Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1/8 Captn America Chopper/1971 issue.

Happy holidays to all,,wishing you the best for 2016!  Its been awhile,,I got this at a recent  NNL  Mtr Cty  area show,,its a  1971  1/8th  Revell  "LA  Street chopper"  kit .That  I /built /converted to the  "  Captn America chopper".  At the show  when I found the kit,,it was at the bottom of a stack of leftover 1/2 built glue blobs,,almost didnt see it at first,,then I caught the corner of the box ,, and freaked  when I saw it!!,,,soooooo,,,had to have it.   " 35$  and  its yours"  he said,,,,I had my wallet out in seconds. Got it home and never looked back.  I have wanted a  Captn bike for many yrs,,but never saw one out there  in a kit form.  It does have a different front fork than the movie bike{ movie bike  has a single tube fork design} and the gas tank is a bit larger than the movie bike,,but other than that,,its  pretty close.  Enjoy everyones build here,,really great stuff.  All the best,,Scotthttp://s1327.photobucket.com/user/axlemount112/media/001_zpsrpevhpy9.jpg.html?o=10

001.JPG

004.JPG

006.JPG

009.JPG

008.JPG

012.JPG

Edited by skymnky721
typing error pics

Thank you sir,,I saw  a few FM  ones on ebay,,about 250$-300$!!  worth,,little out of my range. And,, there  1/10th scale,,but not much "color contrast"  thru-out the whole bike,,everything was all the same plating finish,,rather  toy like look it. So,,glad I was able to do it with a bit more colors to it. It would be great if the companys would reissue all there  60's,,70's  large bike kits.  I have the  tamiya  1/6th  250 Yamaha  MX bike  to do yet,as well as the New  MPC  1/8th  Honda  CB 750!!    Ill have to keep an eye out for more,,thanks again..  S

Great job on the tank,...

Is that a decal or,.. painted ?

Cheers

Thanks so much,,the tank is from a 1/8 Harley Softail snap kit from a awhile back  The original kit tank is a "Sportster"  style,,which didnt really look too much like the movie bike to me,,,,all I did was shave  about 1/4"  overall width of tank halfs ,, then glued the 2 halfs together,,,then  did the white  primer   1st {whole tank} let dry and then taped off rear portion,painted front  blue  with Testors Quick dry enamel,,let dry,,then taped off blue completely,,,then taped off the horizontal  "red stripes" painted   w/testors QD  enamel,,and THEN  {whew}  looked on web for "white star decals" to put over blue ,,the folks @ Microscale  are awsome!  I  ordered  1/35  American Tank insignia stars,, WW2 era.. The decals arrived in perfect shape,cool! .  They worked great,,IMO.  Thanks again  Belugawrx .

Edited by skymnky721

Very nice ! Now you need to build a " Billy Bike ".

Hey Cobraman,,nice to see ya,, thanks ,,you know,,I have been tossing that one around in my head for a few days for sure!   Im trying to find a  1/8  scale helmet  to paint up,,to go along w/this  bike,,but yea I like the idea of the "Billy Bike"   .  I think his was a   "Modified Sportser",, w/a   a springer frontend?  I believe.  Thanks again.

Scott......this is really really good......love it!!!!:wub:

Wow,,coming from you ,,Im highy  honored ,,thanks.  I {we} really enjoy your work as well,,that  green  64' Triumph  is sooo cool,, and  your "Cosmic Charger"  rocks also ! .  Thanks again. 

Edited by skymnky721
typo error

Wasn't Cap America a panhead?

You are correct sir!,,I didnt have the panhead mtr for it,,wish I had,,so I just went w/the knucklehd that came w/the kit,,and if you look really close at the movie bike,,the rake is less,,meaning the front steering section is lower than this bike,  and the frame on the movie bike is a  stock sportster style or some variant , not a custom style  like this one,I think the seat is just a bit different,also.  And the kit  came with  a duel carb setup,,the movie bike has a single carb,,so I used a carb from an  old  1/8 revell  triumph mtr  modified the intake setup ,,and used a 1/25th  air cleaner from  a car  for the round air cleaner  But  I traded all those features being  different ,,for at least  having  a "replica"  of the iconic  bike,,and when I  look at it w/the springer front end,,it looks kindof cool in this style,,,hope that helps.    Thanks for viewing,,all the best!    S

Edited by skymnky721
typo