Model Cars Magazine Forum

Wish list for future Deuce Roadster re-issue

Phildaupho

While waiting for the family to arrive for Christmas dinner I got to thinkin’. As far as I know the original mid 1990’s Revell Deuce Highboy Roadster was modified in a number of ways to produce the Rat Roaster. I for one would like to see Revell issue a more generic Deuce Highboy and think they could easily modify the Rat Roaster to produce a successful and popular “new’ Deuce Highboy Roaster.

This is my wish list of changes I would like to see

Interior - return to a bench seat interior

Exterior - up-top, louvered hood top and hood sides with more louvers than the first issue

Engine - three carb and/or dual quad intake manifold, option of existing side exhausts or inboard headers

Suspension – beam front axle and quickchange rearend

Wheels – deep dish rear steelie wheels

What would you like in a “new’ Deuce Highboy Roaster kit?

Maybe Revell will listen.

Edited by Phildaupho

An off comment topic, but one that effects your thread Phil. Is the use of script type on this site. For some reason, trying to read this type of type is a pain on my iPad. And it's not just your using it. It's that way with others too. And I've been told I'm not the only one who has problems with this.

Script looks nice, but I'd rather read and know what your talking. Just a thought. Back to trying to figure out what you said above, about a subject that interests me.

An off comment topic, but one that effects your thread Phil. Is the use of script type on this site. For some reason, trying to read this type of type is a pain on my iPad. And it's not just your using it. It's that way with others too. And I've been told I'm not the only one who has problems with this.

Script looks nice, but I'd rather read and know what your talking. Just a thought. Back to trying to figure out what you said above, about a subject that interests me.

How's that. I guess Arial is the default font for this forum??

I would still like the option of a street stock version. The other thing I would really like is a 40s-50s Bonneville/Lakes style car with vintage speed parts. A Doane Spencer building option would be great as well!

Edited by oldcarfan
Added sentence

While waiting for the family to arrive for Christmas dinner I got to thinkin’. As far as I know the original mid 1990’s Revell Deuce Highboy Roadster was modified in a number of ways to produce the Rat Roaster. I for one would like to see Revell issue a more generic Deuce Highboy and think they could easily modify the Rat Roaster to produce a successful and popular “new’ Deuce Highboy Roaster.

This is my wish list of changes I would like to see

Interior - return to a bench seat interior

Exterior - up-top, louvered hood top and hood sides with more louvers than the first issue

Engine - three carb and/or dual quad intake manifold, option of existing side exhausts or inboard headers

Suspension – beam front axle and quickchange rearend

Wheels – deep dish rear steelie wheels

What would you like in a “new’ Deuce Highboy Roaster kit?

Maybe Revell will listen.

Interesting question, and yes,  this is a subject Revell, I suspect, might possibly have some interest in.  

As for me personally, I like all of your suggestions, particularly the beam axle and Quick Change.  

One suggestion I'd add for sure - lose the SBC.  I mean, could we come up with any more generic of an engine choice???  So many other cool engine choices out there....preferably Ford engines (S.C.o.T Flathead V8, Ardun Ford V8, Y-Block Ford, Y-Block Lincoln, MEL, FE, 335 series Cleveland (a bucks-up choice for hot rods back then), a 385 series 429 Cobra Jet, etc, etc,, even a 289 or 302 Windsor with tri-power or dual quad cross-ram and Shelby Cobra valve covers/tri-y headers), but anything other than an SBC would be a close second choice. ....TIM  

Edited by tim boyd

Hi Phil,

Great thread! Actually, the Rat Roaster '32 Ford kit was all new tooling. There were trees 'copied' from the original Revell Roadster kit. Hard to believe, but true.

I like your list. An up top would be fantastic! How about some dirt track Firestones and ET IIIs? Or Kidney beans! Or a SBC! (sorry Tim!)

I can't believe that none of the Revell 32's issued ever had a quick change or beam front axle! 

Thanks,

Jim Kampmann

I agree with the suggestions for a Revell 32 Roadster reissue, I would like to see a more old school chassis with 33-34 style X center cross members and rear transverse leaf spring instead of the weird air bags, if a quick change axle is used the chassis needs a Model A rear cross member and spring, ladder bars or split V-rods for the rear end.
And an I-beam front axle to go with the hairpins as hairpins and tube axles don't go that well together,
As the Rat Roaster was supposed to be all new tooling I thought Revell would do a correct replica of the real car, but as often happens with model kits...they took shortcuts and used most of the chassis from the previous 32 kits wich is totally wrong for the Rat Roaster car.
The model chassis is as I said pretty much the old 32 chassis and has a 32 style center cross member, air bag/coilover suspension with ladder bars, tube front axle with hairpins, the real car has a X center cross member, K-link and coil over rear suspension, I-beam front axle and hairpins.

good ideas already in this thread  -

thinking out loud...

small block Chevy - the current kit, even the Rat Roaster, requires quite a bit of work to fit a small block Chev with a hood and inside exhaust.  The engine mounts on the frame are in the wrong place and interfere with the exhaust manifolds.  A couple of intake manifold choices to make things more interesting, maybe choice of 4-speed or automatic transmission....  (friendly engine mounts for engine swaps would be an alternative)  - if this one gets a small bock Chevy, Revell will be thinking ahead with something else for the next one...

rear leaf spring with a quick change, a more modern tubular or traditional hot rod X center crossmember, bench seat interior, dropped beam front axle

Revell has some great tires in their new kits like the '29 - so would like to see another wheel choice

A brake master cylinder - edit - clarification...  chassis mounted - edit again - found it on the chassis in the highboy roadster and the five window coupe, no master cylinder in the rat roaster - guess I've been working on too many AMT '32 fords...

Continue with excellent parts interchangeability with the current kits as much as possible - I have favorite parts from from each of Revell's '32 kits and like to pick and choose.

Going with an old traditional style, an update to current hot rod style, or a different level of kit detail would differentiate the new kit form what Revell already has already available

Edited by Muncie

Everyone assumes that the roadsters don't have a master cylinder because it's not hanging off the firewall, or crammed into a tiny hole under the floorboards, when in fact many newer cars are being built with the master cylinder an booster mounted under the cowling using a bell crank to operate the master cylinder that is mounted running from one side to the other like some full size vans used to do, this hides all the brake goodies and also keeps them from being exposed to excessive heat. I just think it's a little ironic that some are wanting Revell to build a more modern style chassis, but then don't acknowledge it when they do something that is up to date, but complain because it's not old fashioned enough for them.

If you want to build a deuce roadster with a I-beam front axle, nab the deuce chassis and front axle from the Model A roadster kit, or use the axle from one of the many different Model A kits that came with both a stock and dropped I-beam front axle in chrome, it wouldn't be that hard to change one of those over to disc brakes and get rid of the bulky spindles if you wanted to.

Edited by horsepower

k version. The other thing I would really like is a 40s-50s Bonneville/Lakes style car with vintage speed parts. A Doane Spencer building option would be great as well!

I totally agree.  IMO , the Doane Spencer duece is my "holy grail" of hot rods. History, style and all round beauty makes this a kit I would definitely buy!

Two different directions they might go. The key word in Phil's original post was generic by which I assume is meant a general purpose resource kit. As opposed to the Rat Roadster, which is a model (however well done is another matter...) of a specific car complete with idiosyncratic details which compromise the utilitarian value of the kit (i.e. the rear valance on the body, the entire interior, the hood, and the exhaust system). Doane Spencer replicas, salt flats cars, etc. fall in the non-generic category in my opinion. Ironically, the original Deuce HIghboy release was a very generic kit for its day - it was a very contemporary hot rod in the hugely popular style of its day, the mid-90's.

I opt for the generic category since I can rely on either whatever skills I can muster, or, more likely, the aftermarket for projects that require more specific details. I think I generally agree with the agree with Phil's original post. So...

1. I can't believe that the aftermarket has never offered a decent continuation of the classic Revell louvered hood side panels with a proper louvered hood top. Unblievable but true!!!! Think of the missed sales. So a louvered hood is top of my list.
  2. A decent buggy spring rear end, more important than the quick change IMHO. In fact personally I'd prefer a more generic pumpkin like a Ford 9" or Olds or something. But I suspect a q.c. would be the smart marketing move.
  3. The beam axle has been on everyone's list virtually at least since the turn of the century (that's 15 years, not 115 years LOL). It's part pf the whole TRJ, new traditionalist thing. The good news is the basics for it are now in the new '29 Ford roadster release. Of course that's never stopped Revell from failing to offer an already existing part before... And hairpins, naturally. I despair of Revell ever getting the front ride height anywhere near low enough, however...
  4. Basic generic juice brakes, please, not the finned Buicks on the '29. Keep It Generic, guys!
  5. The motor should most definitely be generic, and so should the transmission. So either a small block Chevy or a flathead Ford. I'm .greedy so give me both! The SBC should have ramhorns or block hugger for exhausts and Old School carburetion, ideally triples. The Flatty should (at last for Revell!) have triples, too. The trannies should be period appropriate manuals and not modern Tremecs or giant automatics hanging off the back of a poor old flattie...
  6. The interior has never been a big deal for me, but if they went old school then go really old school and give me a 40's style interior with a big fat old bolster on the back. But that's not generic, so just give me a classic tuck and roll and a decent 5 gauge Stewart Warner setup. Also include the steering wheels from the new '29 kit. A 4-spoke Bell at last!.
  7. And as long as we're going New Traditionalist TRJ style then a decent set of steelies is in order, with, as Phil points out, a decent dish and offset on the rears for some big meat rubber for a decent rake. The tires from the '29 would be OK but some bigger rubber for bigger power at the rear, in keeping with the beefier style of the Deuce body shell, would be nice. Coker style pseudo bias plies are definitely the order of the day.
  8. The up top is great, but obviously a luxury, although it would establish a theme for the kit that would help from a marketing point of view.

So that's my wish list. Keep It Generic!!!!! Let the hobbyist do the rest.

Edited by Bernard Kron

Thanks everyone for your replies. It has been very interesting reading the variety of opinions on this subject. I was not aware that the Rat Roaster was considered a new tool so that must mean Revell could re-issue the Deuce Higbboy in its original format which would be better than nothing I guess and like Bernard just said "Let the hobbyist do the rest."

Much of what I'd like has been shared but here goes anyway

Quickchange on A spring

I beam with Hairpins

Stock style centre cross member

Early Halibrands

Dirt track rears / implement fronts

Chopped screen with Sid Chavers style top

Auburn dash inset

Tuck and roll

SCoT blown flathead with 4 speed with a triple carb option

Moon tank

Louvered hood and trunk with non louvred options (like the 5W)

I'd also like to see the spring cross members engineered to allow ride height to be varied eg low setting for modern style or raised a little got traditional

Chris

Revell has included quite a lot of options within the 32 Ford tooling allready but the tooling could of course be improved and refined further.
There are four engine alternatives in the six different kits done so far from the basic 32 Ford tooling, a 302/5.0 Ford with either a sigle 4bbl carb or EFI wich is in all kits except the Rat Roaster, a 392 style Hemi came with the 5W Coupe, a 59 AB Flathead came with the Tudor Sedan and a blown Chevy Small Block came with the Rat Roaster Roadster, any one of them could be put in either of the kits.
Wheel options has been 5-slot mags, American Racing Torque Thrust, Wire Wheels, Steelies and ET wheels
The chassis is the same for all versions tho' with hairpins added with the 5 W Coupe kit, and yes there are brake master cylinders in the kits, it's under the floor as on most of the real 32 Ford street rods built today and the improvements I would like to see for the chassis I mentioned in my earlier post.

Edited by Force