Model Cars Magazine Forum

Build journal anyone?

All too many times , both Spectators and judges alike don't pay a bit of attention as to the extra information presented with an exhibit . I see too many models judged on the "Beauty " as opposed to good workmanship 

And the very best work can be overlooked since judges could assume its part of the kit.

Lately I've been logging my hours. It helps me get a handle on how much time I can expect to invest in projects of various complexity. Model building is one of those activities where time gets away from you and you probably spend more time on them than you think. Among other things, now I can look at my stash and realistically guess how many of them will actually get built within my lifetime.

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't even think about making notes or counting hours I just can't see the point in that .....each to their own of course.

That said I do take a handful of photos throughout the build process., and normally mark the date I completed the model inside the body.

Nope. I'm not writing a book. That's another piece of digital or physical clutter I don't need in my life. I'll take progress photos and post them here in a thread but thats as close as I get. If I kept some sort of journal on my builds I'd never, ever finish anything. I'm lazy when it comes to certain things. So if I can get something done as quick as possible, I'll do it. 

Although my real project cars do not reflect this quality in me. I've had an '88 Mustang in my garage for almost a decade. About a quarter of that time was spent on a rotisserie. I miss drag racing but I'm in no hurry apparently to finish my pile.

That said I do take a handful of photos throughout the build process., and normally mark the date I completed the model inside the body.

I don't do a journal or written notes but I do photograph everything along the way.  It does a few things for me. The photos show imperfections that I don't see on the workbench. Something about stepping back from the bench, you get too close to a subject to see the errors.  Also, the photos are often larger than the model which helps see what I need to improve or fix.  Lastly, I share the progress on the message boards and that keeps me motivated and moving on a project once people are watching.  Also, folks will point out things I don't see or things I don't know about the subject.  I can't tell you how many times my models have been improved through this process!

• 2 weeks later...

It's called my Built Notes Binder and includes much the same types of info that others have listed. Having always had an interest in history I also include a history section which might include a history of the kit, history of the unit or the real a/c/car/etc that I've built.   If I've done a "what if, diorama or fantasy" model I might also write and include a back story.

At the same time as I'm doing my build notes I've created a couple of photo albums using pages designed for 4x6 inch photos. Each page has one 4x6 slot for a brief history and notes and three slots for photos of the finished kit. Over the years I've given away models, had some damaged or put in storage so these photo albums are a convienent way for me to look at the models I've built over the years even if I no longer have them.

I don't keep any build records or anything like that. For me, this is a hobby, a stress reliever. If I have to run a stop watch and log the time and record everything I do it turns into more of a job than a hobby. I've had this other hobby restoring antique motorcycle for the last zillion years. Now I keep records, photos and time sheets for everything I do including cataloging and inventorying the parts . It's now turned into a job. I do keep the instructions for every kit I build. I can go through that pile and show you what I've built, but that's about it. Ken

I do and I don't. My finished models are done and I don't keep build notes on them. Sometimes I think I should thou and could see the value in it but having close to 200 finished builds on my shelves my notes would take a while to look through. Most of my builds jog my memory of what I did and some products used.

I do keep worksheets of my inventory of unbuilt kits in my stash. What my plans are if any or I'll list it as a "donor" for parts or resin kit. I'll list it as "spare" if I have no plans. I will also put simple notes like that on the boxes also. Build detail notes will go in the box as well as any parts I still need for that project are also marked on the outside of the box.

I have another worksheet for my stash of resin parts and also rebuild projects. I also have a worksheet of parts I know I need for projects that I update regularly for trades and stuff. My last sheet has my started projects with the year I started them and what the finished project plan is. I put that info also on the box and what parts I need or if it's waiting on chrome or whatever. 

I have to a point.  After reading some of the posts here I think that's all going to change. It seems that it's a lot more work trying to remember what I did with this piece , what I did with that part, what color did I use and  the Xtra time it's taken To get everything figured out again. I believe that a written journal would solve a lot of wasted time for me and give me more time at the hobby bench. I can and will only speak for myself and I would rather be building and enjoying my building time instead of wasting my time looking for stuff and trying to remember what color, what decals and so on. For me a journal of my projects is a Great idea.   Thank you.         Jeff 

I keep a log book for my nascar builds, I find it helps to keep track of what I need for donor kits. I keep them

categorized according to make and year group(i.e. '95-99 chevy).

I write down the year, car#, sponsor and then i have columns that I check off when i have the

donor kit i need. And then when the build is done i highlight the entry in yellow so that way i know

not to count that one anymore. As for my street cars and trucks i don't keep any records of any sort, its a

hobby for me so therefore its irrelevant to me as to how much i paid for it, how long it took to complete it and so on.