Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Secret to Building a Better Model

afx

1. Buy an expensive air brush Wrong.  An air brush can certainly improve your builds, when used correctly.  However many award winning builds have been finished with nothing more than rattle cans.

2. Start with an expensive kit – Wrong.   Whether it is a plastic or resin kit the price of the kit will not ensure great results.  In fact buying a kit above you current skill level often results in a disappointing build.

3. Kit bashing – Wrong.  If the additional parts aren't installed correctly or inappropriate parts are added this detracts from the finished build.

4. Aftermarket parts – Nope.  You can buy as many aftermarket parts as you can fit on your build but if they aren’t installed or finished correctly this again will lead to disappointment.

5. Study your subject – Ding Ding Ding we have a winner!  The best way I have found to improve my builds is to understand the subject as fully as possible before I start to build.  Instead of buying a bunch of aftermarket parts buy a book on your subject or do some research on the internet.  Understanding what each kit part is supposed represents and what its function is on the vehicle allows you to:

• install it in the correct location and in the correct orientation

• finish it correctly– should it be shiny,  dull, textured etc.

• refine or correct the part’s shape

• wire and/or plumb the part

• scratch build a part that is not included in the kit

Knowledge and understanding of the subject has helped me become a better builder.  I think it will help you too.

I don't know How I missed this one. Priceless!!! Great post JC

"RASS"

Im new to this hobby, the number one thing I've done to improve my modelling skills was joining this forum and patcipating in the activity. Biggest thing was accepting the fact that I wasn't going to get the same results as everyone else. That's why I participate! It's a big help everyone is so helpful here. I also took and still do take baby steps so to speak. Each model build I look at my last one and think "I really don't like how this part turned out" so my next one that may be my focus. I just try to build my next one a little better than my last or a little more detail than the last.. For me this makes it "fun" and in the end I'm left with something that looks good on the shelf. 

I also feel that one more thing should be mentioned. The build quality also depends on how fastidious (read "anal") the modeler is.  It really helps to improve the quality if you sweat the small details. Some people are naturally that way while others have to learn to sweat the small stuff. I also see examples where some people don't seem capable of really sweating the small stuff (is is just not in their nature). They are just more sloppy than other people.  Those people can still build decent models (which can place in the category they enter in - maybe even a first place) but they might never win the "best of" award at any show.  But that is ok - as long as they enjoy what they do.

I also feel that one more thing should be mentioned. The build quality also depends on how fastidious (read "anal") the modeler is.  It really helps to improve the quality if you sweat the small details. Some people are naturally that way while others have to learn to sweat the small stuff. I also see examples where some people don't seem capable of really sweating the small stuff (is is just not in their nature). They are just more sloppy than other people.  Those people can still build decent models (which can place in the category they enter in - maybe even a first place) but they might never win the "best of" award at any show.  But that is ok - as long as they enjoy what they do.

I quit trying to live up to any examples on this forum because it's fruitless. I'm simply incapable of doing all the intricate detail work and superior execution that I see here. They make beautiful models but I just prefer to build to my own standards. Not show stuff, just decently finished. I sure get a lot of ideas here as well as excellent advice.

I quit trying to live up to any examples on this forum because it's fruitless. I'm simply incapable of doing all the intricate detail work and superior execution that I see here. They make beautiful models but I just prefer to build to my own standards. Not show stuff, just decently finished. I sure get a lot of ideas here as well as excellent advice.

Some of us will never win the GSL.  Fact.  I know I don't have it in me!

Back when I started in the late 1980s I learned everything I could from every resource I had and improved my models exponentially in a few years time.  I found a niche of weathered light commercial models that I loved and got very good at.  I won best in class awards, some masters awards like best interior, but never a Best in Show.  I was happy with what I had achieved.

Move forward 28 years and the cutting edge of model building has moved quite a ways!  The models I won awards with back when I started won't win anything in today's shows. Builders have gotten that much better.     Of course my own building has gotten better and I try something new or try to do something better with every model.  But I have drawn a line in the sand!  I will not buy and learn to use a lathe, or other metal work. I don't want to have a 3D printer.  I see people assembling working scale front ends from flea size bits.  I marvel at their accomplishments, but have no desire to do that myself.   I have found a happy level of detail that I'm satisfied with.  No reason to feel bad or inferior to others. I build what I like and am pleased with my build quality and execution.  I've built the model I had in my head.  

Why don't I move forward into new levels of building?  I just don't find it appealing.  If I had wanted to be a metal worker  I would've worked in a machine shop.  I just don't see this as being fun.  And when it stops being fun, it stops!

If you are trying to get serious about the hobby you need a workhorse gravity feed air brush. I know a lot of people will say you don't but if you want to get really good you need to give yourself the ability to do that.

You don't need a gravity feed, a decent siphon feed will work fine.

