Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1971 Dodge Charger R/T Dirty Donny

Tye Brown

Sounds like it's just another reissue of the Stock version with new box art, decals, and an additional set of smoke tinted "glass", Tye:

The Kats at AMT have teamed up with Dirty Donny for yet another marvellous muscle car release! This wild ‘71 Charger comes molded in pearl orange plastic and features a fabulous full-color decal sheet. It’s loaded with factory stock markings and custom creations direct from Donny! In true low-brow style, he painted the insane illustrations for the packaging too!

KIT FEATURES:
• Skill level 2, paint and glue required
• Molded in pearl orange
• Modern tooling with super-detailed chassis, motor and interior
• Optional smoke-tinted windows
• Deluxe decal sheet with factory markings and Donny’s wild graphics
• Bonus mini display box
• All new package illustrations by Donny himself

John G. confirmed that the R/T side graphic has been fixed for this reissue, as described it no longer has the incorrect "hump" under the C-pillar, but instead a constant radius curve in this area, as the 1/1 car has. He also mentioned that Round 2 is pursuing an upgrade on the detail of decal sheets, although probably not in time to have this kit reflect the change. TIM

Edited by tim boyd

He also mentioned that Round 2 is pursuing an upgrade on the detail of decal sheets, although probably not in time to have this kit reflect the change. TIM

The forthcoming ALF kit is touted as having Cartograf decals, IIRC, so maybe that will become S.O.P. company-wide within the next year or so.

The forthcoming ALF kit is touted as having Cartograf decals, IIRC, so maybe that will become S.O.P. company-wide within the next year or so.

What will be different about Round 2's decals with this switch? I've been pretty happy with Round 2's decals. I hope these new decals will not be like those I found in the Model King Allison Thunderland funny car a few years back. Those were way too thin. They tended to fold and rip way to easily.

Round 2 needs to next resurrect the street machine version with the Hemi in it.

That version's only redeeming values were its "N97" ( Noise Reduction Package) exhaust (i.e. , the sans-tips arrangement)  and its "Ramcharger" hood . That psuedo-Hemi (truly , it was just the 440 with Hemi heads ! Even its exhaust manifolds were incorrect ; they were the 1967-1972 High-Perf 440 manifolds ! ) . That's just my opionon , however .

That version's only redeeming values were its "N97" ( Noise Reduction Package) exhaust (i.e. , the sans-tips arrangement)  and its "Ramcharger" hood . That psuedo-Hemi (truly , it was just the 440 with Hemi heads ! Even its exhaust manifolds were incorrect ; they were the 1967-1972 High-Perf 440 manifolds ! ) . That's just my opionon , however .

John....I've noted the same issues re the Street Machine version Hemi....which I'm told actually replicated a 1/1 scale aftermarket "conversion" for Mopar B-Blocks to a pseudo street-Hemi configuration.  

But without pulling out my old kits...I thought the original factory stock R/T kit had the Noise Reduction Package exhausts, and the "Street Machine" version had the rudimentary representation of the "Bazooka" style exhaust tips we all love....

As an aside here, I had those Bazooka tips on my '74 E58 factory-ordered Road Runner.  Within a few weeks of delivery, the orange paint on the inside of those tips was gone (replaced by typical black exhaust stains).... and the orange paint visible on the outside through the Bazooka tip side slots was pretty much replaced by rust within a year.  When I did an amateur "restoration" in 1979 (Mopar bodies back then were notorious for disintegrating in midwestern rust belt environments), I ordered two new tips through the local Chrysler store.  The Parts Manager had to put them on back order....when he eventually delivered the parts six months later, he told me that one of the tips had come all the way from a Mopar dealier parts department in Hawaii....a long way from Lansing, Michigan, where I lived at the time!.     TB

John....I've noted the same issues re the Street Machine version Hemi....which I'm told actually replicated a 1/1 scale aftermarket "conversion" for Mopar B-Blocks to a pseudo street-Hemi configuration.

That's what I'd figured it was : the old "Stage V" Hemi head conversion (what-ever became of that organisation ?) . My main complaint surrounds the B/RB exhaust manifolds ; those would never work in real life .

But without pulling out my old kits...I thought the original factory stock R/T kit had the Noise Reduction Package exhausts, and the "Street Machine" version had the rudimentary representation of the "Bazooka" style exhaust tips we all love....

