Model Cars Magazine Forum

What AMT/MPC Molds Might Still Exist at Round 2?

I was able to buy three of those Brat kits when a wholesaler we bought from went out of business and found a stash of old product. 

A decent looking kit....yet to build one.....seems like a no brainer for a reissue but I don't pay the bills and Subaru may not be to license friendly. 

Unless there's a cost involved that is higher than Round2 is comfortable paying I would have to think the Brat is either in the works for 2016, or the tooling is not in a condition conducive to reissuing it. 

Subaru licensing itself can't be THAT hard to obtain as Aoshima, Fujimi, Hasegawa, AND Tamiya are all licensees, with Aoshima & Fujimi releasing a number of reissues of their 90s & 00s kits in 2015.

Unless there's a cost involved that is higher than Round2 is comfortable paying I would have to think the Brat is either in the works for 2016, or the tooling is not in a condition conducive to reissuing it. 

Subaru licensing itself can't be THAT hard to obtain as Aoshima, Fujimi, Hasegawa, AND Tamiya are all licensees, with Aoshima & Fujimi releasing a number of reissues of their 90s & 00s kits in 2015.

Having been in model car licensing from around 1983 until 1998 I could tell you horror stories about licensing. And even though I do not do much of that today (still a little) it has killed some major projects. I'll write a book someday!! 

Those MPC 1/16 scale series of c.1978 Chevy pickups were quite nice considering their "build and play" status ; nice dash with nice gauge detail ; "Custom Deluxe" emblems on the fenders ; nice grille , etc. , etc.

I'd also like to see the 1/16 scale 50's Chevies released , but with updated tyres and a backdate to vintage custom wheels ( those S/ST's are "poopie" in my opinion) , and updated engine options (ditch the turbo arrangement) .

This can be apples and oranges. The licenses mentioned above were issued to Japanese companies in Japan.  Subaru of North America is a separate entity (originally owned by Malcolm Bricklin) and could be an entirely different experience to deal with.    Remember that companies dealing with different divisions of General Motors in the USA found one brand friendly and another impossible to deal with!

This can be apples and oranges. The licenses mentioned above were issued to Japanese companies in Japan.  Subaru of North America is a separate entity (originally owned by Malcolm Bricklin) and could be an entirely different experience to deal with.    Remember that companies dealing with different divisions of General Motors in the USA found one brand friendly and another impossible to deal with!

Revell managed to drag in Subaru's licensing to do their diecast/plastic WRX that was part of the Tuner Series...

Volkswagen was always supposedly impossible to work with, but Round2 has certainly figured out who they needed to deal with in recent years.  Plus all the branded tires...heck if there's anyone I would trust could get a licensing deal done if it was financially viable for a project, it'd be the folks in South Bend.

Revell managed to drag in Subaru's licensing to do their diecast/plastic WRX that was part of the Tuner Series...

Volkswagen was always supposedly impossible to work with, but Round2 has certainly figured out who they needed to deal with in recent years.  Plus all the branded tires...heck if there's anyone I would trust could get a licensing deal done if it was financially viable for a project, it'd be the folks in South Bend.

Agreed.  Tom Lowe is the master of licensing, getting permissions for all of his TV and movie memorabilia. 

Having been in model car licensing from around 1983 until 1998 I could tell you horror stories about licensing. And even though I do not do much of that today (still a little) it has killed some major projects. I'll write a book someday!! 

Yes...licensing is a major factor in bringing any kit to market nowadays.

Another thing to consider...licensing has to be obtained individually for each and every product the model manufacturer produces.  If, for example Round2 decided to produce a new Ford kit they would have to go through the same approval process they have already gone through for the other Fords they are already producing. This applies to new tools, re-issues etc.  Licensing can be denied if a manufacturer doesn't like the look of vintage box art that originated in the '60's. (Note-I'm only using Ford as an example....this applies to all manufacturers)

Like Dave....I've heard some stories.

I'll go out on a limb and predict that the Brat might be a tough one to get licensing for; those rear jump seats they were equipped with might be considered controversial from a safety standpoint, and nowadays that's enough for corporate lawyers to get nervous.          

Edited by pack rat

DITTO.....that glass is black!!!! nice to have it like the box build!

Look for the 1982 annuals as opposed to the '83 versions.  The '82 kits had clear glass, '83 had the "welding goggle tint".  In most cases (Supra, EXP, Cavalier) the other parts are exactly the same.

• 1 year later...

As far as the 64 Cutlass funny car . If it had an altered wheel base no such luck of a release anytime soon. The chassis was not found. 

Might the F-85 Olds F/C have used a "shared' chassis with another kit, such as the Falcon or Tempest AF/X style kits?

As for the Olds, best I can read the Post It Note attached to the hanger shot it reads:

02-2617

'64 OLDS F-85

"POOR" CONDITION

RUST ALL OVER

5 GATES STUCK, RTN (assuming rotten?)

EJECTOR PINS

7/15/97

Not holding my breath on seeing this one again soon. -_-

If I understand correctly they have hanger shots of all  of the working molds.  They are also going through all of the molds to decide what is usable and what  is not. This was stated a year ago but they are not going to release a list of what is usable.  This is an ongoing process that may not be done for another year. 

