Model Cars Magazine Forum

eBay, Old Kit, Parts & Pieces Pricing, Who's to Blame?

Perusing through Evilbay window shopping some of the old styrene for sale, I started wondering just who is to blame for some of the stupidly high asking prices for old/vintage kits, parts, build ups, boxes...?  Is it the seller?  Is it the buyer?  Is it someone lacking patience to hunt the old kit(s) down?  Maybe even nostalgia, "I built this as a kid"?  Is it just because it's old?  Finally are some of these kits really worth a huge asking price when the builder may have to exercise extreme care with old brittle styrene?

What do you guys (and gals) think about it, would you even rather bother with the old styrene?  (Lots of questions, trying to generate some civil discussion).   What do you think?

Edited by Skip

Replying to my own question here.

In many hobbies, models included some of the ridiculous prices seem to be driven by people with no patience to hunt down what they want.  Used to collect and trade Redline Hot Wheels so I've seen the "it's old it's worth more mentality", there too!  We see it in the Old Car market as well, the rise of the "designer" Telivised Auctions proves that one, prices have risen astronomically since the Auction "Services" got involved.

I've bought a few old kits that haven't been available in eons and had issues with warped, brittle plastic, even tire burn.  Then there are parts, you are almost gauranteed you'll be doing some restoration.  Sometimes you get lucky and get unused pieces, which unfortunately end up brittle that you have to be super careful  with.  For me there are times when it's difficult to justify this kind of pricing with the extra care to make the part(s) work.

This is one of those questions where the answer is obvious. Anything up for sale on ebay is worth whatever the highest bidder is willing to pay. Period, end of explanation.

Some people want a particular item so bad that price is no object. The prices that items sell for at auction simply reflect how badly the highest bidder wanted the item, not the inherent value of the item itself. And obviously the seller can list their item for whatever price they want to, hoping to snag a desperate buyer.

It's really just as simple as that.

Yep ,all of the above. I see those  prices and wonder who would pay that much for a kit. It would have to be a serious collector to pay $200 for a kit that you can't build.

What cracks me up is the seller(s) want $15 + shipping for some part that's easily found in a complete kit for about the same price.

I'm not sure anyone can place blame on anyone.  I / we want what we want when we want it . I can afford it so why is it my fault .

I actively scan  Ebay for old kits / annuals.Watching when a particular kits sells and for how much .  BUT I have a budget in mind for a particular kit and try my best to stick to that.

Not sure I buy the fragile plastic story. I have dozens of old builtups and dont feel anyone is any more fragile than any others

Edited by gtx6970

Not sure I buy the fragile plastic story. I have dozens of old builtups and dont feel anyone is any more fragile than any others

It really depends on which particular kit it is and exactly what styrene composition was used to mold it, and how it's been stored, for how long.

I have a Revell "Mother's Cherry Pie" '31 Ford kit that crumbles to dust if you try to work it. I have other, earlier versions of the same basic Revell tooling that are just like new. I also have a Johan Dodge Phoenix that broke every time I handled it, and I had to reinforce the entire inside of the body with light fiberglass cloth and epoxy to be able to work it.

Far as prices go, there's no shortage of pig-greedy folks asking stupid money for just about everything, and there's no shortage of stupid or ignorant or just-in-a-hurry folks who will pay them.

Asking price or selling price??? 

If it's just high asking price.....blame ebay.  Sellers like me, who had a lot of listings over the years but no longer do, get e-mails all the time for free listings with reduced selling fees. I've been tempted to offer a RARE (favorite ebay word) kit at a super high price....if someone buys....GOOD....if not lost a few minutes!! 

High selling prices?? As stated supply and demand. Results of a free and open economy working as designed. 

Blame?? Founding fathers???

I know a fella who buys-and-sells vintage speed equipment, and if someone else owns anything, according to him it's junk and practically worthless...but as soon as HE owns it, it's solid gold, "rare", and worth a mint.

I've never been able to understand that particular logical disconnect in any context other than blind greed on his part, and a total lack of introspection OR any operational "golden rule" philosophy (though he talks a good game).

It really used to chap my hindquarters to see someone operating so entirely, hypocritically without conscience, but now I just laugh and walk away.

In the end , if someone will buy it , someone will sell it. If no one will pay the price , then the seller is forced to reconsider his selling strategy. However , no matter how irritating it is to see a complete vintage kit broken down into parts and sold piece by piece , someone will buy parts and the seller will keep selling. Places like Ebay are wonderful in that they get stuff onto the market that we would otherwise never see , but a bigger audience also allows for more people who are willing to pay more.

