Model Cars Magazine Forum

Big Trucks, Spoked Wheels..

Thanks for the insight Steve.  With this info I think I can turn my attention to AMT kits as well.  Plus the opportunity for aftermarket resin wheels (like from KJ) may really open up possibilities. 

good plan - AMT kit with KJ's wheels, you'll have a great truck model - hope you show your work here

Edited by Muncie

This topic is very interesting to me. I always wondered if there is a rule by which this or that kind a wheel is chosen for this or that kind of truck. From what you guys have written I assume that it depends on the owners preferences for the most part, is that right? 

I thought that application could have some influence on the choice too. Steve said that six spoke wheels are used for the heavier weight ratings and heavier duty vocational applications. I wonder if for example two-hole discs are more suitable for some applications or if there is no difference at all as far as the use is concerned. What do you guys think?

Hello Jarda,  from what I've gathered here on this topic,  the 5 spoke wheel was used more often in the 70's and before.   Yes, the buyer had a choice, and truckers from the North and NE USA were more for the 5 spoke wheels as opposed to truckers from other areas.  Moreover, it was a matter of choice or preference, perhaps having actually no set rules.  The summary would be it was a matter of choice, and time for us modellers.

I really like them because when cast in metal I know they'll have more visible depth to them, more structure to catch the eye.  For my personal taste, this means a very realistic looking model!

I do like other wheels too, like on the Peterbilts and KWs with all of the holes in the rims.  Further down the road I'll do these too, but for now I'm hooked on the look of the 2 piece wheels.

Glad you dropped in and I think the guys have been really helpful too, this is an informative series going on here.

Michael

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm a rookie, but the Freightliner COE is looking good as well as a couple of others.

Michael,

Keep in mind that the Freightliner COE is designed to be built either as a day-cab or sleeper-cab.  As a result, there's a nasty seam up the sides and along the roof.  The sanding required to blend the seam often results in the (out-of-scale) rivets being sanded down and having to be replaced.

If you decide to build a cabover, you might want to select a different kit (Peterbilt 352, Kenworth K123, GMC Astro, etc...)

Good luck with your first heavy truck!

-Ken

Hi guys,

I've been out to lunch for half a year or so.  Retirement does have advantages.

Ken, that's good info.  That Peterbilt 352 kit does look good to me, and it looks like I can bash this one too.

The rivets do pose a problem for me, the AMT 359 needed some body work too and dodging the rivets was a testy adventure.

Thanks for the feedback,

Michael

How are the 3D spoke wheels coming along KJ? They look very realistic, I like the robust Rockwell 23K rear axle hub on your wheels. It would be a great improvement over the feeble light duty spokes AMT offered. Here is a side view of these type of wheels vs. disc

IMG_5233.JPG

Michael glad to see you building another truck. Are you planning to cast most of your parts like you did on your last one?

Hi Dan, thanks for looking in here.  No truck in the works at this time, I have the last touches on a Fuel Altered car, and a AA Fuel Dragster, all in metal yes. 

My next truck will be just the motor, all cast in metal, this time around too, with all the correct fuel lines and filters.  Maybe even the drivetrain with just the rails and running gear.  Maybe an different approach to truck modeling.

I will say this, after the 359, there's no looking back.  Trucks are just plain good, period.

• 2 weeks later...

Well them pics look good, but what would you like to convey?

You post a couple of pics but choose not to write anything.  Sad.

Had some problems adding to the post, gave up on the editing. Here it goes, IMO, disc wheels just look better, they have a   sleek look and have a flow, spoke wheels look ruff and ancient,  they remind me of  conestoga wagons and model T's.

Edited by leafsprings

• 1 year later...

Has anyone ever offered photoetched wedges to be used with the spoke style wheels? Not sure what size nuts were typically used to secure the wedges to the spiders (3/4", maybe?), but I think those could be handled with miniature nuts from Scale Hardware.

All the spoke wheels I encountered in my wrenching days were 1 1/4" lug nuts. Number of spokes, super single or duals, it didn't matter. One truck in particular I worked on had super singles on the lift axle, with a wedge that was about 6" long. I actually prefer them to the older style Budd discs with the 2 lug per wheel setup (with LH threads on one side to boot!). They're not as much of a pain as they might appear to be to get true, and the rim and tire itself ends up being a bit lighter for throwing it around for mount and dismount of tires. That being said, Hub-Pilot was by far the best thing to happen to truck wheels.

On 4/23/2017 at 5:48 AM, Andrew Howard said:

Some examples i have usrd and combined in the past. These are a mix and match of KFS and kit wheels,all on 1,24th Scale italeri rubber tyres.

006.JPG

003.JPG

002.JPG

008.JPG

011.JPG

005.JPG

002.JPG

thats a bunch of fantastic trucks right there