Model Cars Magazine Forum

What AMT/MPC Molds Might Still Exist at Round 2?

• 6 months later...

!!! BUMP !!! For this thread / topic . 

I've been thinking more and more about some of the aforementioned kits in this thread [ bump for Tim Boyd's outstanding Toyota Supra : https://public.fotki.com/funman1712/from-the-pages-of-y/from-the-pages-of-s/from-the-pages-of-s-1/dsc-0206.html#media ] , especially the oddball subcompact "gems" of the 80's ( Cavalier , EXP , wrong-wheel-drive 'Charger' / Shelby edition , Chevette , etc. , etc. ) which we Blank Generation folks grew up with , and I thought , How about a "Collectors' Edition" of sorts ? Like , a kit that includes all of those "gems" in one box ? The decal sheets could also include recall notices ! Haha ! May as well call it something like "T.S.B. Series : 80's Subcompacts" or some-such .

Yes , I'm part tongue-in-cheek with the whole recall thing ; but , the prosaic truth is that , I honestly believe that such a 'pack' ( e.g. , 3-5 kits-in-one-box ) would be a hot seller for Round2 ! 

1 hour ago, 1972coronet said:

the oddball subcompact "gems" of the 80's ( Cavalier , EXP , wrong-wheel-drive 'Charger' / Shelby edition , Chevette , etc. , etc. ) which we Blank Generation folks grew up with 

Those 70s and 80s kits were engineered well and went together pretty good!   They had full detail engines and chassis,  under hood details like washer and radiator overflow bottles, anything under the hood was in the kit!   Add in kits like the Daytona, Fiero and the mini pickups too!  Here's a few we did as a club challenge many years ago...

Winter patrol at Big Bass Lake. Antennia was made from  wire.

84 Fiero Pro Rally103-0389 IMG

• 1 year later...
On 11/27/2018 at 12:23 PM, alexis said:

I'd like to see the Pintera kit come back. Warts and all, that is a blast of 70's nostalgia right there.

Guess your wish came true:

AMT1166M-6.jpg?v-cache=1579007863

Edited by Casey

• 6 months later...

Not a fan of the 1/35 scale but I know it has a following. Now that '34 Ford Sedan Delivery but in a 1/25th scale would be a big seller I'm sure. The Square body Chevrolet pickups in 1/25 should be a popular kit as well. A lot of builders are getting into the Vans so that would be good as well. We can hope that Round 2 sees every ones discussion and with the new partnership they may have the capitol to make it happen.  

1 hour ago, Sledsel said:

Pretty sure the Mustang II is available in stock version still. It is what was on the AMT/Ertl box

I thought someone here mentioned not long ago the MPC Mustang II is a bit of a hodge-podge now, mixed with the Pro Stock kit, last issued as the Fire Fighter?

The AMT Mustang II it has been long OOP, and it's sibling Capri II, too.

Edited by Casey

8 minutes ago, Casey said:

I thought someone here mentioned not long ago the MPC Mustang II is a bit of a hodge-podge now, mixed with the Pro Stock kit, last issued as the Fire Fighter?

I built the last reissue of the Mustang ll and there was just stock parts in my kit but it had way to big tires. I supplied my own from the parts box...Street Custom kit.

Edited by slusher

9 minutes ago, Casey said:

Yes, the MPC one seems to only exist in Pro Stock form (indeed last issued as the Fire Fighter), and the AMT Mustang II presumably still exists in stock form, last reissued in 2006 (blue box art car in the post above). 

Edited by Rob Hall

2 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

Yes, the MPC one seems to only exist in Pro Stock form (indeed last issued as the Fire Fighter), and the AMT Mustang II presumably still exists in stock form, last reissued in 2006 (blue box art car in the post above). 

Not sure but I feel the stock MPC II is there somewhere. The first pro stock MPC Mustang II's were the Dyno Don and Fire Fighter car in 1974,  I know the stock MPC went til 1977 and in 1978 the MPC King Cobra was issued (stock with new parts) This one was never issued again

On 2/20/2018 at 8:56 AM, mikemodeler said:

That wrecker is not representative of any 1:1 truck that I am aware of and we would be better served putting either the bed from the Revell Midnite Cowboy wrecker kit or the resin wrecker bed from Jeff Ballard at MCRC.

Not sure bout that, I stumbled across this and it looks a lot like the GMC wrecker. 

Maybe the wrecker parts would be better suited for an older model truck? 

147813330_301078961350380_7627238573736714370_n.jpg

6 minutes ago, Casey said:

Andy, 'twas you. 😉

Yup, at that time I did not realize the Firefighter and Dyno Don car came out in 1974.... I found a timeline of MPC Mustang II kits recently and my "thought" was debunked. LOL

After 78, MPC did not release any Mustang II's with stock pieces, but the build on the 2006 AMT box art was an MPC kit

1 hour ago, Sledsel said:

Yup, at that time I did not realize the Firefighter and Dyno Don car came out in 1974.... I found a timeline of MPC Mustang II kits recently and my "thought" was debunked. LOL

After 78, MPC did not release any Mustang II's with stock pieces, but the build on the 2006 AMT box art was an MPC kit

No doubt it was MPC but remember that Racing Champions or RC2 was in control of the company back then and several "mistakes" were made on the boxes. 

As I understand it. they didn't allow enough turnaround time to properly build a model for the box art and some of the builders would just send in whatever they had on their shelf that was close enough to pass as the kit in the box.

Also, RC2/Racing Champions only bought Ertl to get their hands on the NASCAR licensing Ertl was holding and for the diecast end of the business. They didn't have any interest in model cars and did their bare minimum to produce them.

3 hours ago, Sledsel said:

Not sure bout that, I stumbled across this and it looks a lot like the GMC wrecker. 

Maybe the wrecker parts would be better suited for an older model truck? 

147813330_301078961350380_7627238573736714370_n.jpg

Although I do believe the bed design was already outdated for 1967, the real problem is the boom:

On 2/19/2018 at 7:36 PM, Casey said:

mpc68.JPG.cd38d669343560775f3d16fe2982ce43.JPG

On 2/19/2018 at 10:41 PM, Daddyfink said:

Image result for amt 67 pickup kevorkian

It was unrealistic cartoon fantasy in 1967, even when these kits were considered "toys" at the time.

I suppose a certain segment of Round 2's clientele might be interested in reliving "warm fuzzy" memories of building one of these in their youth, but I think that will only get them so far...

2 hours ago, Robberbaron said:

Although I do believe the bed design was already outdated for 1967, the real problem is the boom:

It was unrealistic cartoon fantasy in 1967, even when these kits were considered "toys" at the time.

I suppose a certain segment of Round 2's clientele might be interested in reliving "warm fuzzy" memories of building one of these in their youth, but I think that will only get them so far...

Isn’t the same Towtruck bed on Cooters towtruck  in the Dukes of Hazzard model?

11 hours ago, Robberbaron said:

Well, I agree to a point.

The boom looks very similar to the one I posted and these also, but it is "boxed" in. Possibly to save engineering or production cost.

download (20).jpg1951 DODGE POWER WAGON TOW TRUCK - 170136

Edited by Sledsel