... according to him it's junk and practically worthless...but as soon as HE owns it, it's solid gold, "rare", and worth a mint...

That's absolutely part of the human condition, Bill 

Here's a comment made thousands of years ago...

"Bad, bad", says the buyer. But when he goes his way, then he boasts  (prov 20:14) :rolleyes:

mike

It's simply called business.  Many years ago I needed a plastic clip that had broke on my Geo Tracker (see avatar).  I went to the dealer and found they got $20 for a black plastic clip that couldn't have cost a dollar to manufacture.  But there it was in an official GM bag with a parts number on it. That $20 didn't represent the dollar part, but the cost of entering the part into their system, it traveling to a regional parts warehouse and being shipped to the dealer when he ordered it for me.  Yea, I needed it and paid the $20.

Its the same thing with the guys on eBay selling kit parts for what you guys think are astronomical prices.  For every part on eBay there's at least a manhour involved.  You have to photograph the part, write a description,  enter it all into an eBay form.  Then manage the auction, maybe having to renew it a few times.  Then someone actually buys it and you have to pack, ship and make sure the buyer receives it and is happy.   All of that is probably an hour per item.   Would you begrudge anyone trying to earn a $20 an hour living?  

And the second part... money has different values to different people.    People are at different economic levels.  There are people that a hundred dollar kit would destroy their monthly budget, so they cannot buy it.  And there are guys who wouldn't miss the hundred dollars at all and buy several of them a month.   And if Donald Trump got into the model car market,  he could easily bid thousands of dollars on kits and it wouldn't matter one iota to him!

It's simply called business.  Many years ago I needed a plastic clip that had broke on my Geo Tracker (see avatar).  I went to the dealer and found they got $20 for a black plastic clip that couldn't have cost a dollar to manufacture.  But there it was in an official GM bag with a parts number on it. That $20 didn't represent the dollar part, but the cost of entering the part into their system, it traveling to a regional parts warehouse and being shipped to the dealer when he ordered it for me.  Yea, I needed it and paid the $20.

Go to six different dealers and get six different prices for a part. Twenty bucks for a clip...............if I knowed ya many years ago, I woulda sent ya ovah t'see Moose at Grand Auto Parts in Ridgewood, NY. He woulda let ya have it for the trouble of takin' it off the car yourself because he was that kind of guy. Actually. all of the junk yards i did business with were good like that for small parts. I bought an extremely low mileage (10,459 miles. The '89 Taurus SHO it was pulled out of was totaled) 3.0 L SHO V6 and MTX-IV tranny combo for $875. Yup, Moose was my go-to guy for all of my Robocopmobile needs. That is, until the day I called the place and some strange voice was at the other end of the line. I asked to speak with Moose. He said "Moose isn't here." When will he be back? "Probably in 7 to 25." Who're you?!? "Special Agent Blah Blah, FBI. I'm afraid I didn't catch your name." That's right, you didn't. CLICK! Too bad. That Moose was a swell guy to do business with.

Go to six different dealers and get six different prices for a part. Twenty bucks for a clip...............if I knowed ya many years ago, I woulda sent ya ovah t'see Moose at Grand Auto Parts in Ridgewood, NY. He woulda let ya have it for the trouble of takin' it off the car yourself because he was that kind of guy. Actually. all of the junk yards i did business with were good like that for small parts. I bought an extremely low mileage (10,459 miles. The '89 Taurus SHO it was pulled out of was totaled) 3.0 L SHO V6 and MTX-IV tranny combo for $875. Yup, Moose was my go-to guy for all of my Robocopmobile needs. That is, until the day I called the place and some strange voice was at the other end of the line. I asked to speak with Moose. He said "Moose isn't here." When will he be back? "Probably in 7 to 25." Who're you?!? "Special Agent Blah Blah, FBI. I'm afraid I didn't catch your name." That's right, you didn't. CLICK! Too bad. That Moose was a swell guy to do business with.

I just love this forum, that's hilarious. Naughty, Naughty Moose. I really can only speak for myself, but I imagine most of us have known a Moose or two in our lives. Again, pretty good story.  Thank you.    Jeff 

Most of the craziness can be blamed on eBay pricing structure for the listings.  IN the old day there was an insertion fee, fee for the amount of opening bid, and then the fee for the selling price.  The insertion fee had to be paid even if the item didn't sell. Sellers were much more reasonable and careful with the items they listed and their prices.

Fast forward to today. eBay has no insertion or the initial amount fees. If the item doesn't sell, it can be re listed for free again and again.  This leads to sellers coming up with some very strange auction listings which they keep on re-listing (if they don't sell) for months at a time. it is all free!

