Model Cars Magazine Forum

Glasspack Mufflers `60-`70 vintage

A number of you may remember Glasspack performance mufflers. They were the long straight pipe style mufflers developed in the late 60ties thru early 70ties. Celebrated for their straight through flow which seriously reducing back pressure and increasing power to street rods and muscle cars. And, lets not fail to mention that  unmistakably unique, deep, throaty, rumble they gave off at idle and the thundering powerful balls-to-the-wall roar when you tromped on the throttle.

There were several manufactures of these style of mufflers including Cherry Bomb, Thrush, Smithy, Maganaflow, Competition Muffler etc.

I was wondering if anyone cast mufflers similar to these:

16237727_large.thumb.jpg.07b46adc31bc93epte-h3013_xl.thumb.jpg.8b67f48da4d4f651as-l1600_copy.thumb.jpg.db982418e4c4aae3e

or the glasspack header mufflers.s-l1600.thumb.jpg.a9e748df7baf8b6519000f

21KM6EQABNL.thumb.jpg.1df13ed074bc6e7e31

Edited by 69NovaYenko

Have you checked out the mufflers that come with the Revell '68 Hemi Dart kit, or wouldn't they work?

Yes, I have checked the Revell `68 Hemi Dart mufflers out . In fact the entire exhaust system (headers headers and glasspack mufflers) for 426 version is awesome! Wish some one cast the entire exhaust setup from that kit so I could get several copies for other future projects.

Edited by 69NovaYenko

B.N.L Resin has them for $2.00 a pair plus shipping (Red Cherry Bomb style). I used to have some that were made out of aluminum, but I don't remember who they were made by. They were very nice though. You might watch Ebay for other options.

The metal(aluminum) "Cherry Bombs" were made by Detail Master. They're what I used on my '72 Olds Cutlass.

I`ll look into into these leads...thanks for info.

Edited by 69NovaYenko

The AMT 69 Hurst olds comes with them. Just a thought.

I just peeked at my AMT `69 Olds 442 kit. I saw the Olds 455 forced cold air induction system (which is well executed IMHO) but not glasspack mufflers like the samples pictured above. However, the AMT kit has a nice pair of factory stock mufflers. Could you have been thinking of the Revell `72 Olds 442 kit that has the glasspacks.

I just peeked at my AMT `69 Olds 442 kit. I saw the Olds 455 forced cold air induction system (which is well executed IMHO) but not glasspack mufflers like the samples pictured above. However, the AMT kit has a nice pair of factory stock mufflers. Could you have been thinking of the Revell `72 Olds 442 kit that has the glasspacks.

The Revell kit does not have the Glasspacks. It's just a regular dual muffler exhaust. I cut the mufflers out, saving the clamps, switched the head pipes(left to right, right to left, and put the glasspacks in. Since the pipes were switched, the heads of the pipes were cut off and I grafted in solder to run back up to the manifolds. I then weathered everything to hide that work.

• 2 weeks later...

These also show up in the Revell-Monogram 1939 Chevy Coupe and Sedan Delivery. However like what was mentioned earlier some aluminum tubing will yield a Thrush style glass pack, I have done it several times. Just cut a piece to length and sleeve it over another piece that is smaller diameter and longer than your larger diameter piece.