Model Cars Magazine Forum

'69 Plymouth GTX; Hood Striping

Roadrunner

All four wheels have now had their centers painted flat black (actually a very, very dark "blackish" gray), with  lug nuts painted on two of the wheels. I dreamed up a great way to leave the lug nuts chrome, but neglected to do it on this car.

misc 004.jpg

misc 005.jpg

Edited by Roadrunner

If you want the lug nugs chrome after the black detailing, you can just carefully scrape the black paint off them with the point of a toothpick. Done it many times.

That's actually a very good idea, so thanks, I'll certainly try it out.  (I tend to over-think this stuff sometimes.)

Looking good Kevin, what Snake said on the lug nuts will work. You can also apply a very small amount (I run mine over a paper towel before using) of whatever thinner will work for the wash you used and lightly go over the top of the lugnuts with it. I use those really small cotton swabs by Tamiya for this.  

I hope you fellas aren't growing too weary of my pathetic updates, but I figure any progress, is good progress. Slowly but surely, I'm beginning to get some chrome on this thing. It's a slow process (at least for me), but I'll keep at it this afternoon.

I look forward to the updates on this one Kevin. Man that car body is just shinin'!!!

Looking good Kevin, what Snake said on the lug nuts will work. You can also apply a very small amount (I run mine over a paper towel before using) of whatever thinner will work for the wash you used and lightly go over the top of the lugnuts with it. I use those really small cotton swabs by Tamiya for this.  

Unfortunately, once cured, the acrylic I used is somewhat resistant to water, and alcohol will strip the chrome right off.

I look forward to the updates on this one Kevin. Man that car body is just shinin'!!!

Thanks, Joe. I really want to get this one in the "Under Glass" section, so that I can get a start on my '71. I've ordered some clear semi-gloss to spray the seats with, as dead flat black just looks really lame. Once that paint arrives, I should see an end to this car in another week or so.

I hope you fellas aren't growing too weary of my pathetic updates, but I figure any progress, is good progress. Slowly but surely, I'm beginning to get some chrome on this thing. It's a slow process (at least for me), but I'll keep at it this afternoon.

misc 003.jpg

Never, ever.  I personally can't get enough. Please show us every little tidbit that you do because You my friend are doing one fantastic job. Roadrunner, this also helps me out tremendously as I honestly stink at building but  watching and reading all the great stuff on this forum is making me a better builder so thank you for sharing this with us.         Jeff 

Good news: I now have a rolling chassis (though it really won't roll, as I'll be solidly gluing the wheels on later).

Bad news: Stock wheels are wider than the tires I've chosen, which I didn't notice until after all wheels/tires were assembled. I'll be able to fix that though, by inserting a spacer between the inner wheel and tire. It may be a Mickey Mouse solution, but since inner and outer wheels are now firmly anchored together, I really have no other choice. 

chassis 001.jpg

Good news: I now have a rolling chassis (though it really won't roll, as I'll be solidly gluing the wheels on later).

Bad news: Stock wheels are wider than the tires I've chosen, which I didn't notice until after all wheels/tires were assembled. I'll be able to fix that though, by inserting a spacer between the inner wheel and tire. It may be a Mickey Mouse solution, but since inner and outer wheels are now firmly anchored together, I really have no other choice. 

chassis 001.jpg

....I am presently working on the 68 road runner kit, and of course it has the same pitfalls as the GTX.....wheel / tire /  backing plate set up is poor, and I have noticed several of the built models around suffer from bad stance and floppy wheel to axel mounting....gluing all together is the way out, unless your very ambitious and create your own set up here. also, I notice that these kits always seem to sit quite low in the rear....mine is being built a drag piece, so kicking the diff/ spring assembly up is not a problem, using simple plastic strips under the spring perches.......your piece is coming great....the Ace....;)

Thanks a bunch, fellas. Ace, I have no idea how it will sit (never checked), but I hope it ends up with the body parallel to the ground. Another thing I noticed, but made no attempt to correct, are the fact that the door panels aren't accurate for a '69. Perhaps they're a carryover from an earlier version of this cars' molds?

Shane, there are several web tutorials on simulating wood, but I don't have any bookmarked links handy. Sorry. If I stumble across one of them, I'll post a link here.

Edited by Roadrunner

Thanks a bunch, fellas. Ace, I have no idea how it will sit (never checked), but I hope it ends up with the body parallel to the ground. Another thing I noticed, but made no attempt to correct, are the fact that the door panels aren't accurate for a '69. Perhaps they're a carryover from an earlier version of this cars' molds?

Shane, there are several web tutorials on simulating wood, but I don't have any bookmarked links handy. Sorry. If I stumble across one of them, I'll post a link here.

Kevin,,,,you may find that the rear body height is a touch low....I have seen this on several of these rr and gtx builds. a simple bit of plastic strip under the spring mounts should get it up to your liking....test fit all before your final assembly, as I mentioned, the 68 RR I'm working on as we speak suffered from this, and as you mentioned prior the wheel and brake set up need some work, as they seem a bit sloppy. I extended the axel tubes a bit with a plug end cap, so the brake assembly parts / wheel backs have something to firmly align with now...couple hours work, but worth it in the end.......best,,,the Ace.....;)

Edited by AC Norton
text

Well, Ace, my springs are firmly welded into place, and frame painted, so I doubt I'll change it now. I may well test fit it just to see what's what though. It bothers me worse that the door panels are wrong, but I'll just live with them the way they are. Hopefully, on my '71, I'll plan and check things a wee bit better before I dive in.

Well, Ace, my springs are firmly welded into place, and frame painted, so I doubt I'll change it now. I may well test fit it just to see what's what though. It bothers me worse that the door panels are wrong, but I'll just live with them the way they are. Hopefully, on my '71, I'll plan and check things a wee bit better before I dive in.

......as for your door panel question, I have never had the GTX kit, so I'm not sure about details there.....I think GTX 68 and 69 panels were different, but whether the kit is correct, I'd have to look into that. ...as for the rear height situation, even though you have glued all in place, you may find that if rear height is off a bit, just adjusting the body to chassis fit on final assembly may get you by, with a piece of hidden plastic bar strip, or whatever is around...that is to say, you may find that a bit of height movement on adjusting all components together by using 5 minute epoxy could allow you to play with all final assembly to inch the body shell around a little to get your liking in height....just a thought,...I know I will find more small fit problems as I continue with my RR as well.....that's modeling, I suppose...lol...the Ace.....:D