Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cannonball Run 2016 build suggestions

Pim

I don't know guys. I'm all for this Aussie challenge but - I think we need a detailed route map or something. I have been Googling "old Ghan Heritage trail" and what I find is stories about an apparently graded and maintained gravel road. The descriptions claim that: "although it can be traversed in a regular passenger car, a 4x4 is strongly recommended. Especially if you plan to use any of the many side trails leading to the various scenic spots and points of interest along the way." So now I am somewhat confused. How demanding is this route really? From what I have found, it seems to me that a full SCORE sanctioned big-wheel monster might actually be less competitive than - say- a WRC rally car. Considering the amount of sealed surface road to travel and all. 

I don't know guys. I'm all for this Aussie challenge but - I think we need a detailed route map or something. I have been Googling "old Ghan Heritage trail" and what I find is stories about an apparently graded and maintained gravel road. The descriptions claim that: "although it can be traversed in a regular passenger car, a 4x4 is strongly recommended. Especially if you plan to use any of the many side trails leading to the various scenic spots and points of interest along the way." So now I am somewhat confused. How demanding is this route really? From what I have found, it seems to me that a full SCORE sanctioned big-wheel monster might actually be less competitive than - say- a WRC rally car. Considering the amount of sealed surface road to travel and all. 

I think your reading into this to deeply, this is where you need to create a happy medium between on-road and off road, far as I'm concerned it doesn't really matter what sort of vehicle is required for this run!

This is where you need to think outside the box and decide on a vehicle that will suit both surfaces, so if you want to build a full blown Baja rig, WRC rally car or just a plain Jane 4X4 or even a standard car then go for it and have fun, that's what this is all about mate!

Yes the route is not that demanding, it's not DAKAR where there's no route at all and you rely on GPS ;)

I agree Ray.  You can't have on-road/off-road cannonball if it requires a full-on 4WD with off-road wheels to traverse.  Also, the vehicle needs to be licensed, so things like no windshield and off-road tires are a no-no, and I hear it does rain occasionally in Australia!!

That's perfectly said Ray.

The type of build really depends on what each driver thinks they'll need to make the trip. The basic factors are simple enough, on road/ off road capable, 4X4 isn't a "requirement" but would be recommended and it must be legal to drive on Australian roads. What you guys come up with is up to your own imagination. Even though we do hold a poll at the end (never seems to end well lol) this is a "community" build so it's more about "fun" than "competition". As long as keep your build on point with the theme next year you'll be fine, just don't go polar opposite of it.

As for me I've got my entry picked out and I'm planning on building it along the lines of the Furious7 All terrain Charger, though not as flashy and a little more on the survival side rather than heavy performance side.

No matter what, it's all for fun. It's hard to say exactly what the route would encounter. The end of year voting includes everybody on the forum, many who never even read the rules for voting! So don't expect they all know what the concept of the CBP is to begin with. 

I think it's fun to make it as complicated or simple as you desire - and build a little story about why you are doing what you are doing in your WIP - that explains why you chose 4x4 vs 2x4 or big off road tires vs...you get the picture. 

I DO think that there should be some limitations - otherwise it's just an anything goes type of build and loses some of the point. 

The rules should be laid out when the official thread starts. I am all for road worthiness and legality.  Of you get stopped by the police and your car is not legal, the race is over! So why bother? Most races or racing venues have tech inspections and even an unsanctioned, u-hum, illegal, race, is bound by participants common sense. 

I agree with the others. If the 2016 build is going to be the Aussieball or what ever it is up to the individual builder to decide on what vehicle is best suited for the race. then how the vehicle will be built. This being based on the race criteria. You wouldn't want to build a baja bug to race the Daytona 500, then a nascar racecar wouldn't do any good in the baja 1000. You can build what your heart desires. but the year end voters may look at design for said race.

Tim

Can anyone tell me if Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ are legal on the roads in Australia. Or if there are any special rules in Australia that others wouldn't know? 

They are legal in the US for highway use...not sure why they wouldn't be in AU. Is there a 1/24-25 scale source?

I think most rules would have to do with tire exposure? Bumper height? Some are actual laws in the US but are rarely if ever enforced...

Laws like this:

Fender Requirements

Fenders

Oregon requires mud flaps or fenders on all vehicles. Fenders and/or mud guards must extend to the full outside width of the tire tread and must extend to at least 27 inches above the roadway.

Edited by Erik Smith

They are legal in the US for highway use...not sure why they wouldn't be in AU. Is there a 1/24-25 scale source?

I think most rules would have to do with tire exposure? Bumper height? Some are actual laws in the US but are rarely if ever enforced...

Laws like this:

Fender Requirements

Fenders

Oregon requires mud flaps or fenders on all vehicles. Fenders and/or mud guards must extend to the full outside width of the tire tread and must extend to at least 27 inches above the roadway.