You're correct ; I got my info mixed . The "street machine" does , indeed , include the "N42" tips .

As an aside here, I had those Bazooka tips on my '74 E58 factory-ordered Road Runner.  Within a few weeks of delivery, the orange paint on the inside of those tips was gone (replaced by typical black exhaust stains).... and the orange paint visible on the outside through the Bazooka tip side slots was pretty much replaced by rust within a year.  When I did an amateur "restoration" in 1979 (Mopar bodies back then were notorious for disintegrating in midwestern rust belt environments), I ordered two new tips through the local Chrysler store.  The Parts Manager had to put them on back order....when he eventually delivered the parts six months later, he told me that one of the tips had come all the way from a Mopar dealier parts department in Hawaii....a long way from Lansing, Michigan, where I lived at the time!.     TB

Do you have any photos of that 'RM23L4' ? The worst problem with the '73 & up B-bodies was that garbage Rubber-Isolated "K"-Member . Talk about "rear steer" ! The police cars and taxis got cast iron "biscuits" (isolators) instead of the civilian rubber junk (which also harboured moisture and road salt , causing rusted framerails in short order) .

Do you have any photos of that 'RM23L4' ? The worst problem with the '73 & up B-bodies was that garbage Rubber-Isolated "K"-Member . Talk about "rear steer" ! The police cars and taxis got cast iron "biscuits" (isolators) instead of the civilian rubber junk (which also harboured moisture and road salt , causing rusted framerails in short order) 

John....here you go....TIM

As delivered from the factory (except I cranked the torsion bars to lower the ride height ever so slightly...) tim's 1-1 cars001

Three years later...this was just before the body rot started to manifest itself....I had added some Satellite Sebring Plus chrome pieces, and the 15" mags were running the G60-15/H60-15 BFG Radial T/A's that I won for finishing second nationwide in the 1976 MPC Customizing Championship.  (For those that don't know, BFG Radial T/A's were huge bucks up tires back then,,,,I could have never afforded to buy them as a college student with a car loan to boot). tim's 1-1 cars002

Here,,,,those Bazoooka tips, and yep, that was a Mopar luggage rack too (a factory option on the '71 B-Bodies like the Charger SE, but accessory only by 1974)...

tim's 1-1 cars003

And here's the window label....note the speed control, Interior/ExteriorDecor Groups, and radio delete (Mopar radios sucked back then, and I could get a hot underdash FMS/*-track plus dual Utah 6x9's for less than the  Mopar Am/FM alone....).  The "Sold Car" line at the bottom was a note to the receiving dealer that this car was a specific customer factory order, and not be to sold to someone else when it arrived at the dealer.  

tim's 1-1 cars004

This car was actually just perfect for what I needed back then.  The E58 was much better than the B-Blocks on mileage, and it had mid-range torque that the 340 could only dream of.  The rest of the car was much quieter and rode better than the '71/'72's (which is what I really lusted for but was too young to buy at the time).  The interior decor group sew pattern even exactly matched the '71 Charger S/E (which was and remains to this day my single biggest holy grail from the musclecar era...but only if equipped with the 383 or 440 magnum engines!)  

Thanks for your interest in this....Cheers...TIM 

Edited by tim boyd

Thanks for sharing , Tim !  Those '73-'74 Road Runners look so nice in X9 Black with the red stripe :). (As a side note ; about 22 years ago I saw a '74 in the local salvage yard : "P" code 400 four barrel , 4-speed , 3.55 geared 9.25" rear . It was black with red stripe and white interior .)

You're spot on with the E58 360 ! Torque where it's needed . Longer- stroke than the coveted 383 and 400 !

Love those Michigan '76 plates !

Sharp Road Runner, Tim. 

I grew up in a Chrysler family on my dad's side and remember well the rust. A lot of it from what I was told also had to do with the Japanese steel that Chrysler used a lot of in the 1970s, which, for whatever reason, was far more rust-prone than American steel. 

I remember even by the mid-80s, when you still saw a far number of similar-vintage Ford, GM and even AMC cars on the road, a lot of Chrysler products had rotted to the point of junk and were in the yards. My grandmother's Duster had rotted to the point of being unsafe to drive by 1988 when the shock towers went; fortuanately, the Aries we had didn't rust anywhere near as badly. 

