Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Missile

6bblbird

The headlights were relatively were relatively easy to make. This idea of mine was featured as a tip in Scale Modeler magazine a few years ago.

You'll need a few matching headlamp lenses and some aluminum tubing. I used KD 9/32 x .014". A mini tubing cutter is also needed as it makes the "lip" that acts as the trim ring and also holds the lens in place.DSC03042-vi.thumb.jpg.56a05cffb736a648b8

In the second pic you can see the trim ring. This is caused by the tubing cutter. You won't get an even result if you roll the tube with a hobby knife.DSC03043-vi.thumb.jpg.b230912cd7898a6658

DSC03045-vi.thumb.jpg.26f01e3ec3bbed5f22

Drill out the existing "bug eye" headlamp to a size that will accommodate the assy. that you just made and glue in place.DSC03047-vi.thumb.jpg.268e9d2bbbcefbf864

I would spend some extra time and fabricate a  foiled bucket to fit behind the lens to make the lamp more reflective.

any chance I can talk you into trading out the dash for a rallye unit?

I need a non rallye dash for a model of my 1:1 I'm building

You need a large speedo dash?

I don't know if I have one, buy I'll look.

You might be able to make one by making a replacement panel out of sheet plastic. Shouldn't be that difficult.

Edited by 6bblbird

the dash I need looks like this

I need it for an AMT 71 duster

but the one that is in there is a rally version, the only kit I know of that has the dash I need is the pro street cuda your redoing

I'm sure I could modify the rallye dash, but swapping is so much easier

Sinking those headlights flush goes a long way toward improving the front end. Eliminates the kit's "bug-eyed" look.

Are you going to modify the inner rims of the buckets so they come out flush with the edge of the grille? This is the part that's hanging me up. I can think of several ways to do this, none of which would be particularly quick or easy.

Here's a Cuda headlight bucket, appropriately enough, on the actual unrestored Missile. Note the distinctive hexagonal look of the thing.

diymirage, The barracuda dashes that I have look nothing like the A body dash. I looked at a Duster kit  and found that it is also different from yours. Don't recall ever seeing a Valiant style dash in a kit. Sorry, you may have to break out that x-acto knife.

Snake

Making that recessed bucket will take a bit of work. Even MPC ignored it when they made the annual kits and the AMT version was just horrible. Although it bothered me I was not willing to spend the time to "make it right". I was happy with "glass" headlamps!

WF

the dash I need looks like this

IMG_1010_zps7ab7029d.jpg

I need it for an AMT 71 duster

but the one that is in there is a rally version, the only kit I know of that has the dash I need is the pro street cuda your redoing

I'm sure I could modify the rallye dash, but swapping is so much easier

A non rallye dash in an E body is nothing like the dash in a Valiant/duster.

I just looked thru all my A body kits and and the MPC mid 70s dart kit has a non rallye dash in it. I can get a picture this weekend to confirm if you want

Edited by gtx6970

Interior tub:

I hate making harness assemblies with photo etch! It strains every fiber of my being! A real test of patience. But they look good when finished. Always attach the shoulder belts to the cross bar.

DSC03017-vi.thumb.jpg.91adb809559f8f8446

I copied the tach from the Hot Rod magazine photos.

DSC03013-vi.thumb.jpg.1dc02b27589473a1b4

WF

Edited by 6bblbird

I think that I may regret the metallic black that I chose. Looks good but maybe too much metallic. The photo etch pieces are nice.

DSC03037-vi.thumb.jpg.1de07cabc3c4af9dc9

Slixx decals are simply awesome! Good thing that I bought two sets because I somehow got glue on one sheet.:(

DSC03041-vi.thumb.jpg.eb0d2522b9a96d1ac3

I just knew that the metallic black was gonna suck! I think that I'm gonna strip it and do it over again! The metallic is just too reflective. The sun makes the paint look lumpy and sometimes looks grey. I'm only gonna show you the best pics!IMG_2345.thumb.jpg.32a8d929d9f86c52edcaeIMG_2346.thumb.jpg.a588d58c628a8ea391c8eIMG_2352.thumb.jpg.577ff7cc76f781314cb1aIMG_2353.thumb.jpg.23fec9f99035f011d677cIMG_2355.thumb.jpg.0c648c894f562894a5e60

Edited by 6bblbird