Model Cars Magazine Forum

Paint help

Yes - I'd like you to change your mind on "enamels", because you may not like the stink... lacquers smell much less offensive, and you can thin them with impunity and you'll still get great coverage.

which beand of lacquer do you use? Are they in spray cans or made specifically for airbrushing? 

Edited by 1hobby1

Gave the craft acrylics with future a shot today on my upcoming project, sprayed right on to the body and here are my results. Came out much better than expected, not sure if I want to clear it with some more future for a super glossy shine. But this does work. Not sure how long it will last or if I will switch to craft acrylics only, but this is a good way to get a nice paint job. Unfortunately my compressor decided to stop working properly today so I will be searching for a new one. Any suggestions? 

I'm still very interested in spraying enamels 50:50 with lacquer thinner and what to use to clear them? Mainly because I have a ton of the small testors enamels and do not want them to go to waste. I have also seen some amazing results with them. 

Feel free to add comments for advice! 

image.jpeg

Edited by 1hobby1

Steve, your paint came out nice and smooth this go round! B)

One suggestion though if I may........you really want to make sure your parting/mold lines are gone, particularly across a visible area such as in your roofline. 

If you're going to put a clear over that type of paint, it wouldn't hurt to test it on something to see if it'll be compatible. Even clears among like kinds may not always play nice with certain colors or brands. 

As far as compressors, I don't really have much to say on that one as I've been using this dual tank one for over 10 years now! Little bit of overkill, but it certainly gets the job done! :D

P8051837

Edited by MrObsessive

which brand of lacquer do you use? Are they in spray cans or made specifically for airbrushing? 

I have used Model Master and Testors, which start out in spray cans - I decant for airbrushing, and sometimes will spray direct from the can after the hard-to-reach areas have been hit with the airbrush. I have also used Duplicolor Perfect Match in spray cans (again, I decanted them, but I do believe they are available in larger quantities if you want to spend the money (this is what pro shops would use). However, I recently had another disaster with Duplicolor and have decided there are just too many things that can go wrong with them, and have moved on. My most recent experiments were with House of Kolor (Valspar), and I was able to purchase small quantities from Coast Airbrush. I really like the results - this is the first clear I've successfully airbrushed on that is so hard when it cures in my food dehydrator, that you really have to work to get the orange peel out! ;)

I was using a harbor freight airbrush compressor and after 6 months it decided its time has come. Happy to see that one is quite because that's important to me. If it wasnt I would just get a pancake compressor with a big tank for storage and use that ? . Anyone else out there recommend compressors?

Just using it for my second time today. At 30 psi, with continuous spray from a full tank, it comes on after about 20-25 seconds. If you normally spray with it, shirt bursts, it comes on after about 45 seconds to 1 minute.

That's pretty good! I'll have to check out their website and see if I can find a printed statisic...

Well, that was disappointing - you'd think such a thing would be at least mentioned by the mfr! Here's all that Paasche had to say, "D3000R 1/8 HP Compressor with Tank, Regulator and Moisture Trap. 1/8 H.P. tank mounted piston compressor with regulator & moisture trap. The tank fills to 40 PSI and shutoff. Will deliver up to 20-30 PSI depending on airbrush being used.  Noise level is 47 dbs." 

I would have liked to see "fills to 40psi and then refills again at 20psi"... that is what seems to be happening, and it's similar to what I'm experiencing with my Sparmax. To be honest with you, that compressor is a bit underpowered... a more powerful compressor might have allowed a longer "off" period...

Edited by fseva

Here's a "tankless" compressor that has the specs... according to Amazon.com...

This tankless airbrush compressor delivers excellent power (1/5 horse) with very little noise (55 db) thanks to its precision-forged piston. Sensitive, diaphragm regulator with integrated pressure gauge and water-trap allows precise control and delivery of clean, dry air. On-demand operation; the compressor runs until its pressure reaches approximately 58 psi, then it cycles off until the pressure drops to 40 psi, where the unit restarts. This auto-start/stop feature saves power and reduces motor wear & heat while maintaining enough pressure to operate most airbrushes. Compact and lightweight (8 lbs.) with easy-carry handle. Rubber feet to protect your work surface. Oil-less design makes this compressor suitable for food decorating and body/nail art along with all other standard airbrushing applications. Approximate air delivery of 1.0 CFM. Connections: 1/8" BSP male outlet. Dimensions: 10" long, 4" wide, 7" tall. Grounded 120 volt power cord (6'). Model: Elite-125x from PointZero Airbrush. Maintenance-free, CE certified and thermally-protected.

I don't know how they do it without a tank to store the air... anybody?