Model Cars Magazine Forum

POCHER F70 FIAT UPDATE 1/14 ALMOST Done

Hello Group;

I started this project in late summer. I just realized today to post the project. So this is the project up to date.

All red parts where airbrushed using Testors primer and flat red cut with 1 part paint 2 parts lacquer thinner.

All the other parts where shot with AlcadII.

I tried to replace as many of the screws with brass nuts and or bolts.  The molded in bolts and studs for the wheels and trans where all removed and replaced with brass.

The floor boards and dash have molded in simulated wood. They where sanded down about  1/32 in. then planks where cut to fit and stained with a Minwax stain maker. The veneer is oak with an adhesive backing The out side edges for the floor and dash panel had the plastic rivets sanded off and replaced with brass and nickel rivets.

I was too far into the project and did not replace the molded in bolts on the engine. I used a extra fine point paint maker.

I added a wire loom for the plug wires and had it welded by a local jeweler maker for $10.00. The tape used for the hose clamps and being replaced with the PE clamps from Model Motor Cars.

The radiator has a black bolt and nut the just doesn’t look good. I had to replace the black screw from the kit, due to the problem of no slot head in one screw with brass. Looks ok but I used a brass washer and bolt. Cut the head  flush with the washer it seems to fit and cove r the screw.

The screen on the carb came from the wire screen of a faucet arreator.

The kit does not supply the lines for the left side of engine so I added lines just to give it a more complete look. The bracket was made using a female end of a spade connector and a brass bolt.

The chain is assembled link by link. I as short 6 brass rivets and waiting for a source to sent out more rivets that will need a little modification.

Any comments or suggestions area always welcome. More to come as work goes forward.

Thanks

Randy.IMG_0080.thumb.JPG.fe0b13690ae9cb468396cIMG_0080.thumb.JPG.fe0b13690ae9cb468396cIMG_0067.thumb.JPG.165735e7a910882023f91

IMG_0062.JPG

IMG_0061.JPG

IMG_0060.JPG

IMG_0064.JPG

IMG_0063.JPG

IMG_0065.JPG

IMG_0070.JPG

IMG_0071.JPG

IMG_0072.JPG

IMG_0073.JPG

IMG_0074.JPG

IMG_0075.JPG

IMG_0076.JPG

IMG_0077.JPG

IMG_0078.JPG

IMG_0079.JPG

IMG_0081.JPG

IMG_0082.JPG

IMG_0083.JPG

Edited by crb1024
UPDATE

BTW... the kit is missing the water pump. If you want to be accurate you'll have to scratchbuild it. I remember doing a rather exhaustive google search when I built my Fiat... visual references were very hard to come by, but eventually I found enough to be able to scratchbuild a reasonable recreation of the pump.

Could you tell me where you sourced the brass nuts and bolts ?. I've got a K77 here I'll be starting  soon.

The Paul Koo DVD for the Fiat is well worth the price of admission as a reference tool.

Either Scale Hardware or Walthers has what you need Ron. I use both.

Randy your Fiat is very well done and welcomed here. There's a small band of we Pocher Crazies and a wealth of experience.

Love the subdued paint - perfect for the old timey look. The  chain, detailing and patience are excellent. In all a great start and looking forward to a great build.

Source for all things Pocher..

Model Motor Cars

Marvin is  the source for all good things Pocher.  Nuts bolts etc.

http://www.modelmotorcars.com/

Paul Koos

You can find his DVD’s for Pocher building on ebay.  To me they are a must have. He has put a ton of time and effort to make it well worth the price

American Model Engineering Supply.

http://www.americanmodeleng.com/index.html

Macc Models UK

Found them on ebay as a source for my missing chain rivets and other fittings

https://maccmodels.co.uk/

Hi Harry;

We should meet some time. I'm in Bartllet. and we both know Big Joe. I have admired your work and try to come close to your level of work

Randy

Wow, that's quite a compliment. Thank you.

