Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell "Skip's Fiesta" Series

No. The kits are the same old tools regardless of the extra cardboard that got tossed into the box. If you're okay with a multi piece body and don't mind fiddling with the retractible top pieces, then the kit builds up pretty decent. I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner though.

I had that one.  It didn't have any cardboard drive-in stuff, only the ancient Revell '59, with slightly oversize Olds Fiesta wheel covers and skinny Monogram tyres.  It is a fiddly kit to build and the body sides in mine were warped, which ultimately led to it becoming a parts kit.

With some effort and patience it will build up into a nice model (this one is NOT mine)...

That really does look nice! Has anyone here actually been successful at building the multi-piece body? 

I would probably forget about the retractable top and just build it top-up or as a convertible...

No. The kits are the same old tools regardless of the extra cardboard that got tossed into the box. If you're okay with a multi piece body and don't mind fiddling with the retractible top pieces, then the kit builds up pretty decent. I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner though.

So Mike, I take it you have built one of these... if I just built it as a top-up or convertible and hid the area with the retractable stuff, would this be something I could do? Not a beginner - I have about 4 years experience... and I'm looking for kits that would not be available in modern tools, just for the display shelf...

BTW, why doesn't Revell do a modern tool of subjects such as this?

If you're looking for old kits & you really want to do a '59 Ford, you may want to just keep an eye on ebay & pick up an old AMT annual.

They're really not all that rare.

They come up quite often at fairly reasonable prices.

AMT also did a "Junior Craftsman" kit I believe in the early 60s which is the kit that I did mine from.

They're all curbside of course, but it is at least a one piece body.

You can always cut things open or use parts from the Revell kit depending on what you want to do.

The AMT 59s make a nice shelf model just as they are.

Steve

photo DSCN3548_zps5b4d7329.jpg photo DSCN3537_zpspbcinvdm.jpg photo DSCN3545_zpsl7hvwhcp.jpg

I used to "hang out" at Skip's Fiesta Drive In back in the mid-60's and that was quite a place. It attracted many cars from gassers, street machines, muscle cars, pony cars, sports cars, and even a few dragsters. The food was pretty good too. I'll NEVER forget that place, and I'm sorry I didn't take any pictures in the many times I've been there.

If you're looking for old kits & you really want to do a '59 Ford, you may want to just keep an eye on ebay & pick up an old AMT annual.

AMT also did a "Junior Craftsman" kit I believe in the early 60s which is the kit that I did mine from.

You can always cut things open or use parts from the Revell kit depending on what you want to do.

Steve

photo DSCN3548_zps5b4d7329.jpg photo DSCN3537_zpspbcinvdm.jpg photo DSCN3545_zpsl7hvwhcp.jpg

After looking at a few of the Revell kits in the box. The multi-piece body scared me off

I did just this. I picked up a real clean builtup 1959 Sunliner kit a while back.

Gorgeous... as usual! I tried for a couple weeks looking for old annuals and had no luck. Perhaps I'll give it another shot! 

Wow Harry! That's really beautiful! I'm going to start looking for this kit on eBay!

As stated above, all the plastic in the various boxes is identical. You can find prices for different issues all over the board, from less than $10 to "rare and collectible" (same exact kit in the box) listed at well over $100.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Harry and Sam, thanks for showing this kit can be built nicely. I have the kit and have been a little leery of it. Plus, it's good to see that blonde with the pony tail painted. I thought she seemed a little small, but she looks just fine sitting there. (She and her gentleman friend come in the kit, BTW)

I've built it. No problems whatsoever. I don't see why the multi-piece body would be an issue... after all, aren't all model kits multi-piece?

That's a real beauty, Harry. A little bit o'patience goes a long way. Multi-piece bodies shouldn't present a problem for real modelers. ;)  :)  Try building a couple ICM car kits. Ol' Humpty Jackson here   

HumptyJackson.thumb.JPG.c0d883356113648d

didn't take his time and lookit the mess he ended up with.

Edited by SfanGoch

A little bit o'patience goes a long way. Multi-piece bodies shouldn't present a problem for real modelers.

