Model Cars Magazine Forum

What AMT/MPC Molds Might Still Exist at Round 2?

Shazzzzzaaammmm ! I'm looking at the Atlas Moving van model . I had this thing in 1964 when it showed at a drug store . I even spoke to Budd Anderson about doing other heavy truck models and I was told that there was at the time , a proposal to do others . What a WONDERFUL trip back in through the TIME WARP people !

8 hours ago, Casey said:

While these are only kits and not the actual molds from which the kits can be produced, I do see a few kits here in Round2's stash which have been produced, and some which could still eventually see the light of day.

R2stashonIG.jpg

One of my holy grails is shown above. The AMT '72 Camaro SS, with the non-RS front end. 

1 hour ago, unclescott58 said:

One of my holy grails is shown above. The AMT '72 Camaro SS, with the non-RS front end. 

I have a glue bomb original '70 with the standard front I'm working on. It comes molded with vinyl top, which I wish it didn't, but I'm going to work with it anyway. 

10 hours ago, Eshaver said:

Shazzzzzaaammmm ! I'm looking at the Atlas Moving van model . I had this thing in 1964 when it showed at a drug store . I even spoke to Budd Anderson about doing other heavy truck models and I was told that there was at the time , a proposal to do others . What a WONDERFUL trip back in through the TIME WARP people !

What's the story behind that Atlas Moving Van model? What was it modeled after? The tractor looks like something a Japanese model company would have designed. And wasn't the tractor also available with a dump trailer? What I've seen of this kit, I've only seen online in the year or so. I never have seen it or the dump trailer model before that or in real life. It's an interesting model. And I'd like to know about it. 

P.S. Actually isn't that a North American Van Line truck, and not an Atlas as I look closer at it? 

Edited by unclescott58

2 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

And wasn't the tractor also available with a dump trailer?

Yep:

4.jpg.8693da18be70c4674cada094baa93cfb.jpg

IIRC it was a very simplified (almost toylike) kit; might have done better if it was a real tractor instead of a generic one (it looked somewhat like the Chevy but wasn't based on any real truck).

Edited by ChrisBcritter

2 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

Cool pics, certainly drool-worthy. But what's up with the Revell kits on the desk? Are these pics really from the Round2 stash?

Yes, they are. They'd be foolish not to check out the competition's offerings, and the Autoworld Store sells Revell products, so not a huge stretch.

1 hour ago, Mr. Metallic said:

Wow, I learned something new today. Thanks Casey

If you look at the racks in the background of Chad's monthly Autoworld/Round2 videos, that appears to be Autoworld's warehouse, and you'll see Revell kits on the shelves. I'm not exactly sure what the exact business relationship is with Round2, LLC and Autoworld, but they are close.

Just looking at the kits sitting on the desk in the bottom pic, I see 18 kits which Round2 has reissued within the last few years, and I bet the Orange Blossom Special, SnapFit Firebird, and Barris Mail Truck are not that far away from being reissued. 

12 minutes ago, Casey said:

Just looking at the kits sitting on the desk in the bottom pic, I see 18 kits which Round2 has reissued within the last few years, and I bet the Orange Blossom Special, SnapFit Firebird, and Barris Mail Truck are not that far away from being reissued. 

Yeah, cool stuff to be sure. Even what's just on the desk, not to mention the shelves.

A reissue of the 28 Woody/pickup with faux-retro boxart would be cool(maybe with the Hot Curl included???).

The mail truck would be cool, even just for parts, and the Orange Blossom is one a lot of people have been asking for. Some people complain about Round2's focus on reissues, but I love them, and I'm glad they keep digging further into the vault.

14 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

What's the story behind that Atlas Moving Van model? What was it modeled after? The tractor looks like something a Japanese model company would have designed. And wasn't the tractor also available with a dump trailer? What I've seen of this kit, I've only seen online in the year or so. I never have seen it or the dump trailer model before that or in real life. It's an interesting model. And I'd like to know about it. 

P.S. Actually isn't that a North American Van Line truck, and not an Atlas as I look closer at it? 

Scott, you're correct on all counts . I had the moving van . I never saw the Dump truck until years later when these were binging insane prices .

13 hours ago, Mercuryman54 said:

Uncle Scott & Ellen, what say you?

Dennis

Dennis , I never got specifics from Mr. Anderson on the Moving van. He just said things were being considered as in Construction equipment . The first piece I recall was the D8H Caterpillar . That was well AFTER Mr. Anderson left AMT and helped found IMC corp.

20 minutes ago, Mr. Metallic said:

A reissue of the 28 Woody/pickup with faux-retro box art would be cool(maybe with the Hot Curl included???).

The world was apparently not quite ready for the big Hot Curl (admittedly different than the 1/25 scale figure you mentioned, but..) figures in 2011, when Round2 proposed/teased reissuing them:

ihobby2011r2031.jpg

The MPC '29 Ford Woodie/Pickup with Hot Curl:

MPC29woodieHC.jpg

Edited by Casey

41 minutes ago, Casey said:

The world was apparently not quite ready for the big Hot Curl (admittedly different than the 1/25 scale figure you mentioned, but..) figures in 2011, when Round2 proposed/teased reissuing them:

ihobby2011r2031.jpg

I'm still waiting for the three above to be reissued. Hot Curl is still the coolest. About a year ago, I got a resin version of the 1/25 scale Hot Curl that with the MPC Model A woody/pickup. Made by Maryland Replicas and Minitures I believe. A very nice addition to go with the last (AMT/Ertl) reissue of the Model A woody/pickup I built. Completing the kit. 

Edited by unclescott58

On 1/23/2018 at 1:08 AM, ChrisBcritter said:

Yep:

4.jpg.8693da18be70c4674cada094baa93cfb.jpg

IIRC it was a very simplified (almost toylike) kit; might have done better if it was a real tractor instead of a generic one (it looked somewhat like the Chevy but wasn't based on any real truck).

The moving van was a promo item. It had a transistor radio in the trailer. When it became a kit there was no radio.  IIRC the dump truck was tooled just to get more use from the mold. 

I have the van...and while simple a fun look at kit history. Without these we may not have gotten the Peterbilt.

Edited by Dave Van

1 hour ago, Dave Van said:

The moving van was a promo item. It had a transistor radio in the trailer. When it became a kit there was no radio.  IIRC the dump truck was tooled just to get more use from the mold. 

I have the van...and while simple a fun look at kit history. Without these we may not have gotten the Peterbilt.

Dave , YOU just confirmed my longest running suspicion ovret at AMT