Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rat Rod Community Build

Pat Minarick

I have a couple of possibles that might get done as rats...but I HATE the term being applied to a well-thought-out, well-constructed car.

Well then. The easiest way to get your head around the term is for you to build a "traditional rod" as you see it, with with a big block Chevrolet. Which would then make it a "rat rod", without the poor engineering and fabrication association. :D Like this.

But seriously folks, here's my current project that I've started recently and since my stint on night shift is coming to an end, I'll have more bench time ahead. Big plans for this. Low stance, Z'd in the rear, suicide perch in the front. Some sort of custom grill, like the tractor grill I did for my roadster. Parts pack Caddy or Pontiac engine. I have yet to do an old school fully flat black paint job on a hot rod, as hard as that may be to believe. So gloss black frame, flat black body/grill, and off color wheels & engine yet to be decided upon. More soon.

So I decided to work on my Bimmer rat rod and got a little too aggressive on the cutting, so its now, lets say unsuitable.

My updated entry will be a 56 F-100 that was a post apoc fun build but my wife's nephews thought it should be played with and not sitting on a shelf. We all know what came next.  Not sure about wheels or whether I'll go with or without a front end but I'm excited about the ideas swirling around in my gray matter.

1956 F-100 Trashed.jpg

I experimented a little with the body last night – pleased with the results!

I glued some PE weld lines in strategic places to where I would expect the cuts to have been made for the “chop”.  Then I applied some black BMF (had to find a use for the otherwise useless stuff) around the weld lines on the body.  Next, I dry brushed different shades of browns on the body and sanded/scuffed the areas to expose the weld lines and the metal backing of the BMF.

photo image_zpshpetkcu0.jpeg photo image_zpsnmaa0ttm.jpeg photo image_zpsmqhy9xnl.jpeg photo image_zpsnfsn9d2z.jpeg

B

efore anyone goes crazy – yes I know there is no primer on the body, and yes, I did prep the resin before I started.  Its all part of my evil plan LOL.

I also played around with copper BMF on the grill shell – how does it look? It doesn’t suit the look I’m going for on this build, but I will put it aside for a future project!

photo image_zpsk9ggg3vj.jpeg photo image_zpsj6xgyngp.jpeg

Here's my inspiration for my build, and a mock up. I'll be sectioning the body and a slight chop to the top. Neither of which I've done before. :unsure:

I plan on sticking with the Hemi but want to add some induction assistance through a blower or turbos.

Dodge Rat Rod.jpg

2016-07-04 16.38.40.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I got a chance to get a little bench time in between my wife and daughter taking me out separately to celebrate my 60th. 

So I managed to section and chop (a little) the F-100. It was fun and very challenging. Now I have to do a lot of finishing and making the doors fit.

I'm planning on suicide doors, as I decided to remove the vent window frames since I broke them anyway.

Rat Rod Ford Truck Mockup.jpg

Like Curt, I built this for the NNL West rat rod theme this year, and like him I forgot to include this in the build off earlier. I'm hoping to do one more rat rod before the year is out so then I'll show the build more formally. In the meantime here's my AMT Ala Kart body shell with home made decals, flat purple Krylon paint, parts box small block Chevy, Monogram '37 ford suspension bits, AMT '34 Ford wheels and scratch built almost everything else...

DSCF4515-web_zps7nbyohl9.jpg

DSCF4514-web_zpsvj6ajjcg.jpg
Chassis-Details-2_zpshhuvilye.jpg
Details-2-web_zpscydafhh2.jpg
Header-Image-web_zpspbj5offv.jpg
DSCF4557-web_zpsk3f7bnh8.jpg
DSCF4581-web_zps2evfs1q8.jpg
DSCF4579-web_zpsb1e9ywmy.jpg
DSCF4575-web_zpswgzdkhgo.jpg

Edited by Bernard Kron