It's not so much that it's a problem, more like how much messing around do you want to do.

If you don't mind spending time fiddling around with this sort of kit, go for it.

I was merely suggesting an alternative that will give you every bit as nice a finished kit with a heck of a lot less hassle.

To each his own.

Steve

So Mike, I take it you have built one of these... if I just built it as a top-up or convertible and hid the area with the retractable stuff, would this be something I could do? Not a beginner - I have about 4 years experience... and I'm looking for kits that would not be available in modern tools, just for the display shelf...

BTW, why doesn't Revell do a modern tool of subjects such as this?

Sorry I'm a little late on this Frank, but as you've probably ascertained from other responses, the multi-piece body is no big deal. Seems to fit pretty decent. It can be built with the top up and skip the fiddly mechanicals. If you've been modeling for over four years you'll be fine.

It's not so much that it's a problem, more like how much messing around do you want to do.

If you don't mind spending time fiddling around with this sort of kit, go for it.

I was merely suggesting an alternative that will give you every bit as nice a finished kit with a heck of a lot less hassle.

To each his own.

Steve

Just a little teasin', Steve. :)  Many happy generic all-inclusive non-offensive winter festival felicitations! It took me four kits over 10 years before I finally got it right. Tube cement wasn't my friend back then. We're still not on speaking terms today. The magic of CA adhesives makes getting those panels to align properly a cinch. I build a lot of armor and they usually contain an insane amount of small parts; so, I don't rush things anymore. When it's done, it's done. 

Trying to find the old AMT kit is a hassle in its own right. I understand your point about an alternative; but, man, the price for one, if available straight up/buy now, is a bit steep. For that kind of bread, one can get three Revell kits to practice on and still have money left over for a fourth to build up nicely after learning from your mistakes.  :)

Just a little teasin', Steve. :)  Many happy generic all-inclusive non-offensive winter festival felicitations! It took me four kits over 10 years before I finally got it right. Tube cement wasn't my friend back then. We're still not on speaking terms today. The magic of CA adhesives makes getting those panels to align properly a cinch. I build a lot of armor and they usually contain an insane amount of small parts; so, I don't rush things anymore. When it's done, it's done. 

Trying to find the old AMT kit is a hassle in its own right. I understand your point about an alternative; but, man, the price for one, if available straight up/buy now, is a bit steep. For that kind of bread, one can get three Revell kits to practice on and still have money left over for a fourth to build up nicely after learning from your mistakes.  :)

Point taken.

But on the other hand, I bought my AMT '59 Ford "Junior Craftsman" kit on ebay 2 years ago for $39.00.

Built but unpainted & with no glue. Still in the box.

That's not really out of the range of most of us given a new kit costs nearly $25.00-$30.00.

Even the Skip's Fiesta kits on the bay are running an average of $30.00-$40.00.

Steve

photo DSCN3384_zpsqfrwekyu.jpg

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

Even the Skip's Fiesta kits on the bay are running an average of $30.00-$40.00.

Tell me about it... I'm waiting until I can get someone's kit who doesn't want it anymore, and isn't going to think of it as a "collectable"! ;)

Edited by fseva

Tell me about it... I'm waiting until I can get someone's kit who doesn't want it anymore, and isn't going to think of it as a "collectable"! ;)

I've got a couple of them, but I believe I've started them both & lord only knows what's left of them.

If I still have one that's complete & buildable I'd let you have it.

I'll have to see what I have.

Steve

Hi Frank, I think I an unbuilt one I would like to trade. If I recall it had no box and the front rail had a 1/4"? Section broken off(clean break and I had the piece) Pm me if you interested - I'm always looking for muscle car trades thx Brandon

With some effort and patience it will build up into a nice model (this one is NOT mine)...

Revell%201959%20Ford%20Fairlane%20500%20

Revell%201959%20Ford%20Fairlane%20500%20

Here's another one...

DSC07499.jpg

DSC07501.jpg

haven't built one yet. Although I will, Someone I knew did build one, and his review was similar to this one, except He noted some extra care in the dash area was needed to get it fitted correctly.