Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell and West Coast Customs

A Special Announcement from Revell: Check out complete details on the official press release here: 
http://tinyurl.com/o3z4x5f

Ryan Friedlinghaus, founder and CEO, West Coast Customs and Lou Aguilera, GM and Vice President, Revell shake hands in front of the WCC/Revell model store located at the new state-of-the art WCC headquarters located in Burbank, CA. Revell and West Coast Customs have agreed to a 3-year TV sponsorship agreement.

Aren't they the guys who put Lambo doors and 30" rims on everything?

Yup, reDONKulous stuff! Hey maybe that's the next version of the Hemi Cuda some of you have been asking about. :P 

Just another car guy (using that loosely) with zero taste making $$$ off of goofs with more money than grey matter. Could be a ploy for Revell to rid themselves of the donk kits that didn't sell the first time around.

Edited by Phirewriter

Ed Sexton doesn't see to get it, Roger Harney had a passion for hot rods and cars he designed the 29 ford roadster and the Stacy David 32 was his idea before he passed away, so they are doing what he didn't complete, and after seeing the first quarter of next year, they need some fresh blood in there, they are out of ideas !! and they think that Foose and now West Coast Customs are the ticket LMAO.No one wants anymore PT Cruiser reissues or more dodge challengers...IMHO...all the Foose cars look like 4X4s with the big wheels..I think since Bob Utalwski left and Roger's unfortunate passing, their car brain trust is gone and they are out of touch...IMHO

Edited by kitswapper
typo

The two aren't even working on any kits together, and yet, Revell has lost its way, and we're all doomed. :lol: At least Frank provided a link to the article for those who want to actually read and understand what this partnership is about before commenting. Please don't let that stop you from jumping to conclusions and extrapolating the future results of a business partnership that has literally just started. :rolleyes:

Also, if someone would please be so kind to remind us all how Ed Roth, George Barris, Darryl Starbird, Tom Daniel, Chip Foose's, etc. involvement with model companies ruined modeling forever, it would be greatly appreciated. What in the world could the obviously out-of-touch brain trust in Elk Grove Village possibly thinking their model kits, which can be customized, would even remotely have in common with a business which customizes real cars? <_<

From the announcement:

Key facets of the Revell/West Coast Customs partnership beyond the opening of the Revell Store

include:

· Multiple Revell “Make n Takes” at West Coast Customs’ Burbank headquarters starting

in 2016

· Appearances by Revell employees on “West Coast Customs” to discuss shop or products

· Revell mentions on the West Coast Customs website and other social media platforms

that reach over 3.1 million users

“Revell is a legend in the scale model world. I am sure many of our customers built Revell

model cars as kids,” said Ryan Friedlinghaus, West Coast Customs Founder and CEO. “It’s

exciting for us to partner with a company that encourages the next generation of car lovers to

dream big by building their own customized cars in miniature.”

As the relationship develops, Revell and Friedlinghaus intend to explore development of West

Coast Customs-specific licensed model kits. The companies will also cooperate on a range of

marketing, advertising and promotional activities.

The two aren't even working on any kits together, and yet, Revell has lost its way, and we're all doomed. :lol: At least Frank provided a link to the article for those who want to actually read and understand what this partnership is about before commenting. Please don't let that stop you from jumping to conclusions and extrapolating the future results of a business partnership that has literally just started. :rolleyes:

Also, if someone would please be so kind to remind us all how Ed Roth, George Barris, Darryl Starbird, Tom Daniel, Chip Foose's, etc. involvement with model companies ruined modeling forever, it would be greatly appreciated. What in the world could the obviously out-of-touch brain trust in Elk Grove Village possibly thinking their model kits, which can be customized, would even remotely have in common with a business which customizes real cars? <_<

uh, what he said ^^^ !

If it gets our hobby more exposure and draws some people back into the hobby or for the first time, I see it as a win-win. 

Would I have West Coast Customs build me a car? Probably not. Are they craftsmen in custom car building? Yes, just not my cup of tea.

This much is true- At least Revell is trying AND bringing new subjects to market. 

I was never a fan of the Foose range of kits and I probably wouldn't be of the West coast kits if they decide to produce some however............... the kids love it !, they see these shows on TV and then they go to the store and they can build that car and thats what its all about keeping the youngsters on board to take this hobby into the future. Promoting the Revell brand on a very popular TV show is a very good buisiness move if you ask me.

Plus the revenue from selling these kits will give Revell the capital to design the odd new kit for us older modellers.

Im all for it.

Ed Sexton doesn't see to get it, Roger Harney had a passion for hot rods and cars he designed the 29 ford roadster and the Stacy David 32 was his idea before he passed away, so they are doing what he didn't complete, and after seeing the first quarter of next year, they need some fresh blood in there, they are out of ideas !! and they think that Foose and now West Coast Customs are the ticket LMAO.No one wants anymore PT Cruiser reissues or more dodge challengers...IMHO...all the Foose cars look like 4X4s with the big wheels..I think since Bob Utalwski left and Roger's unfortunate passing, their car brain trust is gone and they are out of touch...IMHO

Roger Harney didn't design the 29 Ford roadster (and 31 coupe), John Meuller did.  It's possible he was part of the initial concept, it was in development for a while.  The 50 Olds was Roger's pet project and unfortunately he died before it came out. 

Roger Harney didn't design the 29 Ford roadster (and 31 coupe), John Meuller did.  It's possible he was part of the initial concept, it was in development for a while.  The 50 Olds was Roger's pet project and unfortunately he died before it came out. 

I thought John Meuller was at RC2/AMT in the '00s...didn't know he was at Revell. 

Me thinks that 99.9% of us would put Revell in rapid bankruptcy with our pet projects and ideas of what would sell...with absolutely no market insight beyond our own bench.

A company needs to grow - not continue to cater to the same crowd. How many kits can a baby boomer continue to jam into his/her stash? Different generations need to spend money with these companies too - or the business model will change to very expensive models with lower sales volume - then we can enjoy all the "too much" whimpering...

I thought John Meuller was at RC2/AMT in the '00s...didn't know he was at Revell. 

He was with AMT from the early 60's up until the RC2 days, just before Round2.  He's semi-retired/freelance now, he's in his 70's. I don't know him personally, but we have a mutual friend who keeps in touch with him.  It's not a big industry secret he does some work for Revell and Moebius these days.