Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hayes Clipper offroad truck

Hallo all

That is a project I am working on it for a longer time now and I think it is time to share it with all of you. I was looking thru the internet searching for pics for hours. Hayes trucks are special, not a mass production strictly concentrated on the customer who ordered them. Engine, frame, and axels every brand is possible just like the customer needs it. A Hayes is build for ever no way to rust around with out being used.

It is the reproduction of a fun build but very realistic and 100% possible, based on a 1965 Hayes Clipper 100 off road logger. An old logger being put together after an accident with different parts to be used again for moving logging trailer around the loading place.

Most parts are from the junk yard box, some are self made resin parts and the cab is from AITM. Frame and fenders from AMT`s  Autocar, front axel from Italeri, rear axel MPC`s Mack. Cab, hood and radiator from the AITM Hayes Clipper 200 with some changes. The base is the first generation of the Clipper series with some off road fenders. 

Here the start

And the tires I am not sure about the size

And the front

That is the way I want to go on with this project

Still a lot of work to be done but a lot of fun. The rear axel is the next step. I camel back is a bit to high way style, I think the 55.000 lb is a better choice.

So long

arnd 

Arnd,

I love your ideas and theme for this project !  The whole thing with the class8 trucks and heavier.Is that if you have enough money you can build any truck you want .

If you have a good mechanic and welder you can rebuild most anything. And of course you need a graveyard of old trucks for some parts.

I will be following this thread .

Be Well

Gator

Hallo all

I cast the rear axel from my Mack DM600, I think this one is much more authentically for a truck of this size. I think I will use the bigger Revell tires too. The rims have to be reworked to fit with the axels I use and I have to build some new front tire rims because the Revell Hanomag trailer has only rear tire rims. It will be some work but it will make it special. The truck looks “harder” this way. I think that will not make the whole truck trailer combination look strange when the trailer will have smaller tires then the truck.

Here the start with the production for the resin parts I need and the first test with the new rear axel. Everything fits quite well. There is still some reworking needed here and there but it looks already grate.

@Sean I don’t think that I will use a V8 for this truck but I am not sure jet. I think a Cummins 6 cylinder fits quite well under the long hood.

so long

arnd

Hallo all

@Gator the pit fenders are as the frame is from the AMT Autocar kit. I just sanded them to make them look a bit different. I did some research for the engine. It looks like that the most used engine, was the Rolls Royce 6 cylinder inline diesel engine. It looks like these engines didn’t have a long life most of them were replaced with Detroits, Cummins and Caterpillars. I think that the choice of a DD 8V-71 would be grate for repowering.

By the way does one of you know what type of trailer this one is? I find it while I was searching for pics in the internet. For what type of wood is it build?

So long

Arnd

32.jpg

Arnd,

I say again.I think a Detroit is the way to go on this one. As for the trailer . It looks like the pulp wood trailers we had in Florida. But being that truck is most likely in the pacific north West. I really can't say I guess just about any kind of wood depending on the size of the truck??

Oh I thought ylou might be using the A-car fenders. I like what you did with them.

Be Well

Gator

• 2 weeks later...

Hallo guys

I have some problems with the steering system of this truck. I did find some pics and technical information on the steering system for Hayes HD and HDX but not for the Clipper.

Does anyone of you know if they have the same steering system or if they are different?

So long

Arnd