Model Cars Magazine Forum

'69 Plymouth GTX; Hood Striping

Roadrunner

Hey Kevin....... question and some insight.............. LOL

That engine supply you got isn't the only kit to have all this! The old AMT-Ertl '70 Coronet was the first kit I EVER found to have 3 complete engines in it...... this one only missing the 426 DOHC Hemi...... LOADED for us Mopar guys, I got several! -This is the insight I've found I THINK AMT pulled a Chrysler trick LOL took several "B" body kits, and put bodies on the same frame over-an-over........ making them a Mini-Mopar dealership LOL More or less a little "re-badging" too...... Which for models is a GREAT way to keep "true" to the prototype!

Now my question, what engine you

Hey Kevin....... question and some insight.............. LOL

That engine supply you got isn't the only kit to have all this! The old AMT-Ertl '70 Coronet was the first kit I EVER found to have 3 complete engines in it...... this one only missing the 426 DOHC Hemi...... LOADED for us Mopar guys, I got several! -This is the insight I've found I THINK AMT pulled a Chrysler trick LOL took several "B" body kits, and put bodies on the same frame over-an-over........ making them a Mini-Mopar dealership LOL More or less a little "re-badging" too...... Which for models is a GREAT way to keep "true" to the prototype!

Now my question, what engine you going with for the GTX? I ask as I would be interested in the exhaust manifolds to the 440, which are part numbers 355 & 356. BUT I'd be interested in that whole motor if you'd trade it off..... let me know in PM!

Paint is looking good. I have yet to venture into the realm of pre-foiling script, I think I need to practice that first. 

This was my first shot at it, but it certainly won't be my last. It's a real nice technique for the small scripts, badges and such, and seems easy enough.

I'm just afraid I won't be able to get around those little bitty letters with the blade. I'll just have to try it.

I just applied a swatch over the entire groups of letters, then burnished down tight, trimming away the excess. I guess that's the way it's normally done. If I had to trim around all the individual letters, I'd go blind for sure.

I just applied a swatch over the entire groups of letters, then burnished down tight, trimming away the excess. I guess that's the way it's normally done. If I had to trim around all the individual letters, I'd go blind for sure.

:lol: I forgot about doing it that way! Much easier. 

Kevin this is turning out great. you definitely have skills. The paint looks awesome. Question how did you do the wood grain for the interior. It looks like you started with an airbrush. Since I don't have an airbrush do you have any suggestion how I could accomplish that affect using brushes. 

Kevin this is turning out great. you definitely have skills. The paint looks awesome. Question how did you do the wood grain for the interior. It looks like you started with an airbrush. Since I don't have an airbrush do you have any suggestion how I could accomplish that affect using brushes. 

Thank you very much. You can always just brush paint on the Acrylic base coat, then paint with the oils once that's dry. I just seem to use the airbrush for most everything, but it's not really required.

wheels and tires look just right. 

Thanks, I think so too. I need to figure out what kit has the best rendition of these wheels, then buy several of that kit, as many of my Mopar muscle kits will use them. And I love these polyglas and red line tires; I'll be buying several more boxes of them, as the kit tires frequently look like some mutated off-road 4x4 truck mudders or some nonsense.

Here's the same technique used for the same effect (though much better than what I did to this interior) on a 1:32 Fokker Dr.I floorboard I did a few years back (floorboard wasn't nearly finished at the time of this photo).

Cables.jpg

Edited by Roadrunner

While eyeballing some GTX photos, I noticed a couple of things; vertical bars in grille are not chrome, so I've muted these with tire black. Also headlight surrounds appear to be chromed metal, but the insides (around the headlights themselves) are aluminum looking, so I brushed aluminum around them and added a very thin wash of Tamiya smoke to lenses. In this photo, only the passenger side is finished this way. I think it's an improvement, regardless, and I'm pleased with the results so far.

lights 002.jpg

Hi Roadrunner. I've been following your build since the beginning and I am loving it. Not only is that beauty coming out perfect I'm also learning a few things along the way to. Just wanted to say keep up with the Great work and I'll be following along.    Thanks.    Jeff