Model Cars Magazine Forum

Questions about Detatchable Trailer

So you've got a load on the low boy and you're on the way to deliver it. You detach the goose neck and drop the deck, you get ready to pull away, how do you lift the goose neck assembly so you can drive away.

I never see any hydraulic arms used to assist. Can you drive on the road with the goose neck attached to the tractor? or must you park it and hoof it? Just how does this work??

99% of the time you just detach and unload, and re-attach. Theres not many scenarios where you would leave the deck behind. There are blocks on some lowboys that brace against the trucks frame while its unattached. As for if you can drive down the road with just the gooseneck, I really dont know. Ive never seen anyone move more than a couple hundred feet from the deck. 

I agree with superpeterbilt and plastic trucker,  you wouldn't want to drive too far with just the gooseneck. because they will slide around on you. if they do'nt slide too far you can reattach on a slight angle. but if it goes too far your gonna need some type of machine to move it back. it happened to me once.  lucky I had an excavator on  deck an just used the boom to straighten it out.  as far as holding the gooseneck up there is a hydraulic ram under the gooseneck that rest on the frame of the tractor. I can get a picture of it  on Monday if you like. and if you have to leave the whole trailer you just release the ride height pins lower the trailer to the ground and disconnect the hydraulic hoses. the rest is just like dropping   any other trailer.