Model Cars Magazine Forum

What's happened to Simil r?

Adhsdad

Can anyone tell me what's happened to Simil r? I had been looking forward to getting some of their kits until I noticed that they had become harder to acquire.  Have they gone out of business? I really liked the subject matter that they had introduced and was hoping that it would be the start of a long and successful run for this company.  Any thoughts?

Ep

I don't know what else Simil'r produced, but their automotive kits sure remind me of Accurate Miniatures' fringe kits which (IMO) appealed almost exclusively to hard core vintage racing enthusiasts.

Not a good sign that Simil'r's facebook page hasn't seen an update in over two years, either. :mellow:

IIRC they got their start producing the Pescarolo Judd, in some kind of deal where the team took quite a few built up as sponsorship and corporate gifts. Without that arrangement maybe the economics of the Matech GT and Focus didn't really work out...

bestest,

M.

(who was very pleased to snag an affordable GT on eBay recently, even if it's a tricky kit to build by all accounts)

Edited by Matt Bacon

They only made those three kits.

So it's easy to get a full collection together. Stock up on them and watch the £££s roll in in future - not.
They just were too niche even for a niche market.

Think they're a healthy company.

Once Belkits released that MK1 Essy, they can afford to get their noses gold plated.

Edited by Junkman

• 2 months later...

This is one I bought last year. Then added Ken Block Mexico Rally 2010 decals by Colorado.

Simil R Ford Focus.jpg

Ken Block.jpg

Superb kits, every detail, on par or better than Tamiya, this kit was around £35.

Plus two other superb kits they made.

SimilR_Ford_GT_GT1_2010_Le_Mans.jpeg

SimilR_Pescarolo_Judd_2011_Le_Mans.jpeg

Edited by PatW

I am building the ford gt it's in wip. Don't like it to much lots of work needed ,some details like all the dash buttons and switches are missing brake calipers look like blobs of plastic and lots of  flash and sink holes. In my opinion it is on par with revell or amt not Tamiya. But if you have the patience get one.