The tires in the Revell Jeep curbside, but the sidewall have no lettering. They are very nice.

Yes ,bumper height laws. I know them well ,but for being way to low.

The tires in the Revell Jeep curbside, but the sidewall have no lettering. They are very nice.

Yes ,bumper height laws. I know them well ,but for being way to low.

Good to know about the tires. I am out of my element doing off road or trucks, I haven't built one since the mid 90s. 

Looking forward to what you cook up for this one Pat. 

I cannot speak for Australia's rules on rolling stock, but most any developed country has laws on this matter. They are all designed to ascertain safe operation of the vehicle. As Erik pointed out,tire exposure is one aspect. Another is thread depth and design (no slicks allowed, inclusion of wear indicators etc). Another thing to keep an eye on is the manufacturers speed and service rating. It is generally not allowed to mount a tire with a speed rating lower than the top speed of the vehicle. I see ( in MT's listings) that the MTZs carry N and Q ratings depending on the size. This reads out as vehicle top speeds below 87mph and 99mph respectively. That might be fine for the off-road segment, but I for me plan to go faster than that on the paved road. Maybe you want to consider stopping to change wheels at the head of the trail.  - unless, hang on.. the trail is considered public road too? 

But then again, this is another area where artistic license comes into play. You could always claim that you had MT custom make your tires for you to your spec..

Edited by lysleder

Keep in mind that there are differences between the scale world and the real world so getting super technical with tire specs and tread depth is kinda going a little too far. Rules like bumper height exist, sure, but are never/rarely enforced, state side at least. N.C. has a fairly good list of headlight laws ranging from color to angle and I can assure you not one of them is taken seriously or enforced for that matter.

Of course anyone can get as technical as they want with "their" build and I'm open to hearing your ideas for "some" basic limitations but to have a long list of rules and regulations isn't really necessary. It'll seem too daunting to most builders and it'll restrict their creativity as well as take to much away from what the Cannonball is. A gathering of scofflaws and degenerates trying to get from point A to point B in a unsanctioned race for bragging rights for a year.

Perhaps the local experts wouldn't mind chiming in on what gets heavily enforced in their respective areas for general ideas on what to keep in mind?

A list or link(s) of general road rules for Australia will be posted in the build thread on Jan. 1st.

But some no brainers are easily. No lowriders. No racing tires/slicks.

Questionable joke: No racing parts of any kind? Or limited to seats or something :D?

Edited by TFchronos

Can't agree with no racing parts,... Engine etal..?

The other side is, if it's not up to code?,...Better make sure your faster than the local PD,..:lol:.

Now that's something we should research,...  the local constabulary.. 

Cheers

That's something I would be doing Bruce. Spoken like a true Cannonballer.B)

I wasn't planning on making that one stick, more of a joke than anything else.

In my own opinion as long as the vehicle is or appears to be road legal to Australian standards and is capable  of off road travel then I'd say it's fine. What everyone builds is up to them to decide, build what you think you'll need to make the trip. Make is as complicated or as simple as you want.   

Could a rally car like the wrc cars handle this terrain? I would like to kit bash an older car with that style suspension and running gear but I'm finding it tough to get good info on the course.

From what I have found, and from listening to advise from the locals (Ray Helix) it seems to me that a WRC car that is set up for gravel should able to do the job. The downside / complication on your approach is that very few WRC kits ever came with an engine. But then again, that is just details - if you are changing the body you might as well drop in a choice engine :).

Now, if you are lucky enough to find (and afford) one of the old Tamiya full detail Dakar kits, that would give you a very potent competitor right out of the box.  Maybe save for the left handed driver position. 

I am toying with a similar idea for my own entry, but I'd start with a fast vehicle and adjust the suspension and drive train to fit the conditions. Right now I am contemplating wether it would be worthwhile building a two-in-one car. One that can assume both a ground-hugging stance on street legal race tires, and then - by the push of a button and a change of wheels can turn into a (just) capable loose-surface racer. Of course that would mean stopping in Alice Springs for a pit stop and get the work done. For now the question is wether the benefit of driving a real roadworthy vehicle on the paved stretch would get me far enough ahead of the field to justify the stationary downtime while changing over to off-road mode.       What do the rules say? Would I have to carry all of my parts, or could they be waiting for me at the roadside pit?

Edited by lysleder

Realistically I'd say everything should be onboard. In an actual Cannonball I think it would be to risky and time consuming to stop and change stuff out. Not everyone will be doing that, about the only time anyone else would stop would be for fuel.

But again it's your build so build however you want, that's the joy of this cbp. :)

Year end voting is never taken seriously, well over half  the votes go for the best "looking" shiny six figure show quality builds rather than the theme correct builds.