Model Cars Magazine Forum

Got Can't-Find-Itis?

So last night I sit down and drag out two kits that I had recently bashed together with the intent on using the remaining pieces for another build. And for some reason the chassis I was planning to use was just ................................ gone. I didn't use it or consume it in the last build. I've not built anything else recently that would have used the part. But all the same, it's gone. I'm usually particularly meticulous about tracking that sort of stuff. I have a Post-It on every kit for me to record what parts have been added or removed. But still things just disappear.

I think I have gremlins or something. Got em at your place?

Nope. after I organized (for the most part) my entire stash, and bagged just about everything that was a rebuilder, or grouped them in shoeboxes, I know where everything is. And it all fits together in my closet like a game of Tetris. The only thing I have an issue with now is the small spare parts I havent been able to go thru and organize. I know which boxes theyre in but not exactly whats in each box. I keep all my spare/extra bodies and chassis in a box all their own so I know right where to go when I need something like that. 

Of course now that I say this I wont find anything I'm looking for.

I have five complete kits I can't locate at the moment.

So if any of you happen to see an AMT/Ertl Mercury Cougar Street Machine, a mid '90's AMT/Ertl '56 Ford Victoria, a Lindberg '53 Ford Convertible, and/or a pair of Revell '56 Ford F-100 kits out in the wild, try to catch them and send them back to me.

I can't even keep track of all the individual parts I've lost track of...

While building my stretched out Kenworth in the early summer, I "lost" the clear plastic sprue. Luckily it was a snap kit, so I had a reason to buy another kit. 

Now fast forward to last weekend. While cleaning the house, my wife found the sprue. In the bathroom of all places in 

I've dropped pieces in the bathroom before.  Got excited when a kit came in and had to hit the restroom first thing when I got home.  

I have the same problem from time to time and cant figure it out.  What makes it worse is when its the old and hard to find ones your working on and no idea where you can find replacements for them. Many of my dads oldies have lost parts due to moves and other catastrophes by mother nature and resin casters just do not make many parts they need...yep there must be Gremlins running around. 

I've had whole boxes of stuff disappear for years.   The most famous was my Falcon parts box.  It was a shoe box full of old Falcon and Ranchero junkers and parts.  It was gone for over a year,  I later found it in a stack of shoe boxes,  with the end facing out marked "Matchbox Cars".  It was the bottom box so I never moved it around to realize it was too light to be full of Matchbox cars.  The other end was marked "Falcons".  

I also have a Renault Daulphene that the body has been missing for years.  I have the rest of the kit, but I know someday I'll open an odd kit box and it will jump out at me.

Hmmmmm... must be related to the CRS syndrome that I'm occasionally afflicted with  :rolleyes:

currently have an apb out for the '65 fairlane body I know I saw sitting on the shelf this summer :wacko:  why oh why do I move stuff

haven't checked the bathroom yet :P

mike 

My house is a mess because I do not care at the moment .It is a real struggle to find things and the moving of things to find one thing makes it worse. 

A guy from work had this problem with his Phone a few years ago. He found it one day in a kitchen cabinet. The next time it was in the Refrigerator, we had a good laugh over that one.  

We just figured it was getting up with it in your hand and setting it down to get something else with your mind was occupied. So Rob check the beer or munchie  stash.

Same here

I have a Model King issue of the 72 Blazer I am making 2-wheel Drive

Can't Find that one

All the others including all the matching 67-72 Chevy/GMC pickups are all together!!!!

But that One, NO!!!

Also a Jo-Han Cadillac Ambulance I did as a High-top is misplaced

And another I converted to a Sedan

Would Love to find them and show them off