Model Cars Magazine Forum

'67 GTX

restoman

Revell's '67 GTX.

It's going to be a Day 2 drag strip warrior. Headers, no exhaust, cool can, slicks, some window stickers, guages, maybe some ET times and class designation on the side glass, etc. Some wear detail on the Hemi... 

Thinking about maybe road wheels on the front and steelies with the slicks or maybe Cragars all around, or Cragars on the front and steelies out back. ?

It looks to be a pretty nicely proportioned kit. Should be fun. 

All the chrome was trashed so I used Alclad on everything... hopefully I don't rub it all off before I'm done. :)

GTX 1.jpg

GTX 2.jpg

GTX 3.jpg

GTX 4.jpg

GTX 5.jpg

GTX 6.jpg

Edited by restoman

Very cool, Mike!  This is an excellent kit! I have one built as a street legal drag car, but I probably would upset purists because I took out the floor shifter and replaced it with a steeringwheel mounted E-gear system. Cant wait to see yours done!!  I had the same problem with Alclad that you mentioned. Q: when you handel the Alclad parts during assembly, do you wear any kind of gloves? latex POWDER FREE gloves help a lot. Also, Have you heard of SPAZ STIX ULTRA MIRROR CHROME spray? its in a spray can. You use it just like Alclad, but I find it to be tougher than, and easier to spray. I use Tamiya gloss black under it. RC'rs like to use it too.

Edited by Dann Tier

• 2 weeks later...

Picking away at it.

My Hurst-shifted interior is done. Though it doesn't show well, the door panels are slightly darker than the seats and the upper dash panel is lighter than the dash pad, just to give it a little more realism. Bare Metal Foil over gold paint is an eye tester!

Gold embossing powder for the carpet.

Sorry for the crappy pics. My camera didn't want to focus, for some reason.

gtx 7.jpg

gtx 8.jpg

gtx 9.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Slow progress, but still progress...

Had a tough time getting the interior tub to fit nicely - the side glass and windshield added to much bulk, keeping the tub from fitting properly. Instead of pitching the whole thing against the wall in frustration, I put it aside for a week.

Popped the glass out, trimmed the bottom edges quite a bit and got things better... Then found the chassis is malformed a bit, requiring an added member to hold the rear in place while the front was clamped and glued into place.

Knocked the tach off of the dash while the clamping was going on... going to be tough getting it back into place. :(

The stance looks just about perfect to me. Just what a strip warrior should sit like.

67 gtx 1.jpg

67 gtx 2.jpg

67 gtx 3.jpg

67 gtx 4.jpg

67 gtx 5.jpg

• 2 weeks later...