Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Brush Truck Started

This may not seem like much but there are many pieces that went into each front hub assembly.  There is the hub itself with a brass tubing insert that acts as a bushing.  I filled the inside with some two part resin to sturdy it up.  The center of the original mounting had to be drilled out to accept the tubing and otherwise would have left it very weak.  In addition there is the main internal hub assembly that acts as the pivot point for turning the front wheels.  The brass pieces in the center go together and fit inside the white plastic tubing just to the right of center in the photo.  The other one is fully assembled and is on the long brass axle insert.  In front is the tie rod that attaches to the arms on each hub assembly.  The small screws and washers fit inside each hub and hold it on the brass axle of the assembly.  Two pieces that do not show here are the guards that fit on the front of the hub assembly.  On the real truck they help to deflect debris away from the hub where there is a rubber boot to keep out dirt and mud.  (I tried but I'm not adding the rubber boots!)

1%20038_zpsst1pcxvy.jpg

Edited by Chariots of Fire
Added information

Wow!  Once you get that cab and chassis made you ought to consider making some for sale. A 1/25th M series would be a huge item. The same cab can be used for the 35 series, 2 1/2T; the 52 series, 5T; and the 123 series, 10T.    Different chassis, power units, fenders and hoods, and running gear would fill a HUGE hole in the 1/25th scene!  Just sayin'!

Those trucks fill a great need in brush trucks in New England. We built several trucks for our department back when I was chief. We built a tanker on a 5T tractor, and had two brush trucks on 2 1/2T chassis. Awesome machines. Having used these, and worked on them, I can say that your work is spot on! Unreal!!!!

Wow!  Once you get that cab and chassis made you ought to consider making some for sale. A 1/25th M series would be a huge item. The same cab can be used for the 35 series, 2 1/2T; the 52 series, 5T; and the 123 series, 10T.    Different chassis, power units, fenders and hoods, and running gear would fill a HUGE hole in the 1/25th scene!  Just sayin'!

Those trucks fill a great need in brush trucks in New England. We built several trucks for our department back when I was chief. We built a tanker on a 5T tractor, and had two brush trucks on 2 1/2T chassis. Awesome machines. Having used these, and worked on them, I can say that your work is spot on! Unreal!!!!

Tom:  You familiar with a company called V-Tech?  Think they are in Brattleboro.  They have built a lot of brush rigs for towns in our area.  They took over where Farrar and E. J. Murphy and Maxim left off.

Yes sir! I have seen several rigs built by them. The State of MA Forestry Division has a 2 1/2T tanker that had a nice breaker cage built on it. I ended up painting that truck for them about 15 years ago. It is still in use, to my knowledge, in Hampshire County. I would KILL to get a M Series truck in 1/25th!

Too bad there isn't a decent kit out there as well.  There is a Czeck company, I believe who did a CCKW in 1/25 scale but it predates the M series by a lot.  I don't think it would even come close.  The resin parts in some cases were very brittle.  A friend built one a while back and had some issues with it.  Ultimately it came out ok but not without a lot of tinkering.  1/35 scale seems to be where it's at.  Wish I had a plastic enlarging machine!:rolleyes:

Too bad there isn't a decent kit out there as well.  There is a Czeck company, I believe who did a CCKW in 1/25 scale but it predates the M series by a lot.  I don't think it would even come close.  The resin parts in some cases were very brittle.  A friend built one a while back and had some issues with it.  Ultimately it came out ok but not without a lot of tinkering.  1/35 scale seems to be where it's at.  Wish I had a plastic enlarging machine!:rolleyes:

Well, from the looks of a LOT of the builds around here, just borrow the SHRINKING machine they use and run it in  reverse! Seriously, a 1/25th M series, IMHO, would sell like hotcakes. I have a few 1/32 and 1/35 kits and resins, but only build outside 1/25th because there is no choice when it comes to SOME subjects. I have a couple Tank Workshop M123 resin kits that are awesome, require LOTS of work, and I only WISH they were 1/25th!

There's not much chance of making duplicates of the rig I've started.  Lots of hours in it already and the engine, drivetrain, cab, front end, winch, body, brush bars and pump are still to go!

The cab is not hard to scratch build.  The biggest problem is going to be getting the hood right.  The M series hood has two reverse curve sections at the front corners o they have to be figured out.  The rest is basically square pieces to make up the fenders, doors, windshield and cab sides and back.  Best way to do that is make up a drawing to scale and use it as a template for the various pieces to be glued up. 

Ahh, winter weather and retirement!  Go together pretty well when there's a model to be built!  Got some more done on the M-52 in the last day or so.  Decided to get away from the frame for a while and tackle something else.  Figured the hood was a good place to start seeing as I had the dimensions and some good photos.

So here we are with several components.  I started out with a block of extruded plastic that is used for planks and decking.  The plain block in the middle left is the overall shape of the hood.  To the right is a similar block after it was sanded to shape and cleaned up.  This stuff sands beautifully and is very easy to carve.  To the right of that is my attempt at using the carved hood as a buck to shape a hood from brass.  Not too good....:(!  So I moved on to option B and that was to take the buck and make a two piece mold.  That is what those bright blue things are at the top of the photo.  I hollowed out the plastic master so that it is about 1/16" thick overall.  The top surface was molded first and then the mold box was turned over and the underside of the hood was molded next.  Using the new mold, I was able to cast a two part resin hood and that is what you see in the bottom of the photo.  I did two so you can see the top and underside as well.  I primed the one on the left so I could see the imperfections and smooth them up.  All in all a successful venture.

1 051.jpg

Edited by Chariots of Fire

Doing a little bit every day lately seems to yield results.  Worked on the front fenders yesterday and today.  The back of the fenders as you can see are bobbed.  That is because the rig I am building had them cut off and heavy steel side panels took their place.  Lots of tinkering to get them right and close to the measurements I took of the real thing.  Next is to make up the radiator and shroud and begin the engine.

1_066.thumb.jpg.846d599c80007e98bc6c9ae61_064.thumb.jpg.c890d214c07b47f60ad78a3b1_065.thumb.jpg.ddd2870fc9940ad83559ee52

Superb! Simply superb. The stance is perfect! Looks like a brass version of the M52 we took totally apart and put back together with a 2800 gallon tank on her back. Ours had Mack power. It spent a couple months in my shop where we added square dump valves, pump storage, side dumps, remotes, and it was the best truck we had. Until a subsequent chief 20 years later decided that our rural department, (with only waterholes for water supply), didn't need tankers any more. Brilliant move..........!!!   Keep the pics coming!

Edited by redneckrigger

Make some more progress and began work in the Continental R6602 engine yesterday.  I have plenty of info on the left side but limited information for the right side.  If anyone has a good right side photo I sure would love to see it.  In the meantime here is what we have so far.  that is the transfer case to the right.  The one I first had ended up being way to big so I cast a copy of the one that is in the Revell 1/32 scale wrecker kit and added some detail for the parking brake.

1_070.thumb.jpg.f9fbc9563285bc321c887595