Model Cars Magazine Forum

Novus polishing system

This may be a stupid question, but I'm going to ask it anyway...I've recenty begun using the Novus 1,2,3 polishing products, and I think I need a little expert guidance.  I've got a lacquer paint job, cleared, dry, and ready for polishing.  The  paint is smooth and blemish free, and has some shine but lacks any real gloss.  Should I start with the #2, or start with the #3 and risk it roughing what is already there before going to the #2?  Anybody have any experience in this situation?

First off, I don't really consider Novus to be a true "polishing" system, as is Micromesh, with its increasingly smaller grits. Novus seems to be numbered not because of what they do, but rather to keep the products straight in customers' minds. IMHO, you should NEVER use #3 if you already have a nice smooth finish, and you want to simply  improve its shine. I really don't know where #3 fits, but it may not even be for plastic models, but rather for more commercial or industrial uses. It's just way too gritty for use on models - especially the aforementioned. #1 is not really a polish - it is more of a cleaner... and as Steve G told me, a method of imparting an anti-static component to our models. That leaves #2, which I have used on clear parts, but only to give a final polish to clear parts that have been damaged and needed corrective sanding. I think it could be used in polishing a smooth plastic model, but it would have to be well toward the end of the process since there is very little abrasive in it.

I recommend Tamiya's Polishing System, which is numbered in a very helpful way - #3 is coarse; #2 is fine; and #1 is finish . . .  as in after you're done, you're finished. These all come in tubes of the same size/different colors & of course numbers.