Model Cars Magazine Forum

68 charger gasser , final assembly

crazyrichard

when you search dodge charger gasser you find nothing .. only a sort of out of proportion poly body-ed thing ..

just now i figured i would look at flip front cars and just typed dodge charger flip front .. google saif .....tilt front and i clicked and found these pearls >>>>>

whow blast from the past .. how cool !!

i can not find any more pictures of both cars ... or is it the same one perrhaps , repainted ???

well firewal i closed , maybe  will ad some stuff but nthe base is there , run some bars from the side chassis through the firewall , mainly the idea cae because those sides looked so empty and clean

rough version needs sanding , primer etc ..

like this > would be cool for a garage dio

well went straight axle ... leaf springs , set the hight ... some mock up wheels ....had to mke the wheel wells larger towards the front bumper ..(longer opening)

now i have enough room for headers ad the axle with some shocks ..

i need to make shockmounts and shocks now

here you see the front chassis section

need to change that for the flipfront so cut that off

now i need help and opninions ......

3 options .. opinions are welcome since i like ll 3 options and cant decide ...

1 : keep going like this and just make a serious shiny gasser

2 : keep going like this and make a more weathered (the body) gasser

3. go apolcalyptic gasser and give it some tyres with profile for dirt ...(dirt drag?) a spare wheel on the back , some round rod push bumpers and other stuff you would expect for such a vehicle ...

started on scratch build shocks today , first made a bracket out of hard plastic card , used 2 rods i had with an eye ... put a pin needle through with flat head

then drilled open some casted schocks out of the partsboxes .. glued in the grey rod

ik heb eerst 2 kit schokbrekers open geboord en daar de grijze stang in gelijmd

thren cut them .. and made a larger lower surface by heating it a bit , on the pic its not sanded flat on the bottom ..

on ne side i had a thin rod of the pin needle coming out .. used chrome steel beads on that side

with some round styrene and pinn needles made the bottom mount , later glued a square plate on the back thats gos on the axle

put the schocks on the chassis and axle .. also visible the brake discs i will use , look strirdy but they fit in a smalles diameter wheel / rims , discs will be crome and calipers .. ?? painted ... some brake lines later on !

on the tyres now the track width in front will be more narrow then on these pics but for mock up i used closed rim backs that wont go over the discs

visible schocks from the front

then drilled open some casted schocks out of the partsboxes .. glued in the grey rod

ik heb eerst 2 kit schokbrekers open geboord en daar de grijze stang in gelijmd

funny, I hadnt noticed your Dutch (never do pay a whole lot of attention to the avatars)

Waar kom je ergens vandaan?

ik ben zelf Jaren geleden uit de Brabantse klei getrokken

funny, I hadnt noticed your Dutch (never do pay a whole lot of attention to the avatars)

Waar kom je ergens vandaan?

ik ben zelf Jaren geleden uit de Brabantse klei getrokken

ooops lol well.. i missed that , still text for a dutch forum ....

ik woon in ridderkerk en in rotterdam geboren .. woon je al lang in michigan ?

i need some help .. off course i want a fat hemi in this charger ....

now i still had some abused versions , at least i think .....

i can choose from 2 rocker covers , i believe both sets are from a hemi .. found some dpictures from ones that look like like the sets i have ..

they are very rough but >

wich one should you choose , will be sanded and primered and painted .. but the grey ones or the chrome ones that are loose on the bench ??

not that the chrome ones fit better due to the hight but i could get the grey ones to fit .. just need to change the oil pan slightly

431f3ff17171a2502abcd6f44328dae7.jpg

157c0f33a9a90036c7d4409b877ffde3.jpg

opinions are much apriciated ..ohh and these are both hemi covers right ?? i searched a lot and found some very similair

Edited by crazyrichard

already looked up some hemi intake manifolds ... found one in the partsboxes that looked very similair ...

it was one molded intake

then cut out the manifold from the plate untill it looked like the ones i found on google

glued a white plate on the engine for now

then drilled a hole and 4 mout holes for a carb

on the engine

lookes like this .. very very rough still needs a lot of work

so what are the opinions ?? RIGHT TRACK FOR  HEMI OR TOTALLY NOT ...? again i can switch to the chrome version covers from the previous post ??

thnx ! tes i think i will use the ribbed ones , they fit better under the flipfront hightwise .. now its a matter of cleaning up the engine block .. looking at hemis and decide what carb to make on top ...will be a single carg .. again a fitment thing .. will fit perfect with a aircleaner where the scoop is ..

i could go crazy and close the scoop on the front and open it in the middle and just put a nice blower on the engine with a scoop ??

thnx guys !

I'd say it but I'd get a warning point so I'll just say Holeee Cow!!!! Great work on everything. Those shocks are outta tha park man!!!!

thnx ... send me a pm if you cant say something openly :) .. no warning points there hahaha you can say anything ... i'm guessing it ha to do with the revell valve covers ?? lol

thnx mike ! , just starting .. engine , chassis will get way more work ... interiour needs to be all build .. i'm thinking more racy inside with a rollcage .. maybe more racy seats ...

after a lot of sanding and changing stuff , looking at hemi pictures i'm a bit further ..

now i made a oil filter atachment and oil filter on the right side (looking at the front) like i saw the first gen hemi's mostly had .. filter sticking out horizontally

primed the lot and tetsfitted it  ..

gooing to use a single 4-baarrel carb .. i will look at carbs and put more detail like cables and stuff into this and when painting give it a wash for depth

on the valvecovers there is a rough spot .. there was  small hole in both covers .. looked like there was ment to be like a oilfil cap but that doesnt make sense so the rough spto is bondo i just put on ..

NOW QUESTION !! > the oval shape with the slot / hole .. what is it ? i cant find anything and almost all covers are just closed with only sparkplug holes ??

now i did found one pic of a hemicover that had something similair and it had a sort of thingy mounted on it , so what is it ?

i'd rather not clean / close that so close to the sparkplug hole and it kind of looks cool ...

and second question ....are the covers on the right way now or do i need to turn them .. they have slots / indentations on both sides so it would be a matter if the slots should be above , close to the intake manifold or like i have them now

overall vieuw

from the bottom

engie will be visible from the front when the front is on .. i like it ..

Your valve covers on the engine now are for the second-generation Hemi (426) so be sure to get your distributor in FRONT.

The "slots" are for breathers, like this...

attachment.php?attachmentid=23457&stc=1&

To answer your most recent question:

Your valve covers seem to be on upside-down. The more-square corners go to the bottom...like this...

street-hemi.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

thnx ! yes i found out they are breathers , thnx ! .. i will make those .. and already got a comment on the fact the coers need to be flipped , they where still loose and not glued

thnx for the picture i can use that ~! i already have a bunch but on this it shows the distributer and alternator in a perfect angle :)