Model Cars Magazine Forum

'69 Plymouth GTX; Hood Striping

Roadrunner

While waiting for parts needed to complete some other projects, I started preliminary work on this last night, the AMT '69 GTX that I recently received in a trade. Colors (I think) will be Testors Root Beer metallic and black. I may change my mind on the colors, but for the moment this is what I have in mind.

69 GTX (1).jpg

Edited by Roadrunner

Sweet!! Does Testors make the Rootbeer brown metallic in a spray can still/ I haven't seen any in my area in awhile. Thanks much for those reference downloads too by the way. Lots of good info there.B)

It's still available, but whether or not it's still being produced, I have no idea. And glad I could help with the references you wanted. You should be set, references wise.

As it turns out, there was a factory color (Saddle Bronze) that's not a bad match at all to the Root Beer color (close enough anyway), so it won't be as weird as I originally thought. I'll also go with the stock rallye wheels (or whatever they're called), but these bizarre off road tires included in the kit, will definitely need to go into the trash, as they look just ridiculous.

Don't know if you saw my reply to your comment on my thread but just thought I would reiterate what I wrote. I'm looking forward to seeing the progress on your GTX and also glad that you decided to start this project. In my own opinion those years for MOPARS were the greatest.

Don't know if you saw my reply to your comment on my thread but just thought I would reiterate what I wrote. I'm looking forward to seeing the progress on your GTX and also glad that you decided to start this project. In my own opinion those years for MOPARS were the greatest.

I did, Tony, and just commented there. I agree, this body style era was sweet.

Not trying to get off the subject of color but just wanted to say that, I just love this kit. Great choice Roadrunner, great kit.    Thank you.   Jeff       saddle bronze is a nice color! 

I love the quality of the body molding, very nice indeed. I have discovered a fairly serious problem (to me anyway) with the hood though, and will post photos later today.

And here is the aforementioned problem; hood has a substantial gap (around .040 by a quick guesstimate), so I'll need to add .020 strips to both sides of hood to close it up tight. I'll be painting the hood attached (as I'll do with most of my cars), so this gap needs to be resolved before I can proceed.

gtx 1 001.jpg

Edited by Roadrunner

Wow, that is a pretty big gap. I have built 1 about a year ago and gave it to my nephew which he still has but don't remember this problem. I will look next time I am over there. It's was also the same release as yours. Thanks for posting the picture of the hood as this is how I learn about different things with different kits and really appreciate it. I just got back into modeling a few years ago so I am still learning how to build really good so I might of missed that gap on mine but I'm trying to improve with each kit I build. Again thank you for sharing and I will be watching.    Jeff 

I'm just lucky I checked it, Jeff. Normally I would have painted it separate, then added it, if I were fixing up the engine bay guts, but I want the hood firmly anchored in place when I paint/polish on this one.

I just had to do the same thing on my '65 Monaco build.

The right front fender seems to be warped outward a tiny bit towards the front bumper, yet the radiator brace is where it belongs & the front bumper fits fine.

Not sure where the problem is but the gap is non-existant at the firewall, & as wide as yours at the grille.

Weird, but a little styrene strip has taken care of that problem.

Steve

I just had to do the same thing on my '65 Monaco build.

The right front fender seems to be warped outward a tiny bit towards the front bumper, yet the radiator brace is where it belongs & the front bumper fits fine.

Not sure where the problem is but the gap is non-existant at the firewall, & as wide as yours at the grille.

Weird, but a little styrene strip has taken care of that problem.

Steve

Well thank goodness the hood opening and hood are very square, so no trapezoidal corrections need to be done.

Gap turned out to be closer to .030 (almost exactly), so .015 strips have been glued to hood sides to close that gap. Once dry, I'll trim to size, putty as needed, then secure to body.

gtx 2 002.jpg

Be careful not to get it too tight Kevin.

Be mindful of paint thickness.

I've had a couple of projects give me a little trouble with the hood fitting perfectly before paint & not so much after 3 or 4 color coats & 3 to 5 clear coats.

I make sure now that I leave a bit of a gap to compensate for that.

Steve

Just in case it matters to you. But the hood is 1968,  If not  Carry on

1969 has the vents open towards the top

Interesting observation, Bill, thanks for pointing that out. This is the hood that came with the kit, so I'm OK with it. Besides, it looks pretty cool, I think.

Yes she does. Her brother (my uncle) owns a restoration business. He painted the car for her when she first bought it. They had the engine rebuilt at the same time. They put the engine back in the car, put the air cleaner on it, and shut the hood. DOH! They forgot to cut down the threaded rod that mounts the air cleaner to the carb....put a nice dimple in the brand new paint job....you can't see it in the pic but I know it's there LOL