Charlie Larkin

Sharp Road Runner, Tim. 

I grew up in a Chrysler family on my dad's side and remember well the rust. A lot of it from what I was told also had to do with the Japanese steel that Chrysler used a lot of in the 1970s, which, for whatever reason, was far more rust-prone than American steel. 

I remember even by the mid-80s, when you still saw a far number of similar-vintage Ford, GM and even AMC cars on the road, a lot of Chrysler products had rotted to the point of junk and were in the yards. My grandmother's Duster had rotted to the point of being unsafe to drive by 1988 when the shock towers went; fortuanately, the Aries we had didn't rust anywhere near as badly. 

Charlie Larkin

When I started to go junkyard scrounging with my older brother in the early '90s, you didn't see too many of these B-bodies as daily drivers anymore.  By that time, all the ones in the Chicago area that were getting junked pretty much all had their leaf springs punching through the trunk floor, something we also saw whenever the occasional Challenger still showed up in the yards back then, too.

Too bad so many great cars were lost to the tin worm...

I wonder how much $$$$$.00 it would take to tool up a whole new '72 Roadrunner/GTX body and other bits that differ from it's sister car the '71 Charger....and if the hobby market is willing to consume it in large quantities...

image2_zps896bi9sj.jpg

image_zpsi1jfbdxr.jpg

Luc

I would suspect not as much as you think. 

And I agree that it would probably be a pretty good to very good seller.

Charlie Larkin

John....here you go....TIM

As delivered from the factory (except I cranked the torsion bars to lower the ride height ever so slightly...) tim's 1-1 cars001

Three years later...this was just before the body rot started to manifest itself....I had added some Satellite Sebring Plus chrome pieces, and the 15" mags were running the G60-15/H60-15 BFG Radial T/A's that I won for finishing second nationwide in the 1976 MPC Customizing Championship.  (For those that don't know, BFG Radial T/A's were huge bucks up tires back then,,,,I could have never afforded to buy them as a college student with a car loan to boot). tim's 1-1 cars002

Here,,,,those Bazoooka tips, and yep, that was a Mopar luggage rack too (a factory option on the '71 B-Bodies like the Charger SE, but accessory only by 1974)...

tim's 1-1 cars003

And here's the window label....note the speed control, Interior/ExteriorDecor Groups, and radio delete (Mopar radios sucked back then, and I could get a hot underdash FMS/*-track plus dual Utah 6x9's for less than the  Mopar Am/FM alone....).  The "Sold Car" line at the bottom was a note to the receiving dealer that this car was a specific customer factory order, and not be to sold to someone else when it arrived at the dealer.  

tim's 1-1 cars004

This car was actually just perfect for what I needed back then.  The E58 was much better than the B-Blocks on mileage, and it had mid-range torque that the 340 could only dream of.  The rest of the car was much quieter and rode better than the '71/'72's (which is what I really lusted for but was too young to buy at the time).  The interior decor group sew pattern even exactly matched the '71 Charger S/E (which was and remains to this day my single biggest holy grail from the musclecar era...but only if equipped with the 383 or 440 magnum engines!)  

Thanks for your interest in this....Cheers...TIM 

Speaking of the '74 Roadrunner,  I combined one of AMT's 74 Roadrunners with a '71 Charger, and I ended up with this.

I am going to do the same with a MPC '72 Body I have, and a resin '72 Roadrunner. I love those kits.

that kit.

Edited by Ron Hamilton

I just sold a mint '72 Road Runner kit, minus decals a few months ago. I know they're hard to come by, but I would probably never build it as I have many other Mopar kits that I would like to build in the near future. Hopefully with the coming of the new year (2016) I'm gonna start and finish building some of them. That's the plan.

What will be different about Round 2's decals with this switch? I've been pretty happy with Round 2's decals. I hope these new decals will not be like those I found in the Model King Allison Thunderland funny car a few years back. Those were way too thin. They tended to fold and rip way to easily.

The first Round2 kit that will feature Cartograf decals will be the new 22" Space 1999 Eagle.  They have said they will be using Cartograf decals for certain kits going forward, I don't know if it means all kits.  Cartograf decals are pretty much universally praised as the best in the industry.  They print decals for lots of kit manufacturers and aftermarket decal companies.