Model Cars Magazine Forum

63 Plymouth Belvedere Super Stock

BobbyG

This is my first post on the forum so please bear with me. Shaking the dust off a project started a couple years and now determined to finish it. Started with JoHan's 63 Fury, stripped all trim to make it a Belvedere. Took the rear panel from a JoHan 64 Plymouth and separated the tail lights, bucketed the grill for headlights. the chassis and interior is from Lindberg's 46 Dodge, and engine from a Revell 69 Charger with my own modified cross ram manifold that I cast in resin for accuracy. Adding the sedan post and door panels to be scribed with Belvedere trim and making everything fit right. need to make a bumper filler for the front and cast the parking lights in clear resin.

I made a master for the dog dish hubcaps from an old wheel cover, casted them in resin and had them chromed.  I hope to get as much done over the holidays and ready for paint. Paint is Med Met Blue with a multi-tone blue interior. Thinking of a white painted roof, maybe. This is a Mopar that has had a lasting impression from when I first got my driver's license.

Also on the bench is a JoHan 62 Dodge Dart Super Stock that will be a match for the Belvedere.

Thanks for looking. 

2015-11-05 08.09.42.jpg

2015-11-05 08.09.52.jpg

2015-11-05 08.10.16-1.jpg

2015-11-05 08.18.15.jpg

2015-11-05 08.23.13.jpg

2015-11-05 08.23.22.jpg

2015-11-05 08.31.17.jpg

Looks good, these old Super Stock cars are one of the most interesting subjects in car modeling (I have many of them in the works too). Looks like you're doing a great job so far. That Lindberg chassis fits under many bodies pretty well and your engine looks excellent too.

I'm no Mopar expert though... Did these cars have 383, 413 or 426 Wedge engines in them...? I know that Hemi came a year later, but otherwise I'm clueless. :D

Thanks Niko. In 1963 the Max Wedge (RB) block engines were 426 cu in, Ramcharger for Dodge and Super Stock for Plymouth.  Although from my knowledge the 413 Cu In was still offered in 63 for certain models. Of course these were the same engines. This will be a Stage II Maw Wedge with 2, 4 bbl carbs on a cross ram manifold with ram exhaust manifolds.

Thanks Niko. In 1963 the Max Wedge (RB) block engines were 426 cu in, Ramcharger for Dodge and Super Stock for Plymouth.  Although from my knowledge the 413 Cu In was still offered in 63 for certain models. Of course these were the same engines. This will be a Stage II Maw Wedge with 2, 4 bbl carbs on a cross ram manifold with ram exhaust manifolds.

Beautiful job so far. really like what you are doing. the back panel is great. Bobby G is correct. in 63 the max wedge had 426 cubic inches. the 62 you are building, will be a 413.

I am a huge fan of these cars and will be watching. 2 questions, where did the dog dish caps come from (was it the lindburg 64 dodge?) and can you get a clearer picture on the dash and what you did? I know the dash in the johan kit isn't the best.

keep up the great work

Edited by tubbs

Thanks Al. The hub caps are resin, I forgot where I got them. I originally made my own out of the kit's wheel covers, cut and shaped around the center and came out OK but then found these. I may make a mold and cast another set for the 62 Dodge since they are similar.  The dashboard has been filed and shaped for the base steel version with radio delete panel but needs to be finished. The gauge panel will be separate adding details and gauge decals (made from photos of the 1:1). Here are some additional pics, I was able to add the sedan post over the weekend, came out pretty good. I cast the parking light lens in clear and carved out the backup lights and tag bezel from the Fury tail panel. 

IMG_0234.JPG

IMG_0251.JPG

IMG_0253.JPG

IMG_0254.JPG

IMG_0255.JPG

2015-11-05 08.23.06.jpg

2015-11-05 08.24.44.jpg

You are doing masterful work....Very nice job on what you've done so far..The Belvedere model had a strip of straight chome on the sides..The model without the chrome is the Savoy which took the place of the low line Plaza of earlier years..Keep it going, this is going to be a killer car...

