Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Hot Rod/Roadkill Crusher Camaro finished!

JTalmage

I've been working on this one a few hours here and there over the past half-month (since I went so long without working on it) and finally got the motivation to finish it. 

The inspiration for this build was the car that David Freiburger owns, that is a frequent feature car in the magazine and an ongoing project car. Recently it's been a featured project for the Youtube series Roadkill. This kit came out right about the time they started featuring the Crusher more often on some of the Youtube episodes and I knew I had to build this car! 

I really wanted to add some fuel lines and fittings for the carbs but I wanted to have more of a list of parts to order first before doing that, as to not waste shipping, so that will come in time. Plus I wouldn't mind trying to figure out how to do some throttle linkages. I also want to get some resin traction bars to complete "the look"  Anyway, on to the build.

Revell's new '67 Camaro special edition kit

Tamiya primer/Tamiya Chrome Yellow/Tamiya clear

Bare Metal Foil chrome around the windows (the cozy wings are a PITA!)

wetsanded w/ 3000 grit 3M trizact and polished with several stages of Wizards products.

Centerline Auto Drag wheels/pre-wired Distributor/MSD box/B&M rachet shifter all from Morgan Automotive detail

Turbo 400 trans/9" Ford axle/750 Holley carbs also from BNL Resins

Tires/Blower and belt/Electric fan/Moroso valvecovers/Wheel backs/Headers/Rear shocks/Rear riser blocks/Ignition coil are from my parts box as well. 

Scratchbuilt the blower scoop and covered it with chrome BMF. 

On to the pictures!

No matter what I did, the front bumper wouldn't sit level.

20151213_201007.png_zpsbvhd9hsj.jpeg

20151213_200711.png_zpsaebmawky.jpeg

I even made the correct license plate for the car too...

20151213_200730.png_zps9g14y4df.jpeg

20151213_200800.png_zpssaf84aec.jpeg

The 1:1 car has the emblems removed from the sides and trunk.

20151213_200819.png_zpsxljufopu.jpeg

20151213_200850.png_zpsetebt2me.jpeg

I didnt even attempt to add the missing chrome strips in the grille since it was soo small and detailed. Looks pretty good without it anyway. Also when I glued the scoop to the carbs, I went to drop them onto the blower and sorta "dropped them" in place, and they glued a little crooked. Whoops.

20151213_200907.png_zps9ktzgpys.jpeg

20151213_200925.png_zpshcaea5np.jpeg

20151213_200942.png_zpswzjf0qtu.jpeg

20151213_201025.png_zps9f8kyynr.jpeg

Modified the exhaust to work with the headers, then cut the tailpipes up and made turndowns for the mufflers. I also dusted the chassis and suspension with Tamiya weathering powders (my new favorite thing!!)

20151213_201048.png_zpsa2ssohhx.jpeg

Cut the clutch pedal off, cut it in half, and cut the brake pedal in half and created an automatic brake pedal. 

20151129_153250.png_zpsdtnc3v79.jpeg

I'm overall pretty happy with this build. Revell's new Camaro sure does lend to some cool builds and the ability to kit bash as well. If I wasnt so impatient it would look even better. 

Things I know now not to do: Try to wetsand and polish the body without supporting it somehow. All the body flex while handling it put permanent wrinkles in the lower front windshield BMF, which I was very unhappy about. Also, not to paint a body that just came from a 72 degree house, in 50 degree weather with room temp paint cans.... ran the LAST coat of clear. Just proves my impatience.

Let me know what you think!

Edited by JTalmage
Grammar/Spelling/Description updates.