Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '55 Chevy Chrome Question

I am working on the Revell Good-guys '55 Chevy. This is the later version without the opening doors and trunk; NOT the older one that came out in the 60's and was re-released throughout the 70's and 80's. The quarter panel chrome trim is separate from the body and must be glued on. The chrome trim that runs down the front fender is molded to the body and must be Bare Metaled after paint. My question is will Bare Metal foil on the front fender trim match the Revell quarter panel chrome trim as far as "shininess"? Or, would I be better off stripping the chrome off of the quarter panel trim, gluing it to the body prior to paint, and then bare-metaling it after paint for an exact match?

My experience with Bare Metal Foil is that the "New and Improved" would look very close. Since it's not right up against the kit's chrome I don't think you would notice any difference. If you have some foil you might try some on a scrape and hold it next to the side molding and see what you think.  

If you do the foil correctly, you'll barely be able to tell the difference.

Not only does the front trim piece need foiling, but all the window trim.

The Revell '58 Impala is the same way.

All of the body trim is plated, but the window trim, & in this example, all of the trim on the skirts, require foil.

It's really not a problem.

Steve

photo outside shots 031_zpswnbzngfx.jpg photo outside shots 033_zpsgkactaqa.jpg photo 58 resize_zpsuwgtctnq.jpg