Specifically regarding airbrushes, it should be noted that a good air supply is at least 50% of the equation (though often taken for granted by those who have one). I would rather work with a $15 flea market Chinese pirate clone of a third rate SA airbrush and a good, reliable, controllable air supply than with the finest airbrush ever made and a Propel can or one of those dicky little desktop compressors (as I struggled to do for many years). I've often said that the day I bought my Campbell-Hausfeld compressor with tank and regulator was the single happiest day of my modeling life.

And there are many paths to a "good air supply," too. They all have upsides and downsides. Bad air supplies have nothing but downsides, and are often just as expensive as the good ones.

What is your description of a desktop compressor? You also don't need a tank if you buy a quality compressor such as a Badger 180. I have two of these that get used quite often, one I added a 2 gallon tank to and one without, they both perform exactly the same. The one thing to be sure of if your buying a small compressor like this, get one with an automatic shut-off.

You don't need a gravity feed, a decent siphon feed will work fine.

What is your description of a desktop compressor? You also don't need a tank if you buy a quality compressor such as a Badger 180. I have two of these that get used quite often, one I added a 2 gallon tank to and one without, they both perform exactly the same. The one thing to be sure of if your buying a small compressor like this, get one with an automatic shut-off.

Just from my experience gravity feed is much easier and fastet clean up than siphon feed. And you waste less paint. Well worth it in my opinion.

• Like 1

I have been building off and on since 1959.  My earlier attempts (the annual AMT years) were simply glue together and put on a shelf, no paint, no detail, no sanding.  Later in the mid 60's I did begin painting the exteriors (PLA $Testors spray cans), and it wasn't until the early 70's I began painting interiors and the engines.  I left the hobby in the mid 80's and didn't return until the early 90's. since then I have been more diligent in building.  However, I have found I attempt so many changes to the kit (engine wires, brake lines, etc.) I am no longer able to finish a build.  It seems I have reached the Peter Principle.  I tried a box-stock build, but stalled on it when I had paint problems.  I think what I need to do is to just set down with a simple snap kit or a 1-n-1 rather than a 2-n-1 or 3-n-1 and see if it is possible to build a model that I can be satisfied with, without trying to add stuff.  Maybe this response is irrelevant, but I believe some people (ME) may need to get back to the fundamentals in order to improve their (MY) model building.

I think what I need to do is to just set down with a simple snap kit or a 1-n-1 rather than a 2-n-1 or 3-n-1 and see if it is possible to build a model that I can be satisfied with, without trying to add stuff.  Maybe this response is irrelevant, but I believe some people (ME) may need to get back to the fundamentals in order to improve their (MY) model building.

That's an excellent plan. I just finished my third and fourth Revell '63 Corvette snappers (all different colors) and didn't paint any of them, just "blueprinted" and polished the nice kit plastic, and added paint details. I'm very pleased with how all four turned out, and had a buttload of fun building them. Their '34 Ford, '69 Camaro, '57 Chevy, and '70 Chevelle kits are also nice (though I haven't managed to finish any one of those yet). Grab something like that and go for it! B)

• 3 weeks later...

Mr Obssessive doesn't know it, but he is my mentor.  lol  His one statement that I have read countless other times is to finish each piece as it's own model.  Take the time to scrape, sand, fill, etc each piece before painting. And then work it some more if needed after paint.  and paint it again.  My biggest peeve is seams and parting lines.  These ruin so many otherwise awesome models.  What good is a flawless paint job if you missed that parting line running down the side of the body?  Or an intricate exhaust painted perfectly and has parting lines?  Or a transmission or oil pan with a seam that hasn't been cleaned up?  These are the basics that all the contest judges say they are looking for.  Not that I am a contest modeler.  I have won a trophy, but the bar wasn't too high.  And looking at those kits now, I see so many things I am better at now.  

Also, as someone else said, do your research if you want it to look real. Internet has mist every piece of every car for sale or photographed somewhere.  Find those details.  a 72 cutlass has a chrome strip between the upholstery and the plastic back of the seat.  Figure out how you can reproduce that.  It makes the difference.  Figure out how to paint that radio molding and those knows to look like the real deal.  And be willing to think out of the box.  Lately I figured if I foiled a section of woodgrain on a console or dash, then I can paint wood or color up to edge and leave a tiny line of chrome showing.  These are my obsessions - getting these things right.  I gave up wiring and detailing engines recently.  No one ever sees that part of my builds.  I do make them look as good as I can with what is given.  And add pieces if it's easy and FUN for Me.  

Soo make it the best you can.  And do it the way that keeps it fun.  IT's supposed to be a hobby for most of us.  

