Model Cars Magazine Forum

Testors Laquer Question

Some of them dry quite glossy. The "factory" colors seem to dry much more matte or flat. Some respond well to rubbing out. Others don't without changing color, blotching, and so forth. I did a nice rubout on Honduras Maroon so I know you can with that one.

Buy a can or two and a box of Walmart plastic spoons and do some experiments of your own.

There are several Testors "lacquers", and they handle differently. 

The Testors "Model Master Custom Lacquer System" (which includes most of the "factory" colors) are DESIGNED to be clearcoated. That's why they call it a "system"...it's a basecoat-clearcoat system like used on real cars today.   28101-citrus-yellow-metallic-240px.ashx

Testors makes other lacquer products, like their "One Coat" line (they're really NOT one-coat), that can be clearcoated or not. SOME of them will polish up nicely, while some will get blotchy when you wetsand and polish...which is common with metallic and pearl paints that are NOT clearcoated before polishing.   

4eacca347adf9_223387n.jpg

They all can look really good with careful application...and it helps to read the directions, and experiment to see what works well for you.

This is 5 coats of Testors "One Coat" metallic paint, followed by 3 coats of one of their high-gloss clears.

DSCN5584.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

One thing I don't like in those metallic One Coat Lacquer paints is the metallic flake size. Those seem to be made for 1:1 cars - way too large.  On a 1:25 scale model they look like those sparkly metal-flake fiberglass bodies on speed boats or dune buggies.  This especially shows up in closeup photos of the model.  Unless one is going for that metal-flake look, metallic model paints has to have much finer metal particles to look "right".

I did  a Moebius '53 Hudson in the Testor Phoenician Yellow from the two part system without using the clearcoat.After sanding and polishing it looks like a factory single stage paint job.I should have applied more paint as the finish is thin in spots but that's on me,not the quality of the paint or it's ability to be color sanded.

One thing I don't like in those metallic One Coat Lacquer paints is the metallic flake size. Those seem to be made for 1:1 cars - way too large.  On a 1:25 scale model they look like those sparkly metal-flake fiberglass bodies on speed boats or dune buggies.  This especially shows up in closeup photos of the model.  Unless one is going for that metal-flake look, metallic model paints has to have much finer metal particles to look "right".

Agreed 100%. Unless you want the bass-boat, dune-buggy or KustomKar look, forget the "One Coat" metallics.

Agreed 100%. Unless you want the bass-boat, dune-buggy or KustomKar look, forget the "One Coat" metallics.

Ditto.

Even the regular Testors metallics are too big.

It's funny, you'd think a company that makes paint for 1/25th scale cars would get the metal flake size a little closer to scale.

This is one of several reasons I bought an airbrush & started using MCW paints.

Steve

As I am new to car modeling, I took some advice from guys at the shop and spent money on several cans of these paints. And ended up tossing them all. I think those flakes would look awful on a 1:1 car. The Duplicolor paint flakes, as much as I have learned to like that paint, stand out way too much on a model.

As I am new to car modeling, I took some advice from guys at the shop and spent money on several cans of these paints. And ended up tossing them all. I think those flakes would look awful on a 1:1 car. The Duplicolor paint flakes, as much as I have learned to like that paint, stand out way too much on a model.

You will find that in Duplicolor, many times colors called "mica" or "pearl" will have significantly smaller flakes than colors called "metallic".

This green is a Duplicolor "mica". Compare it to the testors "One Coat" metallic on the orange car above.

AUG12014Caddy_Challenger_50olds079_zps80

Duplicolor Metallics are much the same as the Testors, except as Bill stated.

I use only standard colors like red, white & black from duplicolor.

All of my metallic colors are ordered from MCW or other "model paint" supplier.

If you happen to have a very well stocked hobby shop in your area, you might be able to find MCW paints in a rattle can.

That's how I was introduced to MCW paints many years ago when we used to have a local hobby shop.

If not, you might want to look into ordering spray cans from MCW.

They're a little spendy, $15.00 for a 4 1/2 oz. can, but they offer almost 100 different factory colors.

The cans are nice too.

A taller thin can that fits nicely in your hand with the same adjustable "Fan Spray" nozzle as the Duplicolor paints.

Same can that Duplicolor used to use.

I think you would find the metallic paints from them more than agreeable.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

It's funny, you'd think a company that makes paint for 1/25th scale cars would get the metal flake size a little closer to scale.

Every time you think a company should have done something to improve their products, the company gets sold and the new company says in essence... we can't afford to do anything new at this time (see Round2 for corroboration)!

If you happen to have a very well stocked hobby shop in your area, you might be able to find MCW paints in a rattle can.

That's how I was introduced to MCW paints many years ago when we used to have a local hobby shop.

If not, you might want to look into ordering spray cans from MCW.

Speaking of MCW paint - they now have a new owner - he is accepting email orders and payments by Paypal! Whoohoo!

Send your orders to mcwfinishes@sssnet.com

Speaking of MCW paint - they now have a new owner - he is accepting email orders and payments by Paypal! Whoohoo!

I recently got two cans of paint shipped from MCW for some upcoming projects. Their shipping fees are a bit pricey as they charged me $12.50 to ship two cans, and the postage on the box was less than $7.

I had heard that they were bought & it's good to hear that they are excepting Paypal.

I never really cared for their antiquated ordering system.

Aside from email, do you still need to print & fill out an order form as before, or are they finally going to an online system?

I haven't checked it out lately.

Steve

I recently got two cans of paint shipped from MCW for some upcoming projects. Their shipping fees are a bit pricey as they charged me $12.50 to ship two cans, and the postage on the box was less than $7.

Yeah, they never really have been the cheapest place around, but I will never go back to any other kind of paint.

I love the product!

Steve

Yeah, they never really have been the cheapest place around, but I will never go back to any other kind of paint.

I love the product!

Steve

If it works for you, "go for it!" We all have our "special" paints, tools, supplies, etc. to work on our models, and as long as it works, that's all that counts.

I had heard that they were bought & it's good to hear that they are excepting Paypal.

I never really cared for their antiquated ordering system.

Aside from email, do you still need to print & fill out an order form as before, or are they finally going to an online system?

Mike told me that he did have plans to implement an online ordering system!

Thank for the advice, StevenG and AceG. For my current project (and my previous one, currently shelved), I've gone back to what I'm most comfortable with and I'm using regular old Tamiya paints in the jars with my airbrush. They have the colors I need for now, and sand and polish well enough. My last couple of kits ended up with finishes I'm not terribly proud of, so this is a reboot.

Now, that's not to say that down the road I won't want sparkles. In fact I'll probably want them sooner that later. I'll check out the MCW paints.

Edited by Harry Joy