Model Cars Magazine Forum

60 Bonneville

fseva

Great job on this one Frank. The twin antennae are perfect.

Actually, the original antennas had to be removed because I broke one and decided to replace both, with a very fine diameter wire that I had in my tool drawer (I think I had been using it to stop up glue bottles with tiny needles).

Wow!  For all the terrible things I've heard about this kit that looks outstanding.  Great work.

Well, some of the terrible things don't show up in the final photos... like the front suspension which was supposed to be steerable, which I could not get to work... even with everything in place and ready to go... the steering linkage was too short, and instead of it allowing free left-right movement, it locked up the steering with the wheels toed-in; then, there is the windshield that did not fit quite right in the frame - I did a lot of cutting and fitting to get it to look this good, and even then, there are noticeable gaps at the bottom next to the frame; and last but not least, a trunk lid that was supposed to be hinged, but I had no idea how to glue the small caps over the hinges and onto the frame without gluing them together... I left the trunk lid as the hood (removable if I wanted to display what was in there. I did not attempt to build the PE front hinges, either).

I will say though, that this was my second build - with about 4 years worth of experience under my belt, it went much easier this time.

Edited by fseva

I'm thinking that this kit could have been so much better if Trumpeter had not tried to be so ambitious... not only did they try for steerable front wheels, but also a hinged trunk, both of which were so fiddly, I could not get them to work. They could easily have provided posable front tires/wheels (which would have worked for me right up until I broke a post by pressing down too hard on the front end). And with the extra cash, they could have added decals for the emblems... or improved the trunk lid hinging. And they surely should have chromed some of the raw plastic - like the rear view mirrors, wipers, etc.

Looks great Frank!

Just a warning to anyone who may be tempted to buy the hardtop version of this kit.......Don't waste your money!

That's where most of the criticism of this kit comes from. 

The proportions of the roof are way out of wack!

From the looks of yours Frank, I really wish I would have bought the convertible years ago when I bought my hardtop.

Nice work!

Steve

Looks great Frank!

Just a warning to anyone who may be tempted to buy the hardtop version of this kit.......Don't waste your money!

That's where most of the criticism of this kit comes from. 

The proportions of the roof are way out of wack!

From the looks of yours Frank, I really wish I would have bought the convertible years ago when I bought my hardtop.

Thanks, Steve! I was able to get this one for $22 on eBay! So, you might still be able to get one really cheap.

Thanks, Steve! I was able to get this one for $22 on eBay! So, you might still be able to get one really cheap.

All I would really need to find is the appropriate convertible parts, ie. the body, top boot, etc.

I have an original annual to build a hardtop with.

I need to do that soon.

The '60 Bonneville has been one of my favorite cars since the first time I saw one when I was just a kid.

The bright red on yours really makes it stand out!

Surprisingly, bright red was not an available color in the '60 Pontiac lineup.

Unfortunate, as it sure looks great in that color.

I've labored over a color choice for mine when I build it.

I really don't care for many of the '60 Pontiac colors.......maybe copper would look nice.

Steve

All I would really need to find is the appropriate convertible parts, ie. the body, top boot, etc.

I have an original annual to build a hardtop with.

I need to do that soon.

The '60 Bonneville has been one of my favorite cars since the first time I saw one when I was just a kid.

The bright red on yours really makes it stand out!

Surprisingly, bright red was not an available color in the '60 Pontiac lineup.

Unfortunate, as it sure looks great in that color.

I really don't care for many of the '60 Pontiac colors.......maybe copper would look nice.

Steve

Steve,

I have an extra AMT 1960 Bonneville convertible builtup

Just say the word and its yours. I havnt forgot , I owe you BIGTIME

I know what you mean - I also gave it a lot of consideration... was almost going to decide on Iris Mist, but then I realized how long I would have to wait for a paint order to be delivered; I gave up that notion and just went with what I had on hand.

Steve,

I have an extra AMT 1960 Bonneville convertible builtup

Just say the word and its yours. I havnt forgot , I owe you BIGTIME

Thanks Bill, but my guess is you're talking about an old annual?

I was just making the point with Frank that the Trumpeter hardtop kit was so bad, yet the convertible looks good, & if I were to build the Trumpeter kit, A body swap would probably be in order.

I have an annual '60 Bonneville hardtop that I hope to build in the future.

I wouldn't want to deprive you of one of your beloved convertibles for no reason.:D

Steve