• Like 1

Mr Obssessive doesn't know it, but he is my mentor.  lol  His one statement that I have read countless other times is to finish each piece as it's own model.  Take the time to scrape, sand, fill, etc each piece before painting. And then work it some more if needed after paint.  and paint it again.  My biggest peeve is seams and parting lines.  These ruin so many otherwise awesome models.  What good is a flawless paint job if you missed that parting line running down the side of the body?  Or an intricate exhaust painted perfectly and has parting lines?  Or a transmission or oil pan with a seam that hasn't been cleaned up?  These are the basics that all the contest judges say they are looking for.  Not that I am a contest modeler.  I have won a trophy, but the bar wasn't too high.  And looking at those kits now, I see so many things I am better at now.  

Also, as someone else said, do your research if you want it to look real. Internet has mist every piece of every car for sale or photographed somewhere.  Find those details.  a 72 cutlass has a chrome strip between the upholstery and the plastic back of the seat.  Figure out how you can reproduce that.  It makes the difference.  Figure out how to paint that radio molding and those knows to look like the real deal.  And be willing to think out of the box.  Lately I figured if I foiled a section of woodgrain on a console or dash, then I can paint wood or color up to edge and leave a tiny line of chrome showing.  These are my obsessions - getting these things right.  I gave up wiring and detailing engines recently.  No one ever sees that part of my builds.  I do make them look as good as I can with what is given.  And add pieces if it's easy and FUN for Me.  

Soo make it the best you can.  And do it the way that keeps it fun.  IT's supposed to be a hobby for most of us.  

Preach It, Brother Randy! Can I get an AY-men from the choir? B)

Randy, after a long day at work, it was so nice to come home to see you've left such kind words! :)

I have to tell you that I learned this attitude of building back in the early '90's when I first laid eyes on Larry Booth's '57 T-Bird at the MAMA meeting. For those of you that remember, Larry's T-Bird was a VERY labor intensive effort in recreating practically everything about the car, right down to him perfectly reproducing the Burtex trunk mat in the car.

I was SO BLOWN AWAY by this model, that I knew that I wanted to follow in similar footsteps. Larry mentioned to me back then that he took each part of that car as if it were a kit in itself. The engine, the interior, the working steering, the opening doors and trunk with perfectly replicated hinges, the separate bits and pieces to the hardtop----all came together to make a super clean, almost seamless build. IIRC, this car won the GSL Championship, and had stormed its way through different shows winning practically everywhere it turned up.

So when I get in the super-detailing mood (such as my current Shelby build), I get into this mode of thinking quite intensively, especially because I want the car to have so many working features on it, and for everything to appear in scale as much as possible.

I understand not everyone wants to super-detail their models..........but this can apply to your basic out of the box builds as well. Basics trump everything! Cleaning up of parting lines (within reason---sometimes bumpers can't be done), sink marks, block sanding the body for proper paint coverage, clean glass fit, adjusting ride height---all go a long way from being just an average build to becoming a real head turner. ;)

I think I remember the T bird from the other magazine.  It may have been Larry that I originally read saying to treat each piece as it's own model.  And yes, I'm pretty much box stock now, and it especially applies I think. 

And yes, I'm pretty much box stock now, and it especially applies I think.

Yup. It's fun to build a completely (IPMS-legal) Out Of the Box model--especially a "snapper" or curbside--that will turn heads and shame kits with full detail. It CAN be done!

• 2 weeks later...

The topic post says the "secret to building a better model".  To me there are no secrets.  Just a bit of patience and experience will solve a good part of the answer.  Look at other people's work that is better than what you do.  Ask the builder about how he (or she; gotta be PC here!) did it.  See if that technique works for you.  Chances are though, that through time and experience you will develop your own techniques that do the trick.  There are a lot of things that have been said above, however that are a must if you want a model to be of contest winning caliber.  NO need to spell them out again.  

Bill Geary has the right idea.  Consider each part a model in and of itself and do it up right.  A little patience here will make the parts fit better and look better.

As some of you may know I'm a scratch builder.  As such I build models of things that interest me.  I never start a build with the idea that I am going to build a contest winner.  But I do set an occasional goal for myself to do something better that I may have done before.  I also make notes and sketches of techniques or particular details that worked and that I might want to use again.

Last and not least, master the basics of model building as have been pointed out here.  Every model, no matter how much time you have spend in building, should all have been built using the basics before anything else.    

I'm simply incapable of doing all the intricate detail work and superior execution that I see here. 

I gotta really disagree with part of this statement. Intricate detail work, that one I'll give you. BUT ....... superior execution is achievable for anyone. Follow Randy's advice below and you'll get there. The key is having the patience to do so. Clean building gets noticed and appreciated.

His one statement that I have read countless other times is to finish each piece as it's own model.  Take the time to scrape, sand, fill, etc each piece before painting. And then work it some more if needed after paint.  and paint it again.  My biggest peeve is seams and parting lines.  These ruin so many otherwise awesome models.  What good is a flawless paint job if you missed that parting line running down the side of the body?  Or an intricate exhaust painted perfectly and has parting lines?  Or a transmission or oil pan with a seam that hasn't been cleaned up?  These are the basics that all the contest judges say they are looking for.