What's interesting (to me anyway) is that Ertl started the tool sampling program in the mid-to-late '90s, and Round2 inherited many of the hanger shots when the purchased the AMT, MPC, etc assets outright. No knock on Round2 as they have put some effort into sampling what had yet to be checked out, so the more the better.

I have looked over the hanger shot images a few times, but can't make out anything other than a van kit, a late '70s/early '80s Funny Car kit, and a few smaller scale (1/32, they look like) automotive kits.

Might the F-85 Olds F/C have used a "shared' chassis with another kit, such as the Falcon or Tempest AF/X style kits?

As for the Olds, best I can read the Post It Note attached to the hanger shot it reads:

02-2617

'64 OLDS F-85

"POOR" CONDITION

RUST ALL OVER

5 GATES STUCK, RTN (assuming rotten?)

EJECTOR PINS

7/15/97

Not holding my breath on seeing this one again soon. -_-

AMTOldsF85hangershot.jpg

I believe all the front-engine First Gen AMT funny cars had interchangeable chassis. There were at least two different types of front suspensions, but I think all the wheelbases were the same (TOO short) and you could pretty much put any of those chassis under any of those bodies with few if any problems. Interior tubs were different, of course.

In your hanger shot pic, I see the stock (promo-type) chassis, and what looks like the full chrome tree from the annual. (I don't recall that any of the FCs came with two complete sets of wheels.) The stock engine seems to be there, too. The humped hood is from the original annual.

Man I'd love to have that hanger shot. I could make SOMETHING from it--could graft on the roof from a Revell Z16 and even if the full stock interior's not here, I could make some kind of a street freak out of it.

AMT:

My holy grails of the Craftsman series are the wagons - '60 Chevy and '63 Nova. 

We've seen and know about what remains of the '63 Chevy II wagon, but was the Craftsman '60 Chevy wagon only issued once?:

e0692552-c62c-428d-8a9d-82935ca2030b.jpg

I can't imagine it's in any sort of workable condition it the mold still exists, unless they applied the Cosmolene 1/2" thick.

Edited by Casey

We've seen and know about what remains of the '63 Chevy II wagon, but was the Craftsman '60 Chevy wagon only issued once?:

e0692552-c62c-428d-8a9d-82935ca2030b.jpg

I can't imagine it's in any sort of workable condition it the mold still exists, unless they applied the Cosmolene 1/2" thick.

i wouldnt mind seeing this one again

• 11 months later...
On 12/25/2015 at 9:17 AM, tim boyd said:

Snake....last I heard, there is one mold (or enough of it left to make a kit reissue possible) that is actually in Round 2's tentative 2016 release plan.  It's a kit that was only ever released once and then was only in production for less than a year.   It's one we've heard that was retooled to a much different product, or. alternatively, permanently scrapped.

Was this the '68 El Camino/Soap Box Derby kit?

11 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

No fair Tim. Are there still plans to do the "kit" you know something about, and we don't? And if so, can you give us a hint? 

Scott..those are very good questions. 

I am not aware of any progress on this project whatsoever.  Regrettably, I failed to ask for an update last time I met with one of the people involved.  If there was any movement I am pretty sure  he would have told me without being asked. 

Hmmm......TIM   

2 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Scott..those are very good questions. 

I am not aware of any progress on this project whatsoever.  Regrettably, I failed to ask for an update last time I met with one of the people involved.  If there was any movement I am pretty sure  he would have told me without being asked. 

Hmmm......TIM   

Bummer. 

Just before the molds left Iowa the 66 T-bird promo / craftsman tool was sampled in error (wrong label on tool). This was not part of the hanger shot program, it was someone looking to find a particular model for personal reasons.

I received a full set of nice looking parts (with engine block off plate) from a friend in Dyersville. The parts look good and  very little flash. 

Would be interesting to know how many times something like this happened.

101_0655.jpg

101_0656.jpg

101_0654.jpg

4 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Nope.///TIM

Thanks, that rules out...dang, only one kit. -_- :D

48 minutes ago, Carmak said:

Just before the molds left Iowa the 66 T-bird promo / craftsman tool was sampled in error (wrong label on tool). This was not part of the hanger shot program, it was someone looking to find a particular model for personal reasons.

I received a full set of nice looking parts (with engine block off plate) from a friend in Dyersville. The parts look good and  very little flash. 

Would be interesting to know how many times something like this happened.

Wow, thanks for sharing the info and pics, Craig.

When was the tooling removed from the IA storage location and moved...to either China or elsewhere in the U.S.? Some of the tooling seems to have never left the U.S. (MPC 1/20 Ford Van, AMT Customizing Boat, AMT Datsun 280Z Turbo, etc.,), while some was sent to China.

Did Ertl move the tooling sent to Mexico in the '90s back to the facility in Iowa?