these?

• 2 weeks later...

I have a similar bug bite Rob 

A model looks so much more complete in a little dio of some sort. From your photo bucket, the models you are building definitely lend themselves to dioramas and yes space is a problem.

That old TV set idea is good or inside a glass top coffee table 

Putting stuff up on the wall is a great idea....I did a little painting for a Spitfire my son and I made together so it could go on his wall

image.jpg1.jpg

Edited by Twokidsnosleep

I am in the same boat as you.. very little dispaly room and the dust is terrible... so i tried my hand at making my own case...made from 5 glass frames found at the dollar store.. and a glass cutter from ace...total spent under $10 ..it was much easier to cut the glass than i thought.

• 4 weeks later...

I am in the same boat as you.. very little dispaly room and the dust is terrible... so i tried my hand at making my own case...made from 5 glass frames found at the dollar store.. and a glass cutter from ace...total spent under $10 ..it was much easier to cut the glass than i thought.

IMG_4983.jpg

IMG_4981_1.jpg

I saw this on another site some years (months) ago....

Beautiful diorama Joe..Well done

• 1 year later...

Last century, there was a well known artist in Prescott who built shadow box dioramas.  The County head shed has several.  They were more shallow than we need for displaying cars, but that can be adjusted.  He used long light bulbs behind a valance at the top, modern LED lights would be the ticket.   I like how he morphed the dimensional parts into the painting.
Someday I'll try this.

IMG_8608_Fotor.jpg