You are doing masterful work....Very nice job on what you've done so far..The Belvedere model had a strip of straight chome on the sides..The model without the chrome is the Savoy which took the place of the low line Plaza of earlier years..Keep it going, this is going to be a killer car...

Wayne Thanks for your comment. You are correct, I may add the side trim or just leave it as a Savoy which will determine the door panel trim as well.

Thanks.

Here's the dash and trim I am shooting for along with a pic of the Savoy.

63_plymouth_melrose_missle_12.JPG

96595_Rear_3-4_Web.jpg

BobbyG   That 63 that is a brown shade is killer..Got a friend from Minneapolis who moved to Phoenix years ago had a dark blue Savoy post..You might have seen pictures of it on one of the sited..Had 14" tires and steelies/dog dish..Mean looking car done like it came out of the showroom..Was redone by Muscle Car Restorations from Chippawa Falls Wisconsin..Chech their site there might be a picture of it...

Hi Bob, welcome to the forum!

What a cool project, you're doing a fine job on a car a lot of us wish was offered.  I really like the 63 Mopar Super Stocks, Dodges too.

I found on my Lindberg Dodge the doorposts were a tad too wide, read out of scale.  I filed mine down with a fine fingernail file and the deal looked immediately better.  My opinion.  The glass still fit behind the door but be careful. 

Have you figured out the ride height yet?

Beautiful work!

Michael

Edited by 10thumbs

Hi Bob, welcome to the forum!

What a cool project, you're doing a fine job on a car a lot of us wish was offered.  I really like the 63 Mopar Super Stocks, Dodges too.

I found on my Lindberg Dodge the doorposts were a tad too wide, read out of scale.  I filed mine down with a fine fingernail file and the deal looked immediately better.  My opinion.  The glass still fit behind the door but be careful. 

Have you figured out the ride height yet?

Beautiful work!

Michael

Wayne, thanks for the info, I'll check it out. The brown color is killer I may use that for the 62 Dodge. I already have Scale Finishes' 63 Ply Medium Metallic Blue for the body. This  was a car I wanted badly in 1970 when I started to drive, never got it out of my mind and I just like the blue interior on these cars. I am not as far along on the 62 as with the 63 but once I do a couple of things to it, I'll some pics. 

Honestly, I would love to send the 63 to a resin caster to make a full kit, but  they are all backed up with their projects. I do have a 62 Plymouth 4 door wagon that I started but needs a lot to be finished. I sent it off to a quality resin caster to look at (undisclosed), but there is so much work needed to complete that it will be a long time before they even consider doing something with it ...it's a long shot. If not, I'll get it back to finish it off so a I can have a trio of awesome Mopar Super Stocks.

Thanks Michael: For the post frame around the roof, I used Evergreen plastic thin C channel strips this way there is a channel to slide the side glass into., but bending it to conform with the roof line without snapping them is a B----! I actually used the center door post and vent window from the Lindberg Dodge. For the ride height, I always liked these cars a little higher than stock, not too fond of cars in the weeds. I made resin cast drum brakes and backing plates along with steel wheels with separate faces and rims for both the outside and inside to make different offsets. I did the same with Torgue Thrust mags.

Thanks all for the compliments, I appreciate them and it will give me the energy to finish this project.

Hi Bob, I agree with Wayne, the brown tone is a killer for sure!  A real Mopar color from the day.  Our Mopars always loved colors.  Black was cool, enough Chebbies though had that shade.  Lord must have wanted Mopars to have color because they look so good in about any shade Ma made.  The medium blue you speak of is also a favorite of mine.  So cool.  When I was doing my 64 Dodge model I couldn't find the right shade. 

Good too you get the ride height up, the look is just the way it should be.

I like this.

Michael

Got a little bit done on the dash and gauge panel. I have to find someone who will photo etch the speaker grill and gauge panel. Not sure if I like how the gauge panel came out, it will look much better once detail painted and gauges are in. Need to add push buttons on the panel. 

Thanks

IMG_0260.JPG

IMG_0261.JPG

Edited by BobbyG