Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Duel Project

Hi Big Riggers

After finishing the Blue Mule, I couldn´t help myself and got my California Hauler out of the stash. It´s going to be converted into the big ol´ dirty Pete from the movie "Duel". I have started assembling a few parts and cut a wedge out of the hood to make it line up with the narrower grille that is seen on the movie truck. Lots of scratchbuilding is to be expected and I hope to profit from the massive knowledge of you guys. It´s only my second semi build and I pretty much know nothing about trucks. Alrighty then...let the mess evolve...

Here´s the cab on the frame. The hood was modified so that the sides are in line with the doors on the cab. The grille from the kit will be modified as soon as the hood is done.

IMAG1073.thumb.jpg.922bbfba64521019f95e1

The truck will be powered by an 8V-71 Detroit Diesel engine. Don´t know if it´s the correct engine, but I like the idea to install a V8 instead of an inline six.

IMAG1072.thumb.jpg.e1a786262bd9fe6fcc98e

Posable steering is a nice little addition. Brings a bit more life to the finished build.

IMAG1071.thumb.jpg.2899fe6deb7a8958ed03b

I loaded myself with work on this project. It´s not only the truck that I´m doing. The tanker trailer will be built from scratch and for the past four years I have been occasionally doing massive bodywork on the combination of a Dodge Dart from Revell and a Plymouth Duster from AMT.  It´s been a PITA to convert this abomination into a Valiant....but somehow it proved to be successful. Still lots of work to be done, but it already looks the part.

IMAG1070.thumb.jpg.6472ee2a55c600f48f97f

That´s all for now. Hope to have an update soon. Thanks for looking.

Cheers Kevin

Cool plan. Another build that I hoped to build one day, but will probably never get around to. Remember there were a couple of different trucks used in the movie that varied some. There used to be a website that belonged to someone who had purchased and restored an original "Duel" truck as well as an original "Rubber Duck" truck, but that website no longer works. It is a shame because there was a lot of useful information about both trucks on that website. If I'm remembering correctly the "hero truck" (main one that crashed) was a 281, while the truck used in the added scenes like the school bus scene was a 351. The "hero truck" had a horizontal breather from a piece of equipment, while the truck in the added scenes had a vertical  one similar to the one in the kit, if I'm not mistaken. Both trucks had butterfly hoods. I'm probably telling you information that you already know, but since you said that you knew little about trucks, I thought that I would share what little information that I know. Hope this helps. I'm looking forward to seeing more of this build. Looking at your "Blue Mule", I'm sure this one will be good.

To look like a proper 351/281, sand off the raised lip and row of rivets on the side of the hood.  Replace the raised lip with a scribed in panel seam.  Also sand off the rows of angled rivets on the sides of the hood.  The top of hood fluted ribs also are not present on the 351 hood.  The raised side lip, angle rivets, angled air cleaner cut and the fluted ribs on the top are all features of a tilt hood.  351/281 was a butterfly hood.

351 also didn't have the back of fender step like the 359 has.  The 351 step was tucked into the corner between the fender and the lower skirt.

Here are a couple of 351 hood photos that should help.

Tim

351 hood.jpg

351 hood right jdhill.jpg

The surviving "Duel" truck was used in a 1978 episode of the "Incredible Hulk" that was titled "Never Give an Trucker an Even Break" (which can be viewed on HULU). This included quite a few scenes from the original "Duel" movie, but there were several new scenes as well. There are several scenes inside the cab, including an inside view of the swamp cooler, and several more opportunities to look at the outside of the other truck.

Is the plan to create replicas of the vehicles, or to make a diorama? I've often wondered how a diorama would be handled, because you never see all the truck driver in the movie, but it would be hard to avoid in a diorama. Whatever you decide, what you have is most impressive. That Valiant really looks nice so far.

And everyone does remember that the Valiant won?!

It was a valiant effort , but there were no winners in that duel . Even David Mann had to find his way out of the Santa Clarity Valley at sundown (and make a toll call from the 805 area code [relatively-new at that time area code] after walking for untold miles) .

This will be an excellent project!  I'm surprised that non of the model companies ever made a kit of the Peterbilt, it's trailer and Valiant.  I'm sure they would sell like "hot cakes".  Maybe something for Mobius to think about.  Good Luck with the project.  I think if I remember rightly, the main truck in the movie had a Clatterpillar 1674 diesel with a 9 or 10 speed transmission.  The surviving truck has a Cummins NTC 350.  As for the second truck (The one with the KW mud flaps in the scene with the school bus) maybe a Cummins "Iron Lung"?  Not sure!  

I'm surprised that non of the model companies ever made a kit of the Peterbilt, its trailer and Valiant.

I'm even more surprised none of the diecast companies made a 1/43 or 1/64 version, considering they could get more mileage from the Peterbilt tool by changing trailers and/or liveries. Is Universal really difficult with licensing?

Kevin, good work on the Valiant - is that a modified '64 Fairlane T-bolt roof?

Might as well give you the CA license plates I've made for the truck and the car; just copy and print:

dueltruck.thumb.jpg.61e4d0aa5dbc933494e8duelvaliant.thumb.jpg.22e8846172604b0e60

Edited by ChrisBcritter

This is an interesting project, Duel is one of my favorite movies too. I've even thought of attempting to build these things sometimes, but it's a lot of work and I've never got into it. Interesting to see how yours will turn out, the start looks very good. Especially I'm interested in that Valiant... Looks like Duster front end fits pretty nicely on place, but doing that 4 Door conversion is a lot of work. And how are you going to do the rear end... Is there a kit source you can use for that or do you have to modify that rear end to look like '70?

Hi there

Thanks for the huge feedback on this. I´ll try my best to do your interest justice.

Now that I´m a few days into the semi build, I´ve thought about where I want to go with this build. I think this is going to be a compromise of appearance and accuracy. There is stuff that will be totally wrong from an accuracy point of view. From the appearance point of view, the result will without a doubt be a Duel Peterbilt. The rear suspension and the tag axle for example....changes on what came from the box are not going to happen. As soon as the trailer is scratchbuilt, the wrong rear end situation will be mostly covered. And even if the axles are wrong it´ll still be pleasing to look at them after plumbing and wiring is done. Correcting the frame to the needed length is a different story as this affects the appearance a lot more. Considering the amount of work that is involved, I´m totally fine with appearance over accuracy. Stuff like the wrong 8v71 will still get lots of attention when it comes to adding details. And that´s where I´m a noob. I have actually no clue how a diesel engine or a semi should be detailed. Someone should make a tutorial for semi beginners to teach how air pressure lines and hydraulic lines have to be installed to the frame and what the lines are connected with. I can superdetail a stock Hemi with closed eyes but I have no freaking idea about superdetailing a big rig. 

The cab will be an accurate replica and from lots of reference pictures I have a pretty good idea of what needs to be done. As a car modeler I start with checking panel lines when I have a body in my hands for the first time. I´m currently working on the front fenders and have the grille narrowed to fit the modified hood. Adding the panel lines and cutting out the pieces from the butterfly hoods will follow as soon as everything is lined up properly. I´ll post some progress pics tomorrow.

As the Valiant seems to be of interest, here´s a little more information. First thing to say...if I had known what I got myself into, I wouldn´t even have considered to try it. That thing has fought me like a bear and I´ve spent countless hours with bodywork. The firewall and everything ahead is from the AMT Duster kit. Everything behind the firewall is (or was) the Revell Dart. The Duster was about 4 Millimeters wider than the Dart. That meant adding sheet to 2/3´s of the sides of the body and freaking out from a neverending sanding nightmare. I modified the c-pillars and added all the trim on the windows. I posted a pic somewhere and someone came along and told me that the roof height is wrong. Sedans are taller than hardtops. So I went ahead and ripped all the trim off of the body and cut the roof off. Don´t know if there´s a term for such a modification...I´ll call it the opposite of a top chop. Scratchbuilt trim was added again and it looked a lot more accurate. It was a chunk of work but it was worth it for me. By now the sides of the body are close to being done. The rear end of the body still needs work. I´ve only brought it into a general shape yet and need to work out all the details. The tail lights will probably be just a structured surface that needs to be finished with BMF and clear red paint. And I´m not yet happy with the shape of the rear window opening and the surrounding surfaces. I´ll add a walkaround of the Valiant body with my next reply. You´re all welcome to point out inaccuracies that I may not have noticed. A resin cast has already been taken into consideration. But I need a decent result before that thought will be intensified. Alrighty then...pics will follow tomorrow.

Cheers Kevin

I cant wait Kevin your doing great  :) I have a duel project planed too . I think the trailer will be the hardest part to build ? Im very interested in the Valiant build your doing and your doing a great job with that too so far. I have heard that the wheels are not available anywhere . So that's going to be a big problem

Well, it´s been a busy weekend but I finally managed to take some pictures. Sorry for the dark pictures. I really need to make some sort of a photo box...

The parts have been mocked up with some tape. The fenders are coming along nicely and there´s little left to do. A few things here and a few things there and I´m ready for gluing parts together and scribing new panel lines on the cowl.

IMAG1082.thumb.jpg.d1f782752cff9b6d2d5ab

IMAG1081.thumb.jpg.f5a450a237fb804755284

IMAG1080.thumb.jpg.d98f347eb4585a34a42e4

IMAG1079.thumb.jpg.bd65624022377e0891abb

And here´s the promised walkaround of the Valiant body. As you can see, still tons of work in some areas. The car is probably the last thing that will be finished in this project. It really is a task when you have to make sure that everything is symmetrical and follows the lines of the real deal. As I only have pictures for reference, I can just try to pull something off that has the right proportions.

IMAG1077.thumb.jpg.8571920c363ac51be114b

IMAG1075.thumb.jpg.f8ba3263f653217c6cb6b

IMAG1078.thumb.jpg.c57fd644e0a3a9bd819b4

IMAG1076.thumb.jpg.7d5d07f5a5ca71eea7e59

That´s it again. Hope to get some more done during the next week. Thanks for looking, critics are very welcome.

Cheers Kevin