Model Cars Magazine Forum

68 charger gasser , final assembly

crazyrichard

thnx guys !!!

but today was pfffft home from work i couldnt live with the dark spot in front of the grille , just a horrible sight .. needed to do something about that

long story in the end i tried masking and spraying orange ..

stupid !! its pretty cear stuff wont cover dark spots .. then got frustrated and sprayed to much .. whole grille and the flat edge in front where ruined , primer visible ...

then had dinner that didnt taste good due to the ......ggrrrrrr had some coffee and realised i could not mask it because of the bumper shape .. then got the idea to do a black nose with a stripe ...

a bit like the rear but i did not copy that .. i felt because a large part would be black and the flip front is quite massive it would look better making a black nose with one extra stripe ...

managed to mask it with paintes tape , only thing i had left from diy jobs in the house , cut bands and masked it all .... this was the result .. maybe a good thing this happened because this design kind of completes it , also the thick edge around the grille opening now doesnt look so massive , usually this has an edge of the hood but since i made it all one piece / flip front ...

bac0b3a180c4fd83b8d06e9a12864095.jpg

28a54df3e7a175894f4db10f0da02efd.jpg

288d65567688f2ed5a77a58958e6b6c9.jpg

d895a2dbe74be950deaa015b7d5b4807.jpg

5ec7168338fc3928d584ef7dff8588a8.jpg

a592584893459a854fa75439af93af75.jpg

5e1eb7ea651a2ac3f240d0808e0d2b60.jpg

Edited by crazyrichard

thnx joe ! and yes i was stressed out but in the end it turned out great .. too bad i cant make decals would be cool to add hemi letter decals .. i know a guy who can make high grade decals .. maybe ... could do them on the rear quarters or on the top of the flip front ...

well thnx but .... the clear layer went wrong .. the primer is the same brand as the black ... orange went fine over the primer and the black went fine over the orange .. but clear over the black .. NOT !

it wrinkeled , on top of the hood earea a tiny bit , luckely the grille and inside are not affected .. but the front edge and bumper and underside of the bumper are horrible ..

so i wil have to let it cure and then polish as much out as possible and then respray the front section the tickest part ....

looks good

but no .....

sides are fine

front is a disaster but again luckely the grille is fine all those ribs and with the depth that would be impossible to get right without stripping

well .. after lots of sanding .. getting rid of the black .......i got it in a paintable state . hard when you need to keep the orange unharmed ..

found out what went wrong , the black is a large rattle can and that can be put on nice and thick and always comes out smooth as a mirror .. where taliya dryes quick and you can tape or paint again .. the back (local diy market brand) should have been left alone for 2-3 days it hardens from the outside in and the top layer(s) seem hard but underneith it stays soft longer ..

so painted tha black yesterday and today put clear over it , also a nice good coat of clear ... so that might be why it reacted ..

now after sanding and really taking off all the sticky soft black underneith ... i taped it off .. because i accendentally scuffed the orange i needed to make the black on the nose longer ....grrrrrr

now the idea was to do a tiny line close to it like on the rear charger stripe ... but i mis taped and ended up with this a wider orange line and a small black line .. again grrrrr

so its def. not as nice as the first design and man i'm done at this point .. dont want to strip it .. will cost 20 euro for new orange and new clear and all the work .. so i will have to make this work ... so bit of a let down

i could spice it up if i had a second black decal striping like on the rear , take half of that and stick it against the thin black line to tie it in .. or do hemi lettering on the hood .. but downside is then i would have to clear .. and i dont have the nerv. to do that even not after a longer dry perioud ...

its not hideous .. but the other desig looked better

thnx remco !

well top layes is dry and i have to say it kind of growed on me .. starting to look better then when i redid it ..

i have 2 chrome r/t badges fromt the kit , sanded them thinner and washed the deep inside with black .. looks cool on the corners / sides on the black nose part .. breaks it visually .. so after a few days i will put those on .. first i will leave the paint alone for 3 days now .. pfffttt

btw all the above happened in about 3 hours , so from the wrinkling to fixed .. frustration makes you go for it hahaha

i even have one set of charger r/t logos left for the grille ..

