Model Cars Magazine Forum

While On The Road...What Are These?

Hi guys,

I've been wondering about communication while on the road.  Don't laugh now....is CB still being used?

Another thing I've wondered about is the number of state plates shown on trucks.  One for each state you travel through?  How did it used to be, and what's the deal nowadays.

The reason I wonder about CB is, while fishing offshore from Florida, I used to get a kick (plus sometimes it aggravated the (expletive) out of me to hear the nonsense some dudes were chattering).  Like, talking with mamma (wife) and talking about which taters to cook up when the dud comes home with a bunch of fish.  Do you hear nowadays?

Thanks, Michael

Edited by 10thumbs

The CB is dying. Some companies, as like mine, need them to communicate with scale operators, loaders and other trucks while at the plant to pick up or deliver. But, on the highway, the cell phone has pretty much killed the CB. I'm a die hard, trucker to the core. I have 4 hopped up Cobra 29s, one of which is a special edition Harley Davidson radio. I also have a fairly price Magnum S6 with a 120 watt tune on it. I also bought from an ol boy in town, late 80s, solid silver Wilson 2000 antennas, and a mid 90s Astatic mic, made Conne Aut, Oh. Those who know, know that's kind of a big deal. 

Usually, the plates on a truck or trailer now are only for where it is registered. There are permit stickers that trucks need now for certain states, New York comes to mind right away. There are more. But as far as plates, there's only the one now, except for internationally registered, I've seen Mexican plates and US plates on some trucks here.

Thanks Clayton.  I understand about the array of tuners you have installed, this without knowing what they do.  I get you wavelength though.

How then, or if at all, would truckers warn of something down the road a piece if CB may be not as common? 

They dont. It's a sad thing to see happening. There was a big,serious accident last winter where the snow was bad, very low visibility, and trucks and cars traveling to fast. It was crazy to watch the videos of trucks/cars slamming into the backs of stopped vehicles. Some disagree with me, but I think if every truck on that highway had a CB and had the BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH THING ON, that pile up wouldn't have been as bad.

That's the other problem, some guys have CBS, and don't turn them on.

Ha!  I just read that only 4 watts is allowed!  The Harley piece looks good though. Clayton, do have the parts hidden?

On the Cobras, it's all internal. Basically just going in and adjusting things. The Cobras are tuned to 55 to 60 watts. The Magnum, has a 4 inch wide, 2 inch thick, heat sync off the back. It's not real obvious when it's in the bracket mounted to the over head console. There are linears that are big boxes that are very obvious. Those put out lots of power. I have a small Galaxy 80 kicker that's small and can be hidden. But it only works on bone stock 4 watt radios. I've heard of linears that put out 5000 watts. My question to that is, WHY? Those guys go by, bleeding over onto every channel so nobody can talk, no matter what channel.

Edited by Petetrucker07

Well I thought you guys were in contact with others in your area, or at least listening.  For the same reasons you just posted, but also to break the monotony of a long drive.

I know offshore a radio should be mandatory, but lots don't have one, or didn't.  No idea how it is now.

Here in Europe there are pileups too, really nasty stuff.  The Autobahns are very crowded and lots of speeding, causing accidents.  Weather changes too are hazardous.

I'm really surprised to understand the radio is not interesting anymore. 

This brings me slowly to a topic that I've thought about too. 

Where I live, when a mobile radar is set up on some road, the drivers that pass blink their lights to the folks coming up to the screening to show it's better to slow down.  I kind of figured truckers did the same over CB. 

What's done nowadays?

Some flash their lights, there are a few, me included, that'll give an unsolicited bear report. But it's amazing how many say nothing, do anything. Of course it doesn't help, that in my opinion, the truck stop is dead! They are all travel centers that cater to the 4 wheelers. Case in point, the TA at mile marker 103 in Tonopah Az. The fuel island has VERY limited amenities. The men's room, at the fuel island, has 1 toilet and 1 pisser. A nasty, microwaved deli case and it's not very big at all. Barely enough room to move if there's more than 6 drivers in there. Now, go to the main building. It has the big restaurant, large restrooms, showers, Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, and the electronics, TVs, CBs, Stereos, Satellite and CB accessories. No drivers lounge. Somewhere I think it might have a laundry. That's basically the scene at most of the fuel stops out my way. It's very sad. There's no where for drivers to sit, relax, hangout with one another. Then all these big companies (fill in whatever company you like) spitting out steering wheel holders like an assembly line. The comradery out here is almost gone.

Oh boy, I got on that soap box again. I better stop before someone gets offended.

Sounds like things have changed. 

I remember as a kid, with the family from Florida to Ohio on Lake Erie.  Every summer.   I usually spent 6 weeks up north.  I loved the 2nd day of the trip going up, mountains, then for lunch on the Pennsylvania Turnpike.  No Interstates otherwise back then.  The Truck Stops were everywhere.  Checking out the big rigs, and sitting at the counter or a booth for a good hamburger.  This was like 1960 or so.  I can still see it as I write.  The truckers were always together at tables drinking lots of coffee.  Lots of them had bring along bags within their reach.

Here in Germany, the "stops" have gotten better quality and cleanliness in the last years, but no where do you see truckers, just the rigs parked.  The joints are utterly expensive and the food is not good.  Italy has great food at their Truck Stops.

What's up with these trucks.  These are from Hanks Truck Pictures, the Trans Canada Highway.

#1, flaps in front of the steers?

...front_flaps_a.thumb.jpg.b2ffff6650ba9

#2, what kind of drive setup is this one?

...drive_setup_a.thumb.jpg.dc7658277d763

#3,  tandem trailers.  Allowed in the US too?

...tandem_a.thumb.jpg.2da9018efe17329489

Thanks guys.  Merry Christmas.

Clayton you sure are right about the CB. Back in the day us 4 wheelers were told if the trucks are slowing down so should you. It is becoming a strange world out there. 

Here at the MI & OH line trucks were trying to slow people slow people down because of a radar sting and a radio station was warning people of the spot. Now get this State police called the station and told them if they kept reporting the said location they would charged  and they pulled over the trucks and  charged/ticketed  them. 

The truck I drive for work has flaps in front of the steer tires, but not as big as the ones you have pictured. they help with rocks that are thrown off the steer tires. The tires on my truck have an open tread design and will easily flip a rock that is 3/4" diameter. At freeway speed those rocks can bounce out in front of you,if one hits just right and goes up in the air...you can hit them and pit or crack the windshield. In the pic you can see them behind the bumper........wish they were much larger

Edited by rctruk
pics

Thanks Rich.  I don't know exactly why I figured two trailers were not allowed, maybe because I haven't seen any models showing them.

I'm sure having fun though learning more about trucks.  I can't wait to get started with a new project.

I think the reason you don't see many models of them has to do with shelf space, for your research you could also Google the A-train, Rocky Mountain doubles and turnpike doubles

Good info, thanks guys!

Thanks Jeff, that makes sense.  About 2 yrs. ago while traveling about 60mph, something hit my car from the left front, ripped the outside mirror off!  What a thunk!  Scared the wits out of me, the noise was really loud.  Then I thought to be real lucky, that projectile through the windshield may have caused some serious harm to the wife and me.

I thought similar to the CB post above, when several trucks following each other at exactly the speed limit, better not pass them.  I did once.  State Trooper was leading the line and I was told I blew her doors in, how fast?  I got a warning too.  Turned out we went to grade school together.  I remembered her name!

Rich, the shelf problem is a valid reason for sure.

Hello Michael.   I too still use the cb  when I'm in my big truck, like clayton said it's mostly to communicate with the asphalt plants or the loaders  down in the quarries or if I'm on the lowbed to find out where they want their machines. as far as finding out where the troopers are. well the CDL put an end to my  hammer down days.  and the last 17 years I've been getting paid by the hour so when I'm in the big truck I'm not looking to go very fast anyways LOL!   but back in the day when I was traveling in my 4 wheeler or on the 2 wheeler. I would always try to run with the greyhound stagecoaches. they were always hammer down and always seemed to know where the speed traps were..   I still always get the mile marker #  where the picture taker or the speed trap is so I could warn others. I do miss the cool handles we had and the crazy cb lingo we used.

How bout ya east bound, anyone got it on come on.

Go ahead west bound..

What'd you leave behind ya..

Got a couple full growns at the 102 yard stick takin pictures and a evil kneivel in the middle lookin at ya. 

10-4. You look good back to the bottom of hill.

Edited by Petetrucker07