Model Cars Magazine Forum

Wish list for future Deuce Roadster re-issue

Phildaupho

Hi Phil,

Great thread! Actually, the Rat Roaster '32 Ford kit was all new tooling. There were trees 'copied' from the original Revell Roadster kit. Hard to believe, but true.

They used some of the old parts masters but with modern technology to create the molds.   The "new" parts have much sharper details.  

I'm all for a stock '32 that I can cut up the trad way.  Revell's stock '40 is certainly a better base for a period build than the street rod issues, but I can't see them issuing a stock one, somehow..

Some of these have already been mentioned, but here's my wish list:

1.  I-beam front axle, ideally with in-scale kingpin boss and spindle detail, rather than an indistinct block.  Not drilled, not a wacky 7" drop, just a nice 4" dropped beam.

2.  A decent '32 frame with a stock K-member and no floorboard moulded to it.  Not fussed about '35-'40 or modern X-members.

3.  A buggy sprung rear, ideally with a choice of rear crossmembers: '32 and stock spring, or a model A crossmember and spring to clear a quickchange, or even a modified '40 crossmember to get it low.

4.  Early Ford banjo and/or quickchange rear.  Would be nice to have optional split '36 style rear bones for an open drive quickchange conversion.

5.  Flathead with an early Ford 3 speed trans.  Maybe an early OHV option with an appropriate period trans e.g. a LaSalle, Packard or Buick 3 spd.  No modern transmissions.

6.  A stock firewall.

7.  Period tyres. 

8.  Wheels - a decent set of K-H wires would be nice to have.   I'd also be very happy with chrome reversed '49-'51 Merc wheels, or a representation of reversed Ford centre/Buick outer wheels.  Some of the '60s Revell kits had that nice tapered outer, but missing the centre details.

Apart from the wires, none of the above should be that difficult, should it?

I put some real effort into building "my perfect deuce". If I was going to build one, this is how I'd want it.

Revell 32 roadster body and frame, channeled.

Wheels and tires from the Revell '29 Pick-up kit

Engine and seats are from the deuce sedan.

Some improvements would have been a quick change rear end and a duval style windshield. 

Most of mine have already been mentioned, but here goes.  

Duvall windshield

Regular and dropped front axles, maybe with separate spindles that could be flipped, or come in a couple of heights.  This would give some options ranging from "Gasser"  to "Daisy Sniffer"  It would also allow several different wheel and tire combinations to be used.

A lot of motors would be cool.  a nice upgrade of the flathead from the '32 Sedan with some more vintage speed parts would be really neat.  If they insist on a SBC, at least make it an old one.  Make it a '55-57 era with some old school parts and a couple of vintage choices for valve covers.  There was a good reason all of the hot rods were upgraded to SBCs in the late '50s through the '60s.  I would really like a souped up Olds, and they have the masters from the '50 Olds.  It would be easier than doing a motor from scratch.  Other cool motors would be a '50s Caddy (Lifted and modified from the '49 Merc Woody?)  or a nice "W" motor.  (Maybe a 409 with three deuces, or a vintage 348)  A Cleveland would be the bee's knees, but I won't hold my breath for it.  

Vintage or traditional interior and dash options.

Steel wheels with separate chrome spiders and some newly tooled tires   (Any new tires that are different than the ones that are out there are appreciated.  For kit bashers, the more choices, the better.  Same with wheels.  Any newly tooled, well done wheels will generate a sale or two.)

A nicely done uptop for  it.

I am glad to hear that the roadster tooling was not trashed to make the Rat Roaster.  I would settle for a straight reissue of this car, but a well done warm over with a few new parts would make my wallet jump out of my pocket before I could stop it.  I would buy a couple to build, and a couple more for kitbashing just for starters.  I think I had 6 of the roadsters so far and three Rat Roasters, I am planning to grab a couple more Rat Roasters for the wheels and tires, plus the motor has some nice parts.  The Rat Roaster is not as generic as I would like, but it has made great kitbash material.  

If it had the right parts, and a few spare goodies, it might just sell me an extra copy or two of the '29 roadster too.  Kitbashing goes both ways, after all.