Model Cars Magazine Forum

1957 Ford Sedan Delivery - Update 01-25-2016

Exotics_Builder

Continuing 2015 as the year of out of the normal kit building, I am culminating with a 57 Ford Sedan Delivery using a Jimmy Flintstone body and the Revell 57 Del Rio kit.  This will be a mild custom.  Here are some hints of the direction I am heading:

WIP%20Part%201%2001_zps7qowjucl.jpg~orig

WIP%20Part%201%2003_zpsbdhzic3q.jpg~orig

WIP%20Part%201%2002_zpsppuc0ebs.jpg~orig

Edited by Exotics_Builder
Update on build

Have you fit the Revell parts in the body yet?

I'm very interested in how well the fit is on that.

That combo has been on my mind for a while

now for sure. But to make a gasser build!!

David S.

Did a quick test fit and looks pretty good.  Cleaning up the body and retesting the fit in the next day or two.

Gerry,

Thanks for your response, and I have to say

that I am on the edge of my seat for this one!

It's a very small chair.

David S.

P.S.- I'm shooting for something like this myself!

57fordcouriersedandelivery.jpg

'57 Ford gasser del..jpg

If Revell is doing a gasser as the next version (sounded very likely), you may want to hold on for a bit.

First test fit of Flintstone body.  I cleaned up the body, including a little bit of the interior area at the back.  Having already scratch built the delivery back floor, I taped the sides and dash together for the test.

WIP%20Part%202%2001_zpshm6ac7ly.jpg~orig

The fit looks pretty good.  As you can see, it appears a Revell 57 Del Rio was used in the master since the front chassis slots into the body.

WIP%20Part%202%2002_zps2tzmjmkg.jpg~orig

WIP%20Part%202%2003_zpsczsapdvs.jpg~orig

WIP%20Part%202%2004_zpsnd4xjup8.jpg~orig

I’ll clean up the outside of the body and get a primer coat to do a semi-final test fit.  I’ll also try the kit windows.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Work in this progresses. 

Because of time constraints, I haven’t been posting regular updates.  I have less than a week to complete this.

The body is in painting, with darker part of two tone to be applied.  Then BMF and decals with a clear coat.  Hopefully, it will all go smooth.

The interior needs a little tweaking, but almost there.  Need to matte the floor area as the color is too glossy.  The rear cargo is fairly complete.  I used Micro-Scale Wood decal sheet for the floor area and it looks pretty good.  Detail Master supplied the seat belt hardware along with my go-to of paper bandage tape cut width and length for the seat belts.

The dashboard is painted and decals applied.  I was surprised to see no radio or heater controls.  So, I went to my detail parts stash and pulled out Model Car Garage’s heater and radio generic sets fret and took a reasonable representation each.  Since it is somewhat obscured in the interior, it should pass.

On the engine bay, I am about 90% complete, needing to: tweak the air cleaner a bit; apply the radiator and then run the hoses; and put in the battery.  No super detail on this one, just enough to look decent.  Detail Junkee supplied the air cleaner and trim for the valve covers.  Detail Master fittings and Pro-Tech hoses for the heater hoses.  Model Car Garage wire looms along with Morgan Automotive Detail distributor added more realism.  I used my common method for doing a non-working dip stick to add a little more realism.

For the wheel tire package, I went into the stash for a set of American Satco wide whitewalls along with Model Car Garage full wheel covers.  I drilled an opening to run a valve stem.  I just need to clean it up a bit and do three more times.

WIP%20Part%203%2001_zpselarg2au.jpg~orig

WIP%20Part%203%2002-1_zpsukssgn7w.jpg~or

WIP%20Part%203%2003_zpstcuv93vs.jpg~orig

WIP%20Part%203%2007_zpss1jz0saf.jpg~orig

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Final WIP update.

I have the engine compartment and interior about 95% complete.  I may yet need to do a couple of tweaks and details.

WIP%20Part%204%2001_zpsuo5kgepu.jpg~orig

WIP%20Part%204%2003_zpsid3bqwst.jpg~orig

WIP%20Part%204%2002_zpsq13dbvyp.jpg~orig

For the wheels, I am using a set of American Satco wide whitewalls from the stash along with MCG spun hubcaps.  To add detail, I drilled into each hubcap and added a wire for valve stem.  The Satco tire is wide enough that I can use the wheels from the kit as a starter and slide these over.

I have the body stripped and reprimed.  Now I will reapply the paint job and, hopefully, not experience the same darker hue with the pink.

Looking good Gerry. Man those tires look awsome, where do they come from? 

Those are the old "American Satco" white walls.

I love them!!

Unfortunately, they are no longer made. :(

But, Modelhaus does do a resin version of the same tires.

I use a lot of them.

The only thing that they are missing is the "Firestone" detail on the sidewall.

Steve

photo DSCN3921_zpskrxqnfgs.jpg

Those are the old "American Satco" white walls.

I love them!!

Unfortunately, they are no longer made. :(

But, Modelhaus does do a resin version of the same tires.

I use a lot of them.

The only thing that they are missing is the "Firestone" detail on the sidewall.

Steve

photo DSCN3921_zpskrxqnfgs.jpg

Steve,

What is the item number for the tires?

TIA!