Model Cars Magazine Forum

"The Car"

Rdkingjay

Grabbed this from ebay a couple of years ago and while the rarity of these things has jacked the price, I was very disappointed in the final finish of the model. It came with its original box and base, but I wanted to display it,  so I completely disassembled it, sanded, then re-cleared it. I followed that up by a three stage polish process. While the car was in pieces, I decided to light the headlights and give the interior a red glow that one of the real movie cars had in a scene of the original movie. Which coincidentally, is also one of the few scenes in the movie, that the car has a very clean glossy finish. Hope you enjoy it. Merry Christmas.

IMG_3186.JPG

IMG_3187.JPG

IMG_3188.JPG

IMG_1225.JPG

IMG_1228.JPG

• Like 2

Yes Lance, i believe your right, satin black or at least filthy enough from all the dust and dirt roads to appear satin.  There was one scene however, when the town Sheriff found the car in his garage and it appeared to be very shiny. This was also the scene when the mysterious red glow can be seen in the interior.

• 7 years later...

Not that I think this is a current topic but I had some experience with this. The car was originally very glossy but it reflected the camera equipment as it would pass by. So it was taken to a body shop in St George Utah where it was buffed down to diminish the reflective qualities. I know this because I went to the body shop and sat in the car until the movie crew were heading up and I had to sneak out. The body shop was located at 1000 East St George boulevard. Some of my friends were extras in the movie but I was not.

• Like 1