Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Missile

6bblbird

This has always been my favorite Pro Stocker!

82-vi.thumb.jpg.3a31fa8e98051f14c17b23b8

I would like to take you through my build.

Here is what I am starting with! An MPC Pro Stock 'cuda that needs a lot of work.DSC02152-vi.thumb.jpg.5cb7abea162cc4d791

I start by removing the '72 MPC nose and tail light panel and transfer them to an unknown body. Thought it was a Johan but probably not.DSC02951-vi.thumb.jpg.b908f43a41e4c59956

DSC02950-vi.jpg

Edited by 6bblbird
incorrect info

Very cool! I have the same thing to work with, and the Slixx MM decals. All that's keeping me from building it is, I need to figure out how to fix those wretchedly inaccurate kit headlight buckets. I'm working that out on a snap stocker, and when I do, it's Missile Time!

The engine is going to be a focal point so I want it to be as correct as possible. A Hot Rod magazine article was very helpful.

This engine is actually complete but I want to show the progress pics.

Notice the aluminum rod that is used to line up the engine, bellhousing, and motor plate as none of these pieces are from a common kit.

Many parts for this car are from the "stash"

Motor plate was cut from ".030 sheet plastic.

DSC02984-vi.thumb.jpg.51b5a53ba29f058f1eDSC02983.thumb.JPG.288aecd1920529b8e9ec6

Race cars almost always require a scattershield of safety bell housing. Many builders omit these. This one is a resin piece that I bought at a show.

Edited by 6bblbird

I stumbled upon this and am encouraged to pull out a long dormant project. A couple of thoughts:

• After being allowed to rust almost into oblivion, the Missile is being restored. Here's a link to a facebook page dedicated to its restoration: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1025140980845284.1073741834.810583018967749&type=3
  • Interesting choice on bodies. When Revell's Cuda was released there was a lot of discussion as to the best 'Cuda body. I'm not sure the Jo-han is more accurate than the MPC body. Either are more accurate than the Revell. The MPC offers the advantage of the Motown scoop if you can find one. I'm interested to see how you handle the headlights.....I've got a good guess.
  • The Revell kit is a good parts kit for this build. The chassis and interior are much more accurate than either the Jo-han or MPC. You can get the Revell chassis to fit the MPC body. Good luck on getting it to fit under the Jo-han. The interior builds up off a platform which mounts to the chassis plate. This makes using the chassis plate and the interior a huge challenge to fit under the MPC kit. I wouldn't attempt it under the Jo-han.. Doable on the MPC, but not a shake and bake.

I look forward to following your build. Who knows, maybe I can move mine forward.

Early Pro Stock chassis were simple and down right primitive compared to todays cars.

I'm using a Johan chassis pan with a resin Dana 60 and Johan S&M torsion bars, leaf springs, and control arms. The frame connectors are square Evergreen stock.

DSC02985-vi.thumb.jpg.bd425ecde52e561d1fDSC02987-vi.thumb.jpg.8e8f7cd8092dd162e3DSC02988-vi.thumb.jpg.be974c7af57de89786 

Edited by 6bblbird

Body and interior mock up:DSC02980-vi.thumb.jpg.8b161d261fa8d9da53

I wanted replicate the gold anodized inner fenders that the real Missile had so I figured "why not use real aluminum?" I cut up a soda can, cleaned it with steel wool and formed the inner fenders. The anodized effect was achieved using Tamiya Clear Orange from the can.

DSC02991-vi.thumb.jpg.bc317e99028640480e

Great work on this Barracuda, Walter! Great to see a guy like you who really knows how this cars were built back in the day building one in 1/25 scale too. Seeing this one brings back good memories from two years ago when I built that Jo-Han Sox & Martin Pro Stock kit. It was nowhere near this nice, but I had fun with it...Just like I enjoy watching this one, keep it coming!

Hey, Walt, about those headlight buckets: When you get your solution done, any chance you could take castings and offer copies to the rest of us? Dunno if you have this capability or not but if you do, you could put me down for three sets.