Model Cars Magazine Forum

'68 Firebird

IJ001

Started just three weeks ago, and here it is 'Under Glass' - Not bragging at all, in the 'workbench' section I did call this a "Clear the bench" build. Part of the reason for the speed of this project is my enthusiasm for the project - I really like Firebirds, the other reason is the quality of the kit, in my opinion Revell produced such a superb quality product it's actually quite difficult for an average modeller like me to scr*w-it-up. 

Learning points, well I asked here and on another couple of sites about varnishing over an already very smooth & glossy finish, I took the advice from most folks and applied those extra clear coats and it worked-out... so learning point #1, be brave and with the correct tools and a little luck the finish you want, you can achieve !!   Learning point #2, I need to re-learn my BMF 'skills' next time around :wacko:.

Thanks for taking the time to look and/or comment, and as ever all comments, criticism and questions welcome.

Ian.

finished 1.jpg

finished 8.jpg

finished 2.jpg

finished 3.jpg

finished 4.jpg

finished 5.jpg

finished 6.jpg

finished 7.jpg

Thanks all very much appreciated, glad I took the advice from folks here about the 'clear'. So pleased with the paint finish on this one. Next will be a re-do of Jeremy Mayfields' '98 Taurus then another 'Bird - The Revell '98 Ram-Air in Sunset Orange, and then the Monogram 70 Boss 302.

Stay tuned.

Ian.

Learning points, well I asked here and on another couple of sites about varnishing over an already very smooth & glossy finish, I took the advice from most folks and applied those extra clear coats and it worked-out... so learning point #1, be brave and with the correct tools and a little luck the finish you want, you can achieve !!   Learning point #2, I need to re-learn my BMF 'skills' next time around.

Thanks for taking the time to look and/or comment, and as ever all comments, criticism and questions welcome.

Looks great to me - I don't see anything wrong with the foiling! 

• 3 months later...

Very nice looking build Ian. I recently tried my hand at my first BMF job myself. By the time I was done my butt felt thoroughly kicked. Did you go for the ultra- Brite chrome? I did myself, and feel like it was a bad choice. I feel like the regular chrome would probably turn out better.