Model Cars Magazine Forum

'81 Plymouth Reliant ... My daughter's First Car 8/31/17 Fotki move

Foxer

This is my daughter's first car, a gift from my Aunt when it was 12 years old. This is a period not too long in her ownership as when It was retired, it was completely covered inside with writing by her friends. I estimate it took the mechanics where she sold it 3 days to read everything! :o

This is a Motormax diecast and is an '83, but it was close enough as the only thing even close. The grill is the biggest difference. The paint is Light Seaspray Green Metallic. I did a lot of detail painting and decals from photos of the real car. I sanded off the passenger door trim and drilled the mounting holes.  There is a WIP here if you'd like more information.

This is one of the few photos I have of the original .. with my daughter perched on top.

Renee on Reliant

81 Reliant final DSC 1889

81 Reliant final DSC 1888

81 Reliant final DSC 1887

81 Reliant final DSC 1885

81 Reliant final DSC 1884

81 Reliant final DSC 1883

81 Reliant final Interior DSC 1880

Reliant Mockup DSC 1879

Reliant wrapped  DSC9930

Edited by Foxer

Looks great Mike!  I just love nostalgic builds that have meaning to the builder!   Is this finished up as a Christmas gift to your daughter?  Does she know about it?

eheh .. yes .. I made it for this XMass. She knows I went back on it so maybe won't be a big surprise. She hasn't seen it since it was painted, though, so will be good.

One thing I forgot to mention. I'm giving her some thin Sharpies so she and her friends can write all over it as the real one was. This made the die cast the perfect solution as it's pretty rugged to take all the handling it'll get. :)  It also kept the build easier as I didn't want things breaking off.

Edited by Foxer

Absolutely awesome Foxer. I just love it bumper stickers and all. What a great, great, great job you did on duplicating your daughters car. I've been looking at some diecast and I am amazed at how much their is as far as 70's and early 80ies  vehicles. I'm mainly referring to 1/24-1/25 size too. Definitely can fill a few gaps that styrene cannot. Hmmm, I'm starting to get a couple of ideas . Thanks Foxer for showing us the finished car, you definitely scored a home run with it and your daughter must be very happy because I know that I would be If it were me.       Thanks.          Jeff 

Absolutely awesome Foxer. I just love it bumper stickers and all. What a great, great, great job you did on duplicating your daughters car. I've been looking at some diecast and I am amazed at how much their is as far as 70's and early 80ies  vehicles. I'm mainly referring to 1/24-1/25 size too. Definitely can fill a few gaps that styrene cannot. Hmmm, I'm starting to get a couple of ideas . Thanks Foxer for showing us the finished car, you definitely scored a home run with it and your daughter must be very happy because I know that I would be If it were me.     

Thanks, Jeff ... she did really like it. She even refused to let anyone write all over it as I had planned so it looked like the real one.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...