I have been watching one listing for over a year. A MotorMax 1:64 diecast car which often shows up on eBay and is usually sold in a price range of $5-$40.  But this seller wants $130!!  He is simply looking for a sucker.  I did contact him asking why such a high price when other examples (in a similar condition) sell for much lower price but as expected I got no reply.  Free market baby - looking for suckers.

And then there are those sellers who break apart rare old kits, just to sell individual parts from them for big bucks.  Don't even get me started on that one.

Edited by peteski

I'm not sure anyone can place blame on anyone.  I / we want what we want when we want it . I can afford it so why is it my fault .

I actively scan  Ebay for old kits / annuals.Watching when a particular kits sells and for how much .  BUT I have a budget in mind for a particular kit and try my best to stick to that.

I agree.

I've built about 30 old annual kits ranging from 1958 vintage to about 1969 & have had absolutely no issues with "brittle" plastic.

No different than any new kit that I have experienced.

I'm just like Bill.

I set a price that I'm willing to pay in my mind before I bid on a kit, & that's usually the one & only bid I will make.

If I get it, great!

If not, I'll try again on a different one.

I'm not sure why it would be puzzling to anyone why prices are high on certain kits.

It's all about supply & demand.

Steve

Not every listing is free. I get 50 free listings a month but I don't have a store. You have to pay monthly for that. After I used up my 50 free listings. A model part is $1 to list and if it sells you pay a fee. It is 10% of the final value. Final value is total invoice price with shipping. So it does not matter to eBay if you start it at $1 and $14 to ship or offer free shipping and start it at $15.

As for the prices of parts if they sell then that is what they are worth. I have sold many vintage parts and helped out many modelers who needed a part that was missing. I have been accused of parting out a perfect kit but that is not true. It would not make sense to buy a kit for $200 then part it out unless the parts sold for $300 or more. I got what I needed from the kit and sold the rest. Some parts are worth more than others. Most body parts and stock parts get the most. The custom parts don't usually sell as well. I build factory stock and have sold off the unused custom parts. Helps put money back in my hobby fund.

I watch a lot of stuff on eBay and if you keep watching for deals and they do turn up! Others are shocking. I just watched this sell!! http://www.ebay.com/itm/321940684568?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I have two of these and if they are selling for this I may be listing one.

And then there are those sellers who break apart rare old kits, just to sell individual parts from them for big bucks.  Don't even get me started on that one.

Those guys can be a Godsend for those of us who may need that particular hard to find part for a kit we may already have.

I have a Johan 1967 Plymouth Fury kit that was perfect in every way, except for one missing hub cap.

If not for one of those "unscrupulous" sellers, it would still be a tricycle.

I see no difference as to whether a seller wants to sell whole kits or just parts.

If there's a market for them, which there is, why would you not sell them?

Steve

I'm thankful for the parts sellers; my gluebombs would still be gluebombs without them. Of course some of them can list one parts tree - or one bumper - for $14.95 until kingdom come for all I care.

Of course it's backfired on me - recently someone listed a set of three parts for a rare kit; I needed one of them but I didn't want to pay ten bucks for a hood. I let the auction run out, the items didn't sell, and I figured he'd relist them with a lower opening bid. He hasn't relisted them, period. Oh well (kicks self).

Two of the better Parts sellers are Vintage Model Parts, and Floyd 426 RT

They both start the parts low. But Yes they do go HIGH many times!!

I have bought Many parts from Floyd. Got a 62 Galaxie Convedrtible box with some parts. Only Bid!!

I don't care about the Custom parts, But I got the Chrome tree with FOUR Mint Stock Hubcaps/Wheel Covers!!!!!

I have a Turista Turismo that Needs those!!!!

I have 3 Fender Ornamenbts, and 7 Dog-Dish caps for the 63 F-100 All from Floyd, and all at LOW cost!!

I have lost the hood for a 61 Bonneville MANY times from Both sellers as they Never stay below $15.oo or so

I believe I can get a Resin one from Modelhaus for less than Half that!!!!

I will still watch evilbay

You CAN get a Decent, even GREAT price on that Hard to replace part.

You just have to hit the Correct auction!!

I have 6 BOXED Aurora ALF 900 Pumpers All bought for less that $35.oo each

And at least 3 of those have Extra parts!!

I think I have 2 Complete Extra Cabs between all 6 kits

Yes Many have Loose Parts, But NONE were Incomplete!!!

Also I got a 65 Galaxie Convertible in a box lot of Builts.

Paid $20.oo something for the Lot!!

As every one here knows, Set your  Price, and Laugh at the Fool that pays More than

you want to!!!

• Xingu locked this topic