Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1972 Corvette LT1

Musclecar Mike

Here is my latest build and first completed build post. This Vette is the third build I have completed since getting back into the hobby. I picked this kit up at the NCRS Corvette show swap meet back in January for only $5! It was sealed inside the box so when I got it home, I unbagged it to find the right corner of the hood was a short shot. I managed to to rebuild that portion of the hood and the rest of the kit went together with very little fuss. The only other odd ball thing I encountered was the fact you had to shape the ends of the inner fenders to fit the inside of the body. This was called out in the instruction. I painted the Vette Testors Inferno Orange lacquer which to my eye was a close match to Ontario Orange on the 1:1 car.  The rest of build was just normal detail painting, foiling, and few photo etched parts. Hope you guys dig it and feel free to leave comments, I'm here to sharpen my skills and grow.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Musclecar Mike

Woo-hoo, another sweet C3!  Kudos for your paint, decal work and clean assembly work, not to mention overcoming the short-shot hood issue.  I wasn't aware of the shape-'em-yourself inner fenders, so thanks for letting us know about them. Guess I'll have to look my AMT 'Vette instructions over more carefully before diving in.  

Great looking model, really sharp interior work!  I'm currently waiting for an AMT '72 Corvette roadster to dry; painted it Tamiya metallic orange--like you, I was looking for an Ontario Orange look.  Hope mine looks as nice as yours...

Super nice build, and like a lot of others I really like that orange, so much so that I used it to paint my 1/10 scale RC Camaro street stock, it got a few compliments too, it was the orange and Tamiya clear pearl backed with white, the top surfaces white. Now I'm going to dig something else out and use some more of it, maybe the new snap Corvette kit, that yellow plastic is just begging to be covered up.

Keep up the excellent work, we'll see some of your builds in the magazine.