thnx hugh ! and yes that made me smile .. at this pint it grew on me and i'm fine with it now ... one thing looking in the light you still see the lines from the ornage stripe from the previous design .. but .. again i'm happy i could re-re-save it ..lesson learned :)

thnx

Nice save. I got stressed out just reading that, I would have lost my mind and thrown it in a box, put it on a shelf for another day when I could stand to look at it again...that's what I do with my kids when they act up too.

hahaha lol at the kids comment .. i have one son of 11 years old .. never trew him in a box but i could have stuck him behind the wallpaper sometimes lol .. nah i love him .. and well i was stressed out .. but my reaction to stuff like that is i have to fix it and i have to fix it now .. right at that moment .. cant chill till its fixed :)

Richard I think the grill area is fine. I would leave it alone becuase you run the risk of causing a bigger probkem. Looking forward to seeing this finished,

yeah going to leave it alone , just put the charger and r/t decals on the grille .. on the raised parts where they should sit and put a tiny layer of micro chrystal clear over them .. painting the inside of the hood and body is a weekend job . when i have all the time .. i was thinking about handpainting a edge . then mask and spray the rest .. maybe i will just do it by hand ....

I would leave it alone also and I like the wider black stripe that's on there now better than the first one now both look good but I just like the second one better.

vince

thnx :)

It's been a while since I popped in on this one. Work finally blocked this site so I can't reply there any more and I've definitely missed a lot but have now caught up. Great save up front there Richard!

hmmm so you had a big GRRRRRR moment :) haha lol

just read this whole build thread . amazing work . very inspiring .

some might say orange fits a Dutch made car . but im not into sports . so ill just say it looks really good anyway thumps up ...

yes you are right .. that said i'm not into sports as well def. not football , wich is actually a nono in holland , a guy that does not like footbal ...lol .. i even dont watch when holland is laying in the europe championship ...

and thnx !!

just got the front of the paint stand and dryfitted in on the front , still fits perfect and the pins fit in the holes .. so the paint inside is no issue .. i marginally took that in consideration .. but that has to sit tight because when its againt the body it needs to stay in line and not sit there all wobbely..

the circles on the hood as i expected look good now , some found them a tad big .. but now with paint i like them and they are stirdy as  a rock , the pins will be painted black on the pics below they are still silver .. will look good in black and in keeping with the black / orange theme

carb and engine are visible through the scoop .. i wanted to put in black mesh now i'm in doubt , when you look in the scoop you really see the carb and throttle

added a gauge pod on top of the dash .. why not :) needs a bit of black paint and some clear to finish it off

project painting the inside of the flip front was a unsuspected succes ...

why ? , well i tryed gloss enamel .. dont know i wanted matt but i figured look and see how that looks and if i dont like it i will do the second coat matt ..

i wanted to spray it , but i wanted the whee arch edges orange and maskin that tiny edge and with the scoop i decided to hand paint it ..

so i did the gloss enamel , new jar , stirred but it didnt cover the orange well especially on edges of the brace and the large flat surfaces .. i figured i'd do a few coats ...

when it was dry enough i put on a second coat of gloss enamel , usually i manage to do stuff like that covered great and looking good with no brush stipes ..but the second coat didnt coer well either ...

so then i though should i trow some flower over it and give it texture and later paint it matt ? .. oh waight i have a lot of pigment powders from valleo .. so i sprinkeled black pigment powder over the semi wett enamel black paint .. after shaking most off , i took a large brush with long soft hairs and brushed the rest off ..

what i saw then made me smile , it reacted in a way so it made the black paint smooth overall , every inch and every nook and cranny .. it had the matt from the powder but the gloos under that gives it a kind of weird shine , not shiney but a weird effect ..

now the idea is its a liht weight polyester flip front and in a way it looks like semi finished polyester now .. then just painted black .. so without knowing i did something that turned out perfect !!

the plan is .. to spray some cloth tape matt black and make like panels on the hood earea .. like protection from heat .. i think that will look like the stuff you see under car hoods ....

here you can see the cool effect it gave

actually just what i want