Yep, we're practically neighbors. Well, adjoining suburbs at least! :D

Made some progress since last post

Test fit steering wheel and column.

Mounted engine to frame using brass bolts.

Hood- You can see the difference in color between the hood and rest of the frame. The screws from the kit are a pan head and would not allow the hood to close. Reamed out the hinge to fit a flat head counter sink screw. Problem solved.

Gas line- The line from the kit was why to short so I fabricated my own line to the engine.

Made one of the side curtains.

The big set back was missing rivets to complete the chain (4 missing). Found a source in England. They arrived today. Why to long but fit perfect once cut down. Chain is done and ready for mounting.

Comments or suggestion are always welcome.

Randy

IMG_0013.JPG

IMG_0014.JPG

IMG_0015.JPG

IMG_0016.JPG

IMG_0017.JPG

IMG_0018.JPG

IMG_0019.JPG

IMG_0020.JPG

Made some progress

Radiator   Used Alcad II  Brass and Satin Seal. Test fit to frame.

Gears   Cut the plastic pins. Drilled out the stud and used a brass rivet and washer

Chains  Completed the chain for the passenger side. Got the 5/64 rivets cut the length to fit.

I’m sure this is old news. I have been using commercial floor finish remover for a paint stripper. Zepp at Lowe’s or HD about $10.00 a gallon.

It works well on all paints. A little longer on lacquer.  I use it full strength, but it could be cut with hot water.  It is ammonia free.  The pics show the end results. It has not weakened the plastic or etched it.

As always comments or suggestion welcome.

Randy

IMG_0019.JPG

IMG_0020.JPG

IMG_0021.JPG

IMG_0022.JPG

IMG_0023.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Made some major progress not much left to go.

For the rear wheels went back and added a brass washer for each lug.

Many of the pics I have seen show the springs wrapped in rope, so I went over to Hobby Lobby and found some cord that was close to scale and wrapped all four springs.

The axel and front end went together without any major problems.

For the radiator I taped off the core and airbrushed with Alcad brass.  I did not like the look of the black screw to secure the radiator to the frame. I reamed out the frame opening and the screw head went in a little deeper. I than took a brass washer and bolt.

I trimmed the bolt head flush with the washer and used it as a cover for the screw.

The steering system works wheel.

I got the rivets from a supplier and finished the other chain.

Thanks for looking comments or suggestion are welcome.

Next update will be the complete model.

IMG_0014.JPG

IMG_0013.JPG

IMG_0012.JPG

IMG_0015.JPG

IMG_0016.JPG

IMG_0017.JPG

IMG_0018.JPG

IMG_0019.JPG

Beautiful details, meticulous assembly Randy. 

The Alclad brass is outstanding. Did you buff the finish when dry or is that right out of the gun? Amazing reflective quality.

A tiny nit; I might tone-down the VERY bright white spring wraps. They might be a light tan or khaki from the grease within. Unless your building a concours restored car. :)

Thanks for the comments. Alcad was airbrushed no buffing, but out side band and  top section in front is the brass from the kit. You can see the spray booth in one of the pics.

The white cord looks brighter than what it is . It toned it tone it done with some pastel chalk. Hard to see in the pic.

Did you read my earlier post about floor finish stripper for removing paint. It really works Great.

Thanks for the comments. Alcad was airbrushed no buffing, but out side band and  top section in front is the brass from the kit. You can see the spray booth in one of the pics.

The white cord looks brighter than what it is . It toned it tone it done with some pastel chalk. Hard to see in the pic.

Did you read my earlier post about floor finish stripper for removing paint. It really works Great.

Great idea and tip. Read the whole thread. Hate to nitpic  a perfect model and glad it's just the way it photographs. Yes, I know from mine that photos bring out surprising and somewhat untrue finishes. Bet yours looks a treat in person. Get a nice case